PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Troop going to Disneyland!

Shellmaney
06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
My daughters Girl Scout Troop (just bridged from Brownies) is going to Disneyland on the 19th. (we live in Arizona) The girls are so excited. The whole trip is paid for becuase they sold so many cookies. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? There will be 10 girls and 4 adults (yeah! I'm one of them!!!). We are staying at a good neighbor hotel.

I've been looking through the message board and I've seen some very interesting info. But I still have some questions. 1. EE days - one is Tuesday when we will be there but what time is it at? 2. Are there EE rides or are the shops just open? 3. Bringing food in the park? My sister-in-law (troop leader) wants to bring subs in for the girls to eat for lunch to cut down on the price of the trip. Will we be stopped? 4. What direction should we head in first - like what "land" should we go to first? 5. Any freebies out there I should keep in mind? *and free condiments and water I already know about. :-) *

Thanks for any information provided. I'm so excited - probably more than some of the girls are. :-)

Suzie Minnie
06-03-2007, 02:03 PM
You cannot bring subs into the park. They only allow water and some snacks from what I understand. Good idea though.

Fantasyland is a great land to do first b/c some of the lines can get so long. Go on Peter Pan's flight, Dumbo and rides like that first. Save IAMW till last b/c that is a fast moving line.

Have fun and good luck!:geek:

adriennek
06-03-2007, 02:06 PM
1. EE days - one is Tuesday when we will be there but what time is it at? 2. Are there EE rides or are the shops just open?

The answers to these questions are in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=71142&highlight=Early+Entry) which is right here on the top of this forum but I found it by searching "early entry"

3. Bringing food in the park? My sister-in-law (troop leader) wants to bring subs in for the girls to eat for lunch to cut down on the price of the trip. Will we be stopped?

14 subs is a lot. They'll probably stop you. I'd bring a couple of small coolers and just plan to leave them in a locker by the picnic area.

5. Any freebies out there I should keep in mind? *and free condiments and water I already know about. :-) *

This thread covers that topic (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=71037&highlight=free). If you have any clarifying questions, you might post them there.

Have a good trip!
Adrienne

SANDYMARIE
06-03-2007, 02:20 PM
First off......Congrats on a great cookie sale! We wanted to do this with our troop back in the early 90's but it was too costly.

I personally would start off going to the most popular rides before the lines get too long. Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and such.

A cooler with food put in a locker would be a good idea too cut cost. Most of the eats in the park is costly!

Have a wonderful time!! :)

Sandymarie (former Troop Leader #267)

VickiC
06-03-2007, 02:27 PM
What was people's reaction when you told them that was what your cookie money was going towards? I would think it would be negative, but maybe I'm wrong. There's a bit of an expectation in our community that it will be used for more educational activites.

BIRDGIRLS
06-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Sounds like fun! I hope you have a great time!
Last year for our end of the year trip, my Girl Scout troop went to Disneyland. We're senior Girl Scouts now and ENCOURAGE YOUR TROOP to stay involved! Colleges love it! We all received our silver awards and one of us is going for the gold!

Have fun!

Karin
06-03-2007, 03:18 PM
My only convern about leaving the subs in a cooler in a locker would be the size of the locker needed to hold the cooler and the price of renting said locker would then negate the cost-savings of eating in the park.

I'd suggest biting the bullet, eat in the park and create another special memory. Fodd there, some of it anyway, is unique enough that it's not something you'll get at home and the girls will have fun!

VickiC
06-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Most of your girls are probably still able to do a kids meal, I would think at ages 9 or so? The most filling kids meals, IM are actually at the sit-down restaurants, and they are the same price, 5.99, as the counter service kids meals. With such a large group it might be best to just make reservations and keep everyone seated, rather than try to go thru fast food lines. Cafe Orleans has some options beyond just burgers, my kids love the chicken meal and with two drum sticks it is pretty filling. Plaza Inn also has very generous sized kids meals.

Malcon10t
06-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Pizza Port also offers an excellent kids meal. You can get a small pizza slice or spaghetti or mac and cheese, bread and a kids size drink with a straw for $6. Pretty good deal. I would vote for a sit down at Plaza or Carnation for the girls.

Expect to have to leave the cooler in the picnic area and have to come out of the park to eat. My vote? Take the girls in the park to eat.

mistofviolets
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
How close are you staying to the park?

You could always go back to the hotel to swim and eat and cool off; then head back in. That's probably what I'd do...you'll have a big group of girls to try and seat and feed anyways! The girls can always bring their own small bag with a sandwich, water bottle, small amount of money, emergency numbers and a sweater.

Have fun!

Drince88
06-04-2007, 03:54 AM
Are you going to the parks for multiple days? I thought the only way to get Early Entry was via a 3-day park hopper or more days?

So if you're going on an Early Entry Day and only have a single day ticket, you won't be getting into the parks early.

And as far as Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Camp Fire Cookie/Candy/Whatever sales, I've always assumed that those funds go to do whatever the troop is doing that costs money. If it's for a school, the kids usually say what kind of 'fund' the money is going to, and it's usually for something fun, like playground equipment or field trips.

Shellmaney
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm really excited to go. As far as Troop money goes - that was several posts ago... the troop has discrection to do what they want with the money they earn. It's not just Disneyland for one day and nothing else for the rest of the year. They do A LOT of educational projcts. With their cookies sales they also asked people to donate a box or two to the VA Nursing Home. The girls collected I think over 300 boxes.

Tinkermommy
06-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sure you've already got this covered, but since they're still relatively young (coming out of third grade, I assume?), I'd add:

-Make sure they all know what to do if they get separated from their adult. I have trouble keeping people from getting between my ONE kid and I; can't imagine how hard it would be with four or five. Yikes! I've trained my daughter to go to a cast member at a food cart, in a store or outside a ride/attraction, and not to just look for someone with a badge. (Disneyland sells name badges that a scared child could confuse with a real one, so I've trained her where to find the "real" cast members.)

-Establish the procedure for separation on rides -- if you're in separate cars and some get off but the rest are delayed inside the ride, make sure they know to wait.

-Take a digital photo of each one before you hit the parks. If you happen to temporarily misplace one, you immediately have a picture of her, and what she's wearing.

-Make sure each girl has your cell phone number

-If they are allowed to go free (which I assume at this age they're not), make sure they know NOT to get off the Monorail in Downtown Disney. I rode with two unaccompanied young boys once (gasp) who were STUNNED to learn they were no longer inside Disneyland when they started to get off at the Downtown Disney stop. I don't know what made me ask them if they had their tickets as we were disembarking, but I'm glad I did -- because they didn't. They had no idea they'd gone outside the park. They ended up staying on. Yikes!

Have a GREAT time!!