PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon arrival at DLR- Where would you start?

squirrel44
06-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I will be arriving at Disneyland in the afternoon on a Tuesday with a 3 year old. Which park would you go to and where would you start. I know where to start when arriving in the morning, but haven't done an afternoon before. We will be there for 5 days, just wanted opinions on what to show her first without waiting in huge line ups.

Foodie
06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
What time in the afternoon will you be arriving? And when will you be going? This month, next month?

This is what my family did years ago and it was probably our best trip experience. We entered the D-Land park about 4pm, sat down right in Main Street for the parade (Mulan at the time), then took a train trip around the entire park to see all the sights, then went on the big stuff, POTC, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, etc, and then went to dinner around 6ish. Then we just hit all sorts of other rides until we got hungry again around 9ish and had a second dinner...To this day that is still an afternoon that my family waxes poetic about.

Good luck and have a great time!
-Foodie:D

squirrel44
06-03-2007, 05:22 PM
We will be there at the beginning of September, I'm guessing around 1:30-2

Foodie
06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Then here's what I would do: Take a trip all the way around the park very first thing to take in all the sights and sounds, then get off somewhere and have a leisurely late lunch. Because it's September on a Tuesday it shouldn't be horribly busy, but I could be wrong. You can try and hit all the big rides first and then move on to the smaller ones next. You'll be there in time to see either parade and the fireworks if they still do them in September, so try and take the time to see those too. My favorite tip for the fireworks is go see them in from of IASW, nobody goes there and you get to see everything.

Have fun!
-Foodie :D

PanFan
06-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I try to hit the high capacity rides during the afternoon after the crowds have picked up. You may want to go get a FP for Buzz or Autopia first, then maybe take the train around to NOS and do POTC and/or HM. Or you can take the train all the way over to Toontown and get a FP for Roger then ride IASW or play in Toontown while waiting for your window to open up.

neverlander
06-03-2007, 06:52 PM
You get five days... Perfect! I would say, walk through the gates, and just wander! Take in the sights and let her point out what peaks her interest. Go on whatever you feel like.
The parade is a great way to illicit the "Disney" mood and mindset.
If it's hot and you get tired, head to Bug's Land. She'd love that whole area in DCA. In Sept., the lines won't be bad and it's a good "warm up" for priming for the rest of the trip.
Consider an Ariel's Grotto dinner if she's into princesses.
You'll have a great time. Take lots of pictures!!!

Gilesmt
06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
You may want to consider RideMax, it always gives me a great idea of what to avoid and what to go on and when, you can play around with each for everyday of your vacation and determine when is the best time to go back for a nap and when is the best time to do the big rides. It also gives you tips on where to see parades and where to sit for fireworks. If you are going to be there for 5 days I think it is about $3 a day to buy the program, someone else may remember but I think it is $15 for a 90 day program. Just an idea because I find it very useful and does give me the best days and times for everything I want to see. And if you do not follow it exactly that is okay, it reminds me what times to pick up fast passes and how to save them and use them later in the day, and if we get off track at least we still have all the fast passes for later in the day. It is great.

Malcon10t
06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Entering the park for a 3yos first time, I would walk in and see what characters are in front of teh flower planter. Then I would go out onto Main St and see what characters are there. Then I would take one of the Main St vehicles down to the Castle. Then head into Fantasyland. Being a Tues in the off season, it shouldn't be too bad. I would try Dumbo, STorybook Canal, Casey Jr, etc... Worst case, walk back to IASW. When we have taken the 3yo groups, they are in total awe of this stuff. I would do a few of these rides before trying Pirates, HM, and other darker rides. See what characters are just inside the castle area, but they are generally villians which may be too scary.

jMom
06-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Does your 3-yo have a favourite movie? Character? Ride? Those might be good ways to start too. I like the parade/train ideas a lot too!

Seeing the park with my young kids is different from going to the park by myself or with other adults. You will really enjoy slowing downa nd looking at things and characters with your little one. Have a great time!

Malcon10t
06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Seeing the park with my young kids is different from going to the park by myself or with other adults. You will really enjoy slowing downa nd looking at things and characters with your little one. Have a great time!
This is so true. I can just picture telling a 3yo "No, we cant stop and see Tigger, we need to hurry and get in line for Pirates!" A 3yo is going to be awed in Fantasyland. I will never forget my 2 4yo nieces on IASW, telling everyone that would listen "This is the coolest ride ever!!!!" This was after riding Space Mountain (which got a review of "That was NOT fun!")

squirrel44
06-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the great ideas!

It's hard for me to guess what she would like to do as I never went to Disneyland until I was a teenager. My niece is not into doing any of the scary rides. I think once she gets to DL she might get into it a bit more. We just got her to ride some of the rides in the mall (spinning Mickey and Minnie).

The train is an excellent idea-I forgot it isn't just transportation!

I know she likes the princesses, but when she see's them up close I don't know how she will react. I did take her to the dollar store, she seemed to like the idea of getting autographs from the characters.

I think this is a trip that I won't plan much.

Anyone know what time the parades might be?