PDA

View Full Version : Interesting find... 1962 Disneyland employee handbook

JamesDL
06-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Found this online and thought it was pretty interesting. Goes into deep details regarding treatment of guests, grooming, safety, etc...

http://jamlez.com/ebay/employeehandbook.html

The only thing about it, is it makes the cheerfulness of the CMs seem a little.... what's the word.... "Mechanical" now to me.

However, I think that the "code of conduct" should be practiced by all of us human beings (treating ALL with respect, regardless of class; smiles; general tact; etc). I feel that if these DISNEYLAND rules were practiced by humankind, the world would be a much better place to live in. :)

What are your opinions?

jcruise86
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks, JamesDL! That was interesting, especially (for me) the section:
"EVERY GUEST RECEIVES THE "VIP" TREATMENT" and the part about an "honest smile." As Disneyland provides more and more ways to get a little extra with more $, I think it is moving further from Walt's goal of making every guest a VIP.
Today it seems like it's "Yeah, yeah--everyone's a VIP, but if you want a really good seat for Fantasmic or the parade . . ." I'm sounding like a broken record, but the parks are moving away from the more popular one-class policy of JetBlue, SW, and MW; and moving toward the multi-class system of American and NW Airlines.
I went to the El Capitan and was annoyed that getting there early didn't help me get the best seat, because these were for people who paid more. Of course they're free to do that, but I haven't been back. I prefer my more democratic local theaters.
Fastpass also separates guests, but does so by knowledge rather than by $.

Back to the subject of Disney CM training: When I saw a Disneyland training film in the 1980s I was a little creeped out with one that included the line, "I know a place where there are all the answers!"
I love Disney parks, but not to the point of making it my religion.

Rapunzelthorn
06-03-2007, 10:35 PM
That was very interesting! I'm wondering what "go aheads" are? :confused:

My parents started taking my older siblings to Disneyland in the mid '60's and went every year with the whole family. My dad always commented on their cleanliness and courteousness. He was quite impressed and didn't feel that anywhere else compared. I guess that it's obvious to see why that was!:)