PDA

View Full Version : Answered my own question re: elevators and no SAP

HBTiggerFan
06-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Well I just answered my own question re: elevators and no SAP.

I went to DLR today w/ my best friend, didn't want to get an SAP because 1) It wasn't necessary today (knee was actually doing well) 2) the discussion on the board and the animosity from CMs about abusers made me shy away from it since I don't look like I need one, and 3) it was a very leasurily trip.

So...off to DLR we go, park, go to DCA cause we want to see BLAST! Cause we have never seen it. So we go get our FP, come back, get in line and find otu theres a TON of stairs to get to the level we watned to sit at (mezzaine I think...up the staris). So no biggie, I go ask the CM if theres an elevator or something we could use when they let the people in. She told me "no, only for SAP and or wheelchairs". I went to explain that I don't need an SAP for anything except stairs, and lots of them (5 or so is ok) but she told me "ok, get in line for the orchestra"

We did, but that wasn't the point. I heard the seats on the mezzaine were the best seats and thats where I wanted to sit. I wasn't asking to be let in early or anything special, just to use the elevator. And she wasn't even nice about it. (maybe she was having a bad day...?)

I didn't even try to go on Screamin or Indy because I didn't want to deal with it.

So now the question has been answered. If you don't need any extra assistance to do anything except access the elevators because you can't do stairs you better get an SAP or don't do attactions that have stairs. :(

cstephens
06-19-2002, 11:53 AM
I can understand your frustration, but I'm not sure what else the CM could have done. If the elevator really is reserved for people in wheelchairs or with SAPs, it wouldn't really be fair for a CM to randomly decide on their own who else should be able to go. Conceivably, you could have a lot of people who just don't want to take the stairs and would rather have a ride up the elevator. You of course know that's not why you're doing it, but how would the CM be able to distinguish between the two?

HBTiggerFan
06-19-2002, 01:03 PM
CS, I know. I was wearing my knee brace which is bulky and pointed that out to her too, she could see it. So it wasn't like I was just being lazy. In the future I will get an SAP and use it on the staris only.

adriennek
06-19-2002, 01:52 PM
A knee brace is a visible assistance aid (like a cane or wheelchair.) I thought that people with braces and canes didn't "need" SAP's. Tony? AVP?

Adrienne K

AVP
06-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
A knee brace is a visible assistance aid (like a cane or wheelchair.) I thought that people with braces and canes didn't "need" SAP's. Tony? AVP?

Adrienne K

I'm checking with the expert at that specific location, and I'll have an answer shortly. But the general rule is that "visible braces and balance devices may act to indicate the need for special assistance"

AVP

HBTiggerFan
06-19-2002, 03:05 PM
I think I need more sleep. I forgot to mention that my knee brace was being worn directly against my knee, under a pair of very tight jeans. Yes, its necessary to mention the jeans were very tight because the outline of the brace (metal bars and patella support) was crystal clear through the jeans. I offered to roll the leg up so she could see it, but no-go.

teri
06-22-2002, 08:24 PM
That is just wrong. They should have let you use the elevator. Somebody has it backwards - the SAP is supposed to be the *alternative* for indicating the need for people whose need may not be obvious, not a permission slip.

:::sigh:::

We got back from our 3-day trip on Thursday night, I am not quite recovered... It was all I could do to make one loop around each park each day, and even then we didn't cover all of either park. We had our SAPs, used them extensively, and were treated quite well all around. I used the elevators with no problem. My son is autistic and in the past we have had some incidents, but he did great and the CMs were absolutely wonderful to him this time.

If you need the SAP, get the SAP. But still, that CM should have let you use the elevator.

cstephens
06-23-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by AVP
I'm checking with the expert at that specific location, and I'll have an answer shortly.

Just wondering if you got an answer on this.

AVP
06-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

Just wondering if you got an answer on this.

Actually, I just got the answer on this today.

If a guest indicates to the CM managing the elevator that they would like to sit in the upper seating area, (either balcony or mezzanine as availabe for that show), but that they can not climb steps, they are to be allowed to use the elevator.

If the guest has a special assistance pass or equivalent, (and a visible leg brace or ambulation assistance device counts in this instance), or is using a wheelchair, they will be "loaded" into the seating area before most of the general public. (There are some guests who may be seated at the same time, including those who hold Priority Seating reservations and travel company vouchers.)

If the guest does not have a SAP or equivalent, they will be loaded once all SA guests are seated, and when the general seating of the theater begins.

If a CM refuses to allow you to use the elevator in this type of instance, politely ask for the manager.

AVP

cstephens
06-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Ahh, then it sounds like they didn't treat HB Tigger Fan the way they were supposed to. Bummer. Hope they're training their CMs better.

HBTiggerFan
06-24-2002, 06:19 AM
Thanks AVP :) I feel better now. I can attribute what happened to 3 things:
1) CM was new and didn't have any idea
2) CM couldn't see the outline under my jeans :confused:
3) CM was having a bad day and didn't care

I think it was probably #s 1 or 2 that was the issue. But I know for the future :)

teri
06-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Thank you, AVP.

I sure hope they take the time to clarify that with the CMs. :)