PDA

View Full Version : DL at Thanksgiving

mousecastle
06-19-2002, 07:37 AM
Hello to all,
This is my first time posting and I need your help. I am trying to surprise my husband with a trip to DL on Thanksgiving weekend Nov 27- Nov 30 for our 5 year anniversary. My questions are :
1. Crowds?
2. Thanksgiving Parade ?
3. X-mas Decorations?
4. hours of DL?
I have check the Disneyland website, but did not find anything.
We leave tommorrow for DL for 6 days and our staying at the Hilton Anaheim. Never stayed there before so I will hope for the best, got a really great deal on the room though.
Thanks for your time!:)

RideMax Mark
06-19-2002, 08:24 AM
I would expect the crowds to be substantial -- about what you get during the summer, even more on the day after Thanksgiving. Wednesday won't be quite as bad, but still much more crowded than a normal fall weekday.

There should be a holiday parade in swing by then, the Christmas decorations should be up, and I would expect the hours to be 8am until 11pm or midnight Thurs-Sat.

hefferdude
06-19-2002, 08:54 AM
We used to go one day before and on TG day for quite a few years to enjoy the seasonal decorations as it was fairly light on crowds. We love the change to the holiday season!
Now TG day is also packed. The weekend is heavy traffic.
Try to go the day before TG to do all your rides. On TG day
your only good bet it to go at opening. By 11 it will be very
crowded. BUT - great time now to slow down and enjoy all the
holiday decorations, shows food etc etc. We love it.
And absolutely have a plan A, plan B and plan C.... :)
HHM is coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

mousecastle
06-19-2002, 09:36 AM
:) Thanks so much for the information. I will start looking for some hotel deals. This will be a treat for us since it will be a surprise for my husband and our first time at DL during the holidays. We leave tommorrow for 6 days at DL. :cool:

heidiwhr
06-19-2002, 10:14 AM
mousecastle - be sure to check mousesavers.com for htel deals. We were able to get the Grand Californian for half price a couple weeks ago. Wouldn't that be a great place to stay for your anniversary!

mad4mky
06-19-2002, 10:20 AM
The busiest day I have ever spent at DL was Thanksgiving Day. Terrible crowds...

Only other time it was near that bad was when the MS Electrical Parade was "leaving for good"...on a Saturday.

But...DLR is fun even on crowded days.
Have fun on your trip this week.

Uncle Dick
06-19-2002, 02:30 PM
The crowds on Thanksgiving day aren't too bad, but the day after Thanksgiving is nightmarish. I entered Disneyland, saw the crowds, walked around the Matterhorn, and (15 minutes later) reached the Main Entrance again and left.

stinkerbell
06-22-2002, 12:08 AM
It sounds like you already have the dates well set, but if you are NOT set on that week, the week after Thanksgiving is great. The crowds are light, the hours are good and long, the holiday decorations, parade, HMH, and and shows are wonderful! We did a week in Oct. and a week after Thanksgiving last year and I highly recommend avoiding the Thanksgiving weekend if possible.....I know it's your honeymoon and all, but it might be a more enjoyable trip.....:)

Have fun and good luck! You should find a hotel deal easily the week after Thanksgiving as well. Many discounts don't apply Thanksgiving week, as I've tried to find one in the past. Grrr. :rolleyes: