PDA

View Full Version : Let's play the budget game...

Pages : [1] 2

GoboFraggle
06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
The challenge: Stretching $550 on a Disneyland weekend.

You need: -A place to stay for 2 nights minimum (1 room, 1 bed)
-Food for 2 adults for 3 days
-Gas for 800+ miles for the trip (roundtrip), with a car that averages 24+ per gallon highway.
-Anything else absolutely required

You already have: -Deluxe Annual passes (1 with parking)
-Some snacks, bottled water, batteries, etc.

What will you do?

Take your chances bidding for rooms on Priceline? Go through a humiliating bag search where Disney Security questions you about the 8 lb. ham you tried to sneak into the park for sustenance? Run out of gas on Harbor right before you reach your hotel?

The choice is yours.....

adriennek
06-06-2007, 03:40 PM
The first thing I'd do is read this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=70701&highlight=college) and take notes.

Adrienne

SANDYMARIE
06-06-2007, 03:59 PM

-Gas for 800+ miles for the trip (roundtrip), with a car that averages 24+ per gallon highway.

What will you do?

Take your chances bidding for rooms on Priceline? Go through a humiliating bag search where Disney Security questions you about the 8 lb. ham you tried to sneak into the park for sustenance? Run out of gas on Harbor right before you reach your hotel?

The choice is yours.....

I'm sorry..........but this just cracked me up! Really I can't stop laughing!

Sandymarie :)

Quinten27
06-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Thats easy......

Gas - $110.00 - Avg. of $3.25 per gallon, 34 gallons needed.
Hotel - $150.00 - DL Motel 6 Internet Rate for 2 nights.
Drinks - $50.00 - At $2.50 each, you get about 3 per day each.
Food - $180.00 - 6 meals each, $15 avg. per meal.
Extra - $60.00 - To do a little shopping. :)
__________________________________________________ _____

Total $550.00 - One happily cheap Disney weekend. :)

backsthepack
06-07-2007, 04:46 AM
I hate to say this, but I would just stay home. THere is nothing worse to me than going on a vacation where you have to budget like that. Now, don't get me wrong, I budget our trips. But never that close.

spectromen
06-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Thats easy......

Drinks - $50.00 - At $2.50 each, you get about 3 per day each.:)

I'm gonna cut this back a little bit. If you drink soda or water, you can go get a couple 6-packs of each at a grocery store and spend closer to $10, yielding $40 more cash.
And 2 nights hotel? Absolutely no reason to pay $150 for Motel 6. Bid 45-50/nt on Priceline for a 3 star and you're closer to $120 for something much nicer and can then add $30 more to the stockpile.

Good luck!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Pack an ice chest with block ice and sandwhiches, water, soda etc.....

If you are near the park, make the walk back for meals.

Also, totally agree with price line, put in 3 -4 stars start the bidding low and take a chance.

mistofviolets
06-07-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm gonna cut this back a little bit. If you drink soda or water, you can go get a couple 6-packs of each at a grocery store and spend closer to $10, yielding $40 more cash.
And 2 nights hotel? Absolutely no reason to pay $150 for Motel 6. Bid 45-50/nt on Priceline for a 3 star and you're closer to $120 for something much nicer and can then add $30 more to the stockpile.

Good luck!

Er; huge flat of Arrowhead from Costco is only $5. Comparable price at Target, or most other places. Generic is even cheaper. And it'll last all 3 days. I don't drink soda, though, others might find water only too much of a sacrifice!

One nice meal, with leftovers for a snack later, each day plus a hotel breakfast is all you really need.

Mr.Bear
06-07-2007, 08:28 AM
What about finding more money?

E-bay some unwanted items. It isn't that hard and you'd be surprised of what you can sell on there. This is how we went to Disneyland a few years ago.
Save up your change at the end of each day.
Give up a few things (starbucks, candybars, eatting out) before hand to save money.
Return bottles and cans. While returning bottles and cans may seem like nickles and dimes, they do add up.
Get creative, find ways. If you truly want something you will do anything (within integrity) to get it.

A way we saved money on food while at Disneyland was find a hotel with a frig and microwave. Then we packed the ice chest at home with bag salads and frozen pot pies and pasta main meals. 2 of us easly ate a dinner in our room for under $10. Also fruit, milk and cerial make a cheap breakfast.

There are many people who would bend over backwards to visit Disneyland, I think many times we / "I" don't appreciate it as much as I should.

Mitchwebb
06-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Don't forget to add $30 for parking if you get a hotel on priceline some charge $15 a day. Maybe bid $40 on a 2.5.

honeymoon @disney
06-07-2007, 11:11 AM
What will you do?

The choice is yours.....

Well, I know! Just wrap the ham up in a baby blanket, and pop it in the stroller. I'm sure it could pass for under 3 years old. A bit of strategic parking in the sun and it should be cooked by the time you're hungry!
(And the smell should deter anyone from stealing the stroller!!) :D :D

backsthepack
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
What about an emergency fund? Blown tire, dead battery, etc.? Better add that to the budget (been there, done that on more than one trip).

DangerMouse
06-07-2007, 03:25 PM

What will you do?

The choice is yours.....

Ok, I can do this. I HAVE done this:

Hotel: Entertainment Rate at HoJo - $54 for two nights ($108 + tax) Walk to and from the park -- no parking fees!

Food: Take box of cereal, bananas, soy milk and have breakfast in the room. Carry in high protein snacks with you (turkey jerky, cashews, trail mix, peanut butter/honey rolled in tortillas). Plan for one meal in the park per day and purchase a kids' meal at WWS or split a meal at Pizza Port or French Market. Split meals at MiMi's Cafe.

Gas: Well, there's no way around that. It's gonna cost what it costs.

I think you can keep it under $550 if you both have AP's. We travel from Phoenix and have been able to keep our short trips around this amount.

I actually enjoy the challenge!!

yenko427
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I have to say that this thread made me smile and laugh and I think it is great. Especially wrapping the ham up in a blanket and putting it in the stroller.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I hate to say this, but I would just stay home. THere is nothing worse to me than going on a vacation where you have to budget like that. Now, don't get me wrong, I budget our trips. But never that close.

I would rather do a budget vacation to DLR than not do one at all. I really don't think any of the costs listed were that tight of a budget. You can easily eat for $15/not BB but you can eat. Once I am at the park, all that matters is being there, not how much money I have in my pocket.

limace
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Man, don't stay home! From everyone's great research, this looks like no problem at all (and I think you could even stretch to three nights if you didn't plan to eat much, if anything in the park, skipped souvenirs, and drank water). Good for you! The visit to the park, not the shopping or the overpriced food, is the really important thing :) I wish I lived closer.

covert
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll share my plan for a 2 night trip for 2.

- Greyhound bus to and from (cuts the gas price from Phoenix in half)
- Most travel sites seem to have a hotel in the area (some within walking distance) that are about ~60 a night. No need for priceline.
- Taking the risk to get tickets on ebay (but you've got that covered with your AP)

That should be under $400. Then add on Fantasmic! balcony seating (were it still available), lunch at the Blue Bayou, and an engagement ring, and maybe even a surprise extra day at the park. The budget plans are just to get her to go.

hefferdude
06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Didn't mention where you were leaving from but let's say the bay area.
1. Forget the car. Don't need it.
2. Pack one of the bags with high energy healthful snacks/fruit. $50.
3. Pick your day carefully and fly Southwest Airlines from OAK to SNA for $59 each way. $240 for both people incl taxes and fees. Parking $30
4. Shuttle to and from SNA to DLR. $15 each way. Total $60 (plus tip )
5. You have a DAP so Hojo's AP discount ( LNAP ) ~$90/nite plus tax and room tip. ~$215.
6. Breakfast continental - you brought it.
7. Lunch - Whitewater at the GCH. $20 for both. Next day Bengal BBQ.
9. Dinner - Mimi's by Hojo's or 2 ceasars 2 wines and split a lasagne at La Trattoria in DCA say $60.
10. Fly home.

so

$240+30+$60+$215+$20+$20+$60+$60 = $705

Still got $$ for a nightcap or two at the Hearthstone Lounge or Lost Bar.:cool: :cool:

The Fraggles. Dance your cares away, worries for another day, let the music play, down at Fraggle Rock. It was one of Henson's best:)
Gobo! Wimbly! Red! Uncle Traveling Matt! Sprocket! The Doozers!

GoboFraggle
06-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, I know! Just wrap the ham up in a baby blanket, and pop it in the stroller. I'm sure it could pass for under 3 years old. A bit of strategic parking in the sun and it should be cooked by the time you're hungry!
(And the smell should deter anyone from stealing the stroller!!) :D :D

*Laughing* :D

kiwifuz
06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Okay here's my take, I'd go the budget route with Priceline also. We were there in May during some sort of cheerleading competition, beginning of Spring Break & still got the Hilton Costa Mesa for $66/night. I wouldn't go for bidding $40 on a 2.5 star if I could try for a 4 (maybe even 3) star place for not much more. The only issue is the parking fees, those can be hairy. Browse around what people are getting price wise on Priceline on www.biddingfortravel.com and see what comes up. Worst you can do is the AP rate a the HoJo or a cheap motel then that's what happens.

This last trip we picked up bottled water & carried the bottles with us during the course of the day. We'd just refill at a water fountain, so a 3 day trip you could get away with 1 six pack. I personally am not into the flavor on the Anaheim water, so I bought a box of the Crystal Light on the go things or whatever they call them & mixed that in my bottle of water. Worked well. :)

I think it's totally possible. Maybe not with expensive, real, sit down meals every day, it can be done. Breakfast pick-up things at the store to eat in your room, or grab a real breakfast before the park & eat a snack type thing for lunch. I personally would rather eat a huge breakfast & a snack. Dinner go for things that are reasonable but decent. But then again I'm from the Midwest so In-N-Out Burger is my dinner of choice at least one night while I'm there.

Let us know if you decide to go & how you set it all up!!

sjcivilady
06-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Just returned from two days in the park and here's how we saved on food: brought Panera's bagels & cream cheese and yogurts for breakfast. Lunch was the only meal we ate in the park - 1st day we got 3 chicken strip meals (5 adults) at the saloon in frontierland - was plenty of food - we had ice water. One dinner was from the Subway right next to our hotel (just hit the spot since it was about 10 pm by the time we got to eat) - another dinner was to have pizza delivered. A large from Pizza Hut was about $14. 2nd lunch - I split a shrimp salad with my brother at the sourdough place in Ca Adv. Both days we got ice cream as a treat in the afternoon. We brought in our own snacks: indiv bags of trail mix, Munchies mix, and tiny Hershey bars. I think it's fun to see how reasonable you can do a trip. I had gotten a 3* hotel through hotwire for ~$290 for 5 nights. I think there are probably lots of meals at the park you can split between 2 people - and I like to eat a light lunch, so I can enjoy a treat later on.

Bolivar
06-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Funny, $550 for two not counting tickets doesn't even sound like a budget trip to me.

jenbolen
06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I friends and I do weekend trips for under $350 from the Bay Area. We drive down Friday, do the parks on Saturday, then head home Sunday.

Travel Lodge offers ridiculous deals, call them and ask if they still ask for a "honey of a deal" deal -- pay $40 for one night, the second night is half off. So $60 for two nights, easy. We'd stay in Buena Park. If you have a car, try to get a little further away from Disneyland, you'll save a lot on hotel rooms. And just ask for directions to the park -- everyone knows how to get there!

Including $150 for gas, that's only around $240 for room and transport. Since you already have passes, it'll leave $300 for everything else. Good luck!

DianeM
06-10-2007, 01:43 PM
This is easy. About $110 for gas leaves $440. You should be able to find rooms near the park for $110/night or less (I checked getawaytoday.com for the end of this month, on a weekend). Even allowing for taxes and parking, you should have over $150 for food for two people for two days. Breakfast in your hotel room, one meal in the park (not blue bayou) and sandwiches in your room for dinner. If you travel during the week or wait until fall you can probably get a cheaper room or one close enough to the park to take a shuttle or walk, giving you more money for food or maybe a few souvenirs.

What will you do?

The choice is yours.....

Leofoenget
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM

What will you do?

The choice is yours.....

Weekend only??