PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Adds Magical “8th Day” To The Week

Darkbeer
06-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

DISNEYLAND ADDS MAGICAL “8TH DAY” TO THE WEEK

Dreams Come True for Eager Fans Waiting to Ride The New Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

ANAHEIM, Calif. – June 6, 2007 – In the spirit of Walt Disney’s renowned ability to create magic, the Disneyland Resort is sprinkling some pixie dust on the calendar and virtually creating an “8th Day” in its operating week in anticipation of high demand for the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage attraction, which resurfaces June 11 in the Tomorrowland Lagoon. The subs return as part of the ongoing Year of a Million Dreams celebration at the Disneyland Resort.

Starting June 11, the day the subs resurface, guests will be allowed to join the queue until official park closing and the subs will continue their voyages to find Nemo for up to 2 1/2 hours after park closing.

“We’re very excited to bring back the classic subs attraction, which we know will appeal to guests of all ages,” said Ed Grier, President, Disneyland Resort. “In order to meet what we believe will be very high demand, we’re virtually adding an ‘8th day’ to the week.”

The magic continues with a focus on Disney-style service. While guests are anticipating their underwater adventure, they’ll be invited to “Find Nemo” while voyaging through the queue. Armed with a special Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage activity guide, they will search out “Hidden Nemos” along the way and play other Nemo-related games.

And when the hunger for the adventure becomes too much, fun Nemo-themed food creations, such as a snack pack with cheddar fish crackers mixed with an “East Australian Crunch,” popcorn buckets, cupcakes, frozen apple juice and more, will be available for purchase in ports along the way and throughout Tomorrowland.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage takes its inspiration from two over-the-top entertainment experiences – the worldwide smash hit Disney·Pixar motion picture Finding Nemo and the Resort’s fondly remembered classic Submarine Voyage attraction that opened in 1959 and retired in 1998.

During the summer months, on average, Disneyland Park operates 16 hours per day. With 2 1/2 additional hours of potential operation each night (17 1/2 hours total per week) for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Disneyland is offering guests more than an extra day each week to enjoy the attraction.

Highlighted this summer by the Grand Opening of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, the Year of a Million Dreams celebration at Disneyland Resort features a full lineup of immersive character encounters and other “Dream-Come-True” experiences. There are opportunities for guests to meet and play with Disney Princesses at Disney Princess Fantasy Faire, join a band of pirates at Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, duel with Darth Vader at Jedi Training Academy, or show some school spirit in the High School Musical Pep Rally.

For more information about new attractions, the Year of a Million Dreams and vacations at Disneyland Resort visit www.disneyland.com (http://www.disneyland.com/), call (866) 60-DISNEY or visit your local travel agent.

Andrew
06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Um. Disney has always allowed guests to join queues up until park closing as long as the attraction was open that late. What's new?

hefferdude
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
the magic of "not" holding the line near closing?

VickiC
06-06-2007, 11:42 AM
The magic of telling us they will probably cut the line off at what they estimate to be 2 hours (right at the entrance to the main area under the monrail the sign says 120 minutes from this point) and then only be open "up to 2 and a half hours" after closing and any more than that you are out of luck.

VWCat
06-06-2007, 12:28 PM
ahh,cool,good to know!

DianeM
06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
If the wait is long enough to require games and food, I really hope that they have "magical" restrooms somewhere along the queue.

Burnt Toast
06-06-2007, 12:53 PM
No, there have been instances where that wasn't the case. Indiana Jones after it opened on very busy weekends for example.

Well, either way... I was thinking that they were going to go with the plan to close the line early to close the attraction at a decent time.

Either way this summer it was either leave the poor Attractions Cast Members to stand out at the front of the attraction at like 10pm to tell Guests that the line is already is closed to get screamed at by every Guest or have those Attractions Cast Members off as late as 4am and keep the line open until close.

... but, either way, it's a win/win for Guests. However, to make a big deal about it is kinda weird.

I just want my cupcake.

VickiC
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Either way this summer it was either leave the poor Attractions Cast Members to stand out at the front of the attraction at like 10pm to tell Guests that the line is already is closed to get screamed at by every Guest or have those Attractions Cast Members off as late as 4am and keep the line open until close.

They will still have to cut the line off and the attractions CM's will probably still have to deal iwth angry guests. Looking at the week of July 4, for example. The weekday closing time is 11 pm. Let's say the line is running at 4 hours long. They will have to cut it off at 9:30 pm in order to gurantee everyone in line gets on by 1:30 am, 2.5 hours after park closing.

Wallad1075
06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I think it would have been smart to do what they used to do with Blast! over at DCA. Offer "tickets" to ride the attraction at certain times throughout the day. Just for the first few weeks/months until the hype dies down.

For example, add a small printout in the park maps to "pick up your Nemo boarding passes". Guests would visit a kiosk either on Main St or near the attraction and be given a "time specific" card to use to come back and enjoy the attraction. Similar to a Fast Pass, but they would have to somewhat strictly enforce the times. It would require a bit more planning on the guest's part, but could possibly control the line a bit better so you didnt have a 4+ hour wait going all day long.

Who knows...I'm just thinking aloud. It should be interesting to see how this all plays out. Either way, its going to be difficult to cylce all guests through on a normal operating day given the capacity vs run time. :|

Jagdcarcajou
06-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Looking at the week of July 4, for example. The weekday closing time is 11 pm.

If you punch in those dates on the Disneyland resort page under calendar, it shows the park open till 12:00 AM everyday, just as an FYI.

On the plus side, if there are enough people in line to make a two hour wait at midnight during the week, the rest of the park should be fairly open. :D

VickiC
06-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Last week it was showing that week closing at 11 pm, must have been a typo that they fixed. Any hoo, a two hour wait is not that many people. Go check out the line arrangement, I was amazed by where the 120 minute sign is.

neverlander
06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
If the wait is long enough to require games and food, I really hope that they have "magical" restrooms somewhere along the queue.
That's exactly what I was wondering! How easy would it be to get back in line if one person has nature calling?

disneyshoes
06-06-2007, 04:49 PM
So glad it says 12! It has said 4th of July closing at 11 for months :) Do you think since they are adding an additional 2 hours after closing they will open the ride during EE?

cstephens
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Um. Disney has always allowed guests to join queues up until park closing as long as the attraction was open that late. What's new?

That was back in the old days. I've seen them cut lines off before closing if there's already a very long wait.

Good to know they're doing this with Nemo. It means I'll want to go down there on a night I normally wouldn't and plan to get in line around closing and then having the park mostly empty by the time we're done with the ride.