PDA

View Full Version : Black Pearl?

Disney Daddy of 4
06-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know what has become of the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman? Any chance they will ever bring them to DLR and let people walk through them?

Gilesmt
06-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I was just watching the travel channel today and they had the disney cruise line on and the flying dutchman (is that the name) is on the cayman island or whatever the island is that disney owns as a private island for the ship to go on the last day. Sorry, I was not watching it to closely, but when I read your question I remembered that the ship was there and thought I would write. Maybe someone who knows more will answer also.

Rkkm
06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Last winter or late fall, someone on the MP posted pictures of the Black Pearl tied up to a pier in the LA Harbor. I believe the pier was owned by a ship refitting company. There were many closeups among the photos, and, as I recall, the ship looked trashed.

I have noticed several commercials here in Los Angeles advertising a contest in which all the winners will get to party on the Black Pearl. So, it might still be around here (Los Angeles Harbor, that is).

bassett1976
06-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Last winter or late fall, someone on the MP posted pictures of the Black Pearl tied up to a pier in the LA Harbor. I believe the pier was owned by a ship refitting company. There were many closeups among the photos, and, as I recall, the ship looked trashed.

I have noticed several commercials here in Los Angeles advertising a contest in which all the winners will get to party on the Black Pearl. So, it might still be around here (Los Angeles Harbor, that is).

Its on the opposite side of the LA Harbor as the cruise liners. If you walk through Port-O-Call and walk toward the ocean you might be able to get a glimpse of the Black Pearl.

DangerMouse
06-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Not the Pearl or the Dutchman, but I have been on the Interceptor. The ship's real name is the "Lady Washington". She tours the Pacific Northwest and down the coast quite frequently. We learned that she is also the sister ship to the Columbia in DL.

mi_mous
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
So, let me ask this question...

In "At Worlds End", the Davy Jones Locker part....

Was the actual ship used, or was that a computer generated scene? (Did they actually have the ship out in those dunes?)

mi_mous
06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Not the Pearl or the Dutchman, but I have been on the Interceptor. The ship's real name is the "Lady Washington". She tours the Pacific Northwest and down the coast quite frequently. We learned that she is also the sister ship to the Columbia in DL.

I had no idea it was here, until it was too late.

I'm hoping we can make it down to see it if it comes this way again.

Is there a schedule of where it will be docked?

chiefyouth
06-03-2007, 01:45 PM
The "Lady Washington", or Interceptor, is currently docked in Portland for the Rose Festival. It will be there until June 10th. It cost $5 to tour it and another ship. They are also having mock battles and rides during the nightly fireworks show. You can find all of the info here: http://www.rosefestival.org/events/tallships/ .

I don't know if I am going to have a chance to see it, but thought you might like to know.

DangerMouse
06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
The Lady Washington's schedule can be found here:

http://www.historicalseaport.org/calendar/calendar.htm

mi_mous
06-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the information!

If I make it up to WA, I will be sure to see "her".

Bytebear
06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
On a related, but definitely tangential note:

If you go to Big Bear Lake (about 2-3 hours drive from Anaheim), you can book a tour of the lake on the pirate ship used in the movie "Time Bandits". It's a small scale ship (smaller than the Colombia) but it is a lot of fun. I recommend doing this in the summer (as it is a ski resort area in the winter).

munchkinsmom0003
06-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I was just watching the travel channel today and they had the disney cruise line on and the flying dutchman (is that the name) is on the cayman island or whatever the island is that disney owns as a private island for the ship to go on the last day. Sorry, I was not watching it to closely, but when I read your question I remembered that the ship was there and thought I would write. Maybe someone who knows more will answer also.

You're correct. "The Flying Dutchman" (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/ports/beachDetail?name=CastawayFlyingDutchmanLandingPage ) is at Castaway Cay (Bahamas). We were there back in April and looked really cool sitting next to our cruise ship the "Magic."

We saw the same show on The Travel Channel today and Tom McAlpin, President of DCL said that he asked the producers of the POTC movies about what plans they had for the ship after they were done with it. They told him that they didn't have any and so they worked it out to have it towed to Castaway Cay after filming. Since the movie was filmed in the Bahamas, The Flying Dutchman didn't have to travel far.

Edited to add: We weren't able to go on board, but we rented a paddle boat and we were able to see the ship up close.

tod
06-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know what has become of the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman?

Not me.

Any chance they will ever bring them to DLR and let people walk through them?

I would bet against it, big time. Not only is there no place to put it, but movie props and sets are notoriously cruddy looking in person. And the interiors are often shot elsewhere, in studios, to boot.

I know for a fact that another production used the same boat that was used for Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, because I know the director and several of the stars, and they regaled me with stories of the rules the owners had for use of the ship.

--t