PDA

View Full Version : Premium Annual Passport [at] Disneyland vs. Walt Disney World

gtpinoy
06-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Just browsing both websites and found this a little interesting. The PAP for Disneyland is $359.00. The PAP for Walt Disney World is $445.00.

Does anyone know how these price are determined? It looks like those getting APs here at Disneyland are paying more and getting a lot less then those that can get the Walt Disney World APs. Am I missing something?

Drince88
06-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Where are you getting your prices? I just looked on the WDW site (specifically, here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/tickets/ticketsLandingPage?id=TicketsLandingPage)) and Premium Annual Passes are 559 for adults and Theme Park Annual Passes are 434. (595 and 462 with tax, respectively)

ETA: Premium AP at WDW means access to the 4 theme parks any day of the year, plus water parks and I think DTD/PI and Disney Quest (not positive). Theme Park AP gives you 365 days/yr just at the 4 main parks.

There's also a Florida Seasonal Pass, but you have to be a Florida resident for that, and there are block-out days.

gtpinoy
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Where are you getting your prices? I just looked on the WDW site (specifically, here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/tickets/ticketsLandingPage?id=TicketsLandingPage)) and Premium Annual Passes are 559 for adults and Theme Park Annual Passes are 434. (595 and 462 with tax, respectively)

ETA: Premium AP at WDW means access to the 4 theme parks any day of the year, plus water parks and I think DTD/PI and Disney Quest (not positive). Theme Park AP gives you 365 days/yr just at the 4 main parks.

There's also a Florida Seasonal Pass, but you have to be a Florida resident for that, and there are block-out days.

My mistake. I checked the Florida Resident PAP (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/tickets/ticketStore?categoryPass=DORY_ANNUAL_PASSES&productPass=WDW_AP_FL_PRM&country=USA&stateProvince=FL). Proof of Flordia Residency is required and that price is $445.00 'For all four Theme Parks, Disney Water Parks, Pleasure Island, and more, this is your very best value. You can even go from Theme Park to Theme Park on the same day. The magic is yours 365 days a year.'

Why doesn't DL/DCA offer a PAP for California Residents discounted?

VickiC
06-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Why doesn't DL/DCA offer a PAP for California Residents discounted?

Because they don't want the parks packed with SoCal residents on their already busy days. SoCal residents don't spend as much as those who come from further away and stay in hotels.

KDR
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Because DL already has a humongous amount of local attendees. In fact, I'd guess that over 90% of DL PAP holders live within 100 miles of DL. They don't have to offer discounts to get locals interested.

OTOH, the majority of people who visit WDW are from out of town, and there are just not as many people living in the local area when compared with Southern California. (Which, of course, means less PAPs sold.) It's a completely different market.

gtpinoy
06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Because they don't want the parks packed with SoCal residents on their already busy days. SoCal residents don't spend as much as those who come from further away and stay in hotels.

Because DL already has a humongous amount of local attendees. In fact, I'd guess that over 90% of DL PAP holders live within 100 miles of DL. They don't have to offer discounts to get locals interested.

OTOH, the majority of people who visit WDW are from out of town, and there are just not as many people living in the local area when compared with Southern California. (Which, of course, means less PAPs sold.) It's a completely different market.

Very good points. I didn't even think of the saturation of the market here. I have a PAP myself and just wish more was offered for the price.

I've gotten to the point where, I'd go to DL/DCA to walk around and get a bite to eat. Unless the wait time for the ride is under 20 minutes or it's a ride I really want to go on, I don't even think about attractions.

KDR
06-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Very good points. I didn't even think of the saturation of the market here. I have a PAP myself and just wish more was offered for the price.

Honestly, for what you get, it's a good price already. Factor in your parking and discounts, and then figure how many days you visit per year. If it's more than four times, you're making out like a bandit. $83 for a one day parkhopper plus $10 parking just four times is well over the price of a DL PAP. And that's not even taking merch and dining discounts into account. A DL PAP would be a bargain at $600. At $359 it's a steal.

gtpinoy
06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Honestly, for what you get, it's a good price already. Factor in your parking and discounts, and then figure how many days you visit per year. If it's more than four times, you're making out like a bandit. $83 for a one day parkhopper plus $10 parking just four times is well over the price of a DL PAP. And that's not even taking merch and dining discounts into account. A DL PAP would be a bargain at $600. At $359 it's a steal.

Very true. Don't get my wrong. I love the fact that I can pay $359.00 and pretty much go to DL/DCA every day for $0.98, plus transportation costs, however, it'd be nice to have a theme park like that of Disney World here though.

I think David Koenig did an article not too long ago entitled 'Next on the Chopping Block' which in a nutshell stated that Disney has a knack for closing an attraction when a new one comes in. I just wish that more would be available to APs in regards to things to do.

KDR
06-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Very true. Don't get my wrong. I love the fact that I can pay $359.00 and pretty much go to DL/DCA every day for $0.98, plus transportation costs, however, it'd be nice to have a theme park like that of Disney World here though.

Once again, though, it's not just two completely different markets, but two completely different destinations. And "destination" is a key word, here. WDW is, in and of itself, a destination. Everything is there, including a fire station and a gas station. You don't have to leave property at all unless you're heading to or from the airport! It's geared towards tourists and keeping them there, on property, for the entire length of their stay.

DL, on the other hand, is a whole different kettle of fish. First of all, they simply don't have the same amount of land available. There's no way to offer things to tourists that they do not have the room for. And they don't have room for much beyond what's there already. It's much more of a day (or weekend) trip than a destination. There's nothing like Pleasure Island or Disney Quest, nor is there any room for such places.

And if you want to compare theme parks, do note that while the Magic Kingdom at WDW is larger than Disneyland park, it actually holds fewer attractions. (HISTA and Star Tours are at Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios, respectively, and Matterhorn and Indy are not at WDW at all.)

Finally, take into consideration that while you may indeed get a bit more overall with a WDW PAP, to take full advantage of it you'd have to live in central Florida year round. And no offense intended to any central Floridians, but I'll take SoCal over that any day of the year.

Mr.Abominable
06-05-2007, 09:51 AM
We have PAP for WDW and DLR and one thing that DLR has that is superior is Passholder discounts inside of the parks. WDW does not offer a discount on merchandise or food inside of the parks. There is a discount on merchandise at the World of Disney though. DLR offers some type of discount on nearly everything for its AP holders. I am sure that we easily recoup the cost of our passes with the 10-15% savings on all of the things that we purchase. :)

gtpinoy
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Once again, though, it's not just two completely different markets, but two completely different destinations. And "destination" is a key word, here. WDW is, in and of itself, a destination. Everything is there, including a fire station and a gas station. You don't have to leave property at all unless you're heading to or from the airport! It's geared towards tourists and keeping them there, on property, for the entire length of their stay.

DL, on the other hand, is a whole different kettle of fish. First of all, they simply don't have the same amount of land available. There's no way to offer things to tourists that they do not have the room for. And they don't have room for much beyond what's there already. It's much more of a day (or weekend) trip than a destination. There's nothing like Pleasure Island or Disney Quest, nor is there any room for such places.

And if you want to compare theme parks, do note that while the Magic Kingdom at WDW is larger than Disneyland park, it actually holds fewer attractions. (HISTA and Star Tours are at Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios, respectively, and Matterhorn and Indy are not at WDW at all.)

Finally, take into consideration that while you may indeed get a bit more overall with a WDW PAP, to take full advantage of it you'd have to live in central Florida year round. And no offense intended to any central Floridians, but I'll take SoCal over that any day of the year.

Once again KDR, your insight has brought light to the difference in prices and made me a much more content Southern California PAP Holder. =)

What can I say?! I love Disneyland and no matter that the price of the PAP is, I'm still going to renew year after year. (I might have to bite my tongue if prices reach above $500.00)

I didn't know that Matterhorn and Indy are not at WDW at all. That's a pretty interesting factoid. I always thought that WDW would eventually get what DL/DCA has someway or another (i.e. Soarin Over California in DCA and Soarin at WDW).