PDA

View Full Version : Those Spendy Souvenir Soda Cups

Jason Reynolds
06-19-2002, 02:20 PM
I went to Magic Mountain last weekend and they were selling souvenir soda cups for $7.50 and refills were 99 cents. Does Disneyland have anything like this in affect? It's a good deal if you share with someone.

Uncle Dick
06-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Jason Reynolds
I went to Magic Mountain last weekend and they were selling souvenir soda cups for $7.50 and refills were 99 cents. Does Disneyland have anything like this in affect? It's a good deal if you share with someone.
Disneyland does have $7.99 (I think) souvenir cups with full priced ($2.19) refills. A much better deal is the Grand Californian Hotel souvenir cup which costs $7.99 and features FREE refills for the "length of your stay" (aka forever). The downside of this cup is that it can only be refilled at Whitewater Snacks inside the GCH and it's also pretty small (about the size of a small coffee thermos).

Allysen1Derland
06-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Souveneir soda cups and popcorn buckets frustrate me!!!! I always end up getting suckered into them! It seems like a good deal at the time, but I can't stand getting stuck holding the cup/bucket all day long, so it ends up getting tossed and thus, no refills. It's always the cute pictures on the cup/bucket that get me to buy one, but even if they make it home, they still get tossed. It's not like you can display them in the glass front kitchen cabinets (well ,you can, but...eek!) and when having a dinner party or get-together, I don't want to serve guests cocktails in "Goofy Ware". I would'nt wanna look into Pluto's eyes while sipping a margatini! However, that souveneir stuff is good at the beach or by the pool!

gautry
06-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Allysen1Derland
. It's not like you can display them in the glass front kitchen cabinets (well ,you can, but...eek!)

Why not I display mind

and when having a dinner party or get-together, I don't want to serve guests cocktails in "Goofy Ware". I would'nt wanna look into Pluto's eyes while sipping a margatini!

I love using the stuff at dinners parties and sipping margatini out of a goffy, Halo, or Duck cup works for me

Tigertail777
06-20-2002, 11:57 AM
I have seen some nice displays where people carfully cut these apart to be flat pieces of plastic, and then mounted behind glass, also seen some people do the same and make pins out of them by buying those flat backed pin pieces at craft stores, mounting the plastic pieces on thin wood and putting the pins on back. Both ways they look pretty nice if done right. Just some suggestions if those plastic "collectables" start to overwhelm you. I personally collect brochures to theme parks, but it is getting a bit out of hand as well, so I was thinking of doing something along thses lines for those as well.

Allysen1Derland
06-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by gautry

I love using the stuff at dinners parties and sipping margatini out of a goffy, Halo, or Duck cup works for me

I suppose that did sound a bit "uppity", didn't it? I'm sorry! That wasn't my intention! Y'know, it's definitely one of those personal preference dealies! The souveneir cups are so adorable, but I never know what to do with them!I It's just like snowglobes. I love 'em and used to collect 'em, but my boyfriend freaks at the very sight of them. And I have no idea why! They're so cute! Oh, well. Personal preferences, I guess! As for margatinis, to be honest, I'd drink them out of ANYTHING! My hands if I had to!! Haha!:D

Lani
06-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
A much better deal is the Grand Californian Hotel souvenir cup which costs $7.99 and features FREE refills for the "length of your stay" (aka forever).Enjoy it while you can, uncle boy. If you didn't read Mike Scopa's article, "Policy Change 'Mugs' WDW Guests" (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/refillable_mugs_policy_changes.htm) that we ran yesterday, WDW is testing out the use of UPC codes and scanners to tie your mug to your hotel registration. If this gets implemented resort-wide, DL probably won't be too far behind.

Techie7
06-20-2002, 02:46 PM
Just read the article. Very interesting to see how they ultimately work out the system. Should be very interesting. I still think the resort should sell a sort of AP Refill program. Fountain drinks cost next to nothing and they could easily charge a high price and make it worth it to a branch of AP's. It seems that some type of wristband would work as well at the parks to identify drinks.

Then again Disney could just implant a chip into each guest allowing them to purchase items by carrying them out the door and never have to "pay".

Uncle Dick
06-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by lani
Enjoy it while you can, uncle boy. If you didn't read Mike Scopa's article, "Policy Change 'Mugs' WDW Guests" (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/refillable_mugs_policy_changes.htm) that we ran yesterday, WDW is testing out the use of UPC codes and scanners to tie your mug to your hotel registration. If this gets implemented resort-wide, DL probably won't be too far behind.
Nooooooooo! Not my precious refillable mug! Let's just hope that Disneyland is too cheap to implement this "amenity".