PDA

View Full Version : Not staying in a hotel - what to do mid-day?

cookie7762
06-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I go to DL every year, usually multiple time, and like most people, we go back to the hotem in the late afternoon to refresh, eat, avoid the crowds, and return for evenings/night rides and fireworks. Well this August I am joining a friend as she moves to huntington beach. I am driving down with her so she isn't alone, then we are going to DL for 2 days wither her roomates, and I am flying back home (Sacramento!). My problem is that since her home is far away, a trip back in the afternoon is really inconvenient. Unfortunately, I insist on being at the park by opening, and I desperately love the fireworks and other rides at night, so going for half day is not an option, but I don't think I can last all day, open to close, at the park. Has enyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions about what to do/where to go in the afternoon to freshen up, cool down, and catch our second wind?

Leap for Joy
06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I recommend viewing a movie in Downtown Disney. It's cool, dark, and comfy.

biolabetty
06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
GCH lobby is my favorite place to relax. It's cool, the bathrooms are really nice, and I love to sit there listening to the music.

jenbolen
06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
i always take a breather in the animation center at DCA. it's cool, dark, and the characters come to you!

emmah
06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
i second all three of these suggestions - i have done all of these things mid-afternoon when my feet were in need of a rest. if you are cashed up, another suggestion which is a huge favorite of mine - head to the spa at the GC and have a massage and spend some time in the steam room! i did this toward the end of my week in january and walked out after a couple of hours feeling totally regenerated.

DaddyB
06-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I typically wait out the harsh afternoon sun inside the Movie Theaters at Downtown Disney. The lobby of the hotel or animation building are great for maybe 20 minutes of rest, but if you're looking for long term, the theater is where I go.

As Foulfellow Fox said in Disney's classic "Pinocchio":

"Off to the theater!"

rargirl
06-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Make sure you have a nice relaxing lunch outside of the park. Marri's Italian right across the street is a good place for this and has a nail place next door. So maybe lunch and a pedicure to revive those "Disney Dogs"?

(The address for Marri's is 1194 West Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802 It is in an older mini mall that looks kind of bleh from the outside, but I promise you, you will not be disappointed, it is delish! I have also been to the nail place lots of times and they are very good!)

cookie7762
06-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Make sure you have a nice relaxing lunch outside of the park. Marri's Italian right across the street is a good place for this and has a nail place next door. So maybe lunch and a pedicure to revive those "Disney Dogs"?

(The address for Marri's is 1194 West Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802 It is in an older mini mall that looks kind of bleh from the outside, but I promise you, you will not be disappointed, it is delish! I have also been to the nail place lots of times and they are very good!)

I *LOVE* this idea! Now just to find a place with a good cocktail or two and I will be set!

Syndrome
06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Definitely the Lost Bar for me.

Pat-n-Eil
06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
There's always the Cove Bar in DCA too. They have some appetizers and a full bar. You can watch the California Screamin' cars as they take off too.

adriennek
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Hearthstone Lounge (bar) at GCH. Big comfy chairs. :D

Adrienne

Pat-n-Eil
06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Hearthstone Lounge (bar) at GCH. Big comfy chairs. :D

Adrienne

Yes! And last time we were there, we had a nightcap and a most interesting long conversation with a castmember who worked there. What a fun and memorable experience for me and my family.

Clotho
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Another vote for the Animation Building. Cool, darker, and some fun video montages to watch and relax.

NOTHING can replace the quiet respite of a hotel room. You must resign yourself to that. But there are places to catch a little less of the crowds and noise, which may require a few visits throughout the day to truly add up to the relaxation of a hotel room.

I like the idea of going off-property. Aside from the actual tangible reasons of less bustle and theming, a change in energy, if you will, can do wonders. Mentally knowing you are "outside taking a break" can be a big difference from being onsite, while still trying to find a way to check out of that energy for a bit...

charpaul
06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Mimi's is also a nice afternoon visit away from the park.

Quite - cool - good food - nice to rest there...

Niwel
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Echoing earlier comments: Spa ... Balinese massage
Or the GCH lobby (I always fall asleep in the chairs).

rargirl
06-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I *LOVE* this idea! Now just to find a place with a good cocktail or two and I will be set!

It's not really a place to have a cocktail *giggle* -- but the same mini-mall has a liquor store ;)

emmah
06-07-2007, 05:18 PM
(I always fall asleep in the chairs).

Hee! I am so glad I am not the only one who does this. When I wake up I always feel both guilty (since I am not paying to stay there, it seems wrong to fall asleep in their chairs!) and slightly sheepish (did I drool? talk out loud? it is only ever for about 10-15 minutes but it always feels like I've been out for hours).

TinaMouse
06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Another vote for the Hearthstone Lounge. EXCELLENT. However, I do like the pedi idea!