PDA

View Full Version : Crowds in October? WDW comparisons?

rm3
05-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi, everyone!

I'm seriously considering a trip to DL (my first!) over a long weekend in October. I'm curious about what the crowds are like at DL in October (on the weekend). Can anybody compare them to WDW? Also - and I know this is a loaded question - can anybody give me an objective comparison between WDW and DL? I recently got a bad review for DL, and I find it hard to believe given the number of DL fans out there! I've heard that DL is "more Disney" but I've also heard that there's not much to see. Thoughts?

bloodnswash
05-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Not much to see? Are ya kidding me??!! You will just have to experience it for yourself. :)

I love DL in October. The weather is great, the crowds are less then other times of the year (summer, holidays). Haunted Mansion Holiday is going on. And the park is finally getting into decorating for Halloween. There wasn't much last year but I really enjoyed what DL did have.

I personally don't think you could go wrong by visiting our park in October.

By the way, sorry I can't compare it with WDW....I have never been there.

Maus
05-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Please visit. October is a wonderful time to be in Southern California.

I've been to WDW four times and DL more than I can count. There is no way to compare the two, they incredibly different. WDW is large and fabulous. DL is intimate and, well, where else can you take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour?

spectromen
05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Just keep in mind that last year's "Halloweentime" drew incredible crowds just to see some new decorations. If at all possible, include some weekdays in your plans.

rm3
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
There's no way we'll be able to go on a weekday, unfortunately! We usually do try to plan our trips to WDW (theme parks in general) on weekdays, but my husband's a teacher, so he can't miss much school.

I'm anxious to see what DL has to offer! Can anybody offer a comparison between WDW and DL with respect to crowds? What's the average wait time, approximately, for a popular ride?

Bytebear
06-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Disneyland's Magic Kingdom is smaller in size than WDW but has more attractions. Lines are rarely longer than 60 minutes, and often are 20 or less. The one exception may be Finding Nemo Submarine which is soon to open. Fast Pass will get you around. Peter Pan probably has the worst line in the park, and then maybe Space Mountain depending on the time of day. In the peak day, you will see Jungle Cruise with a long line, but in the evening it will be a walk on ride.

Crowd control during parades and the fireworks can be crazy and you can get stuck in a land with no way to get out, but that is only during the event. Leaving the park right after the fireworks can be crazy too, so instead, hit Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder which will have no lines at all.

The whole resort is also very compact with California Adventure only a few steps across the promenade from the Disneyland Entrance. Downtown Disney is also just as close. The streets outside the park are also an easy walk, so you can go to Harbor Blvd for food or lodging, although I recommend eating in the parks for convenience.

The parking structure is a bit further and you take a short tram ride to the resort with access to Downtown Disney, Disneyland and California Adventure. Get park hopper tickets, start in Disneyland, then head to DCA in the early afternoon, and then back to Disneyland in the evening. You can do this very easily, and on the second day, just do what you liked the best from both parks. (usually I do about 80% Disneyland and 20% DCA)

bloodnswash
06-01-2007, 03:56 PM
What Bytebear said! :) Excellent description....nailed it right on the head. I agree with everything you said 100%.

rm3
06-05-2007, 11:36 AM
That sounds great! I was worried about not having enough time at the parks, but it sounds like a couple of days is perfect! I'm surprised that the ride waits aren't that long -- they seem much shorter than the lines at WDW!

Thanks!