PDA

View Full Version : Rude & Unhappy Cast Member - who to contact?

MeelaneMouse
05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Please don't get me wrong. I love disneyland as much as life itself! However, I was at the park this weekend and had an experience with a cast member that totally bummed me out. He was obviously not thrilled about his job, didn't smile and was totally rude not only to me but to others that he interacted with. I'm wondering if anyone knows who I can contact via mail. I went by City Hall but there was a line and my husband didn't want to wait. I will be there this weekend so I can stop by City Hall again, but just in case any of you had other suggestions.

Malcon10t
05-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Please don't get me wrong. I love disneyland as much as life itself! However, I was at the park this weekend and had an experience with a cast member that totally bummed me out. He was obviously not thrilled about his job, didn't smile and was totally rude not only to me but to others that he interacted with. I'm wondering if anyone knows who I can contact via mail. I went by City Hall but there was a line and my husband didn't want to wait. I will be there this weekend so I can stop by City Hall again, but just in case any of you had other suggestions.You can go to disneyland.com, then scroll to the bottom and click on Contact Us and you can fill out the form there.

MeelaneMouse
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
From the website.... do you think they review them with the cast members? I know when you fill out the form at City Hall, their managers review them.

Malcon10t
05-29-2007, 01:40 PM
From the website.... do you think they review them with the cast members? I know when you fill out the form at City Hall, their managers review them.Someone had posted about a month ago that City Hall was referring people to the website now. I don't know, I would assume if you had a name and a good description, they would.

Niwel
05-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Also, feel free to send Cast Place your story (we take the good and the bad) -- there's a link in my sig line.

Tinkermommy
05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
You can also send a letter to:

Guest Communications
PO Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

unwinded
05-31-2007, 04:55 PM
How about contacting nobody? Don't get ME wrong, I'm all about the guest experience and the magic, but these people are minimum wages employees in Southern California. It's difficult to get by on a decent salary living in Southern California.

I worked at Disney World a few summers ago and I did my best to put on a good "show". I was happy to be there and I may not have loved the job, but it was easy and I didn't want to be sent home. The cast members who had been there a while did not speak highly of recent hires. They would say that there is definitely a decrease in quality over about ten years ago at the Florida resort. You get what you pay for (and apparently Universal pays more). I know this is Florida, but I'm sure it is the same all over. Just in February (once again for WDW) I saw a newspaper advertisement for bus driver jobs up to $10 an hour. THAT IS NOTHING THESE DAYS!!!!!

So, I know it kind of spoils the experience when a cast member is rude and does not smile. Disney stresses traditions and the Disney way during the training process, but they are more relaxed now than in the past and you can't expect the world when the average cast member is making about the same as a McDonalds employee. And complaining to City Hall - guaranteed to fall on deaf errors. You might get a freebie of some sort though.

I love Disney as much as the next guy, but lets be a little realistic here. Sorry if I've offended anybody.

bloodnswash
05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
I have sent many letters (good and bad about the park) via the DL website. However, when they reply to you it will basically be a form letter.

I have also gone to City Hall for compliments and complaints and have filled out a form. I do like how Tinkermommy gave you the address for Guest Communications.

And I think it was pretty cool that Niwel gave you a link for Cast Place.

MeelaneMouse
05-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Thank you all for your input on this. I took the advice and went to the website. Today I received an e-mail. I'm totally satisfied. I didn't want to cause a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure they knew because every other cast member has been wonderful. I love Disneyland!!!!

"Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLANDョ Resort. We appreciate you
taking the time to share your experience with us.

The behavior of (name removed) that you described is certainly not acceptable of
our usual high standards. The DISNEYLANDョ Resort has always considered
Guest courtesy to be one of the most important elements of our
operation. Hospitality is continually stressed to newly hired Cast
Members, as well as those who have been a part of the Disney team for
years. Please accept our sincere apologies for the treatment you
received and be assured that the Blue Bayou management team has been
notified of your experiences.

Again, thank you for contacting us. Comments such as yours are welcomed
in that they assist us in evaluating our operation and our success in
generating happiness for our Guests. "

bloodnswash
06-01-2007, 06:54 AM
It's interesting that your complaint was on a Blue Bayou person. My last complaint to Disneyland was August of last year on our waiter at the Blue Bayou. He was extremely rude! In fact, he was an absolute jerk.

cstephens
06-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Thank you all for your input on this. I took the advice and went to the website. Today I received an e-mail. I'm totally satisfied.

I'm glad they responded to your email.

someimagination
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I think it's a good thing that you're able to email comments and/or concerns about CM's... though I'd just like to say that while concerns sent via email may make it to the CM in question and their management, most of the compliments don't. So if you ever have a good thing to say about a CM try and make it in person, in writing so it will actually reach it's destination :)

Boo's Mommy
06-05-2007, 02:28 PM
How about contacting nobody? Don't get ME wrong, I'm all about the guest experience and the magic, but these people are minimum wages employees in Southern California. It's difficult to get by on a decent salary living in Southern California.

I worked at Disney World a few summers ago and I did my best to put on a good "show". I was happy to be there and I may not have loved the job, but it was easy and I didn't want to be sent home. The cast members who had been there a while did not speak highly of recent hires. They would say that there is definitely a decrease in quality over about ten years ago at the Florida resort. You get what you pay for (and apparently Universal pays more). I know this is Florida, but I'm sure it is the same all over. Just in February (once again for WDW) I saw a newspaper advertisement for bus driver jobs up to $10 an hour. THAT IS NOTHING THESE DAYS!!!!!

So, I know it kind of spoils the experience when a cast member is rude and does not smile. Disney stresses traditions and the Disney way during the training process, but they are more relaxed now than in the past and you can't expect the world when the average cast member is making about the same as a McDonalds employee. And complaining to City Hall - guaranteed to fall on deaf errors. You might get a freebie of some sort though.

I love Disney as much as the next guy, but lets be a little realistic here. Sorry if I've offended anybody.

Unwinded, I agree that not everyone can be all smiles, and some may have rough days, but I think what these folks are expressing here are events and jestures that go beyond that. I know we had several (on various trips) where we have had a cm comment about the "size" of my husband and the mullhulland madness ride and my husband's inability to move faster (and he's bulky and has knee/leg problems, but jeeze!). I don't recall if it was the same CM. And on other ocassions when he has gone alone with our DD who's 4 he was litterally yelled at by a CM for having our DS sitting indian style at his feet in his own private EVC. It was the end of the day, she was just pooped tired and they were actually just sitting in line waiting for the Muppet show to start. They weren't even moving! The CM even threatened to kick him out of the park, to which my DH said, go ahead!

So anyway, I think there are extenuating circumstances that should be reported and dealt with.

BTW, we never got the names of these CM's so we never bothered to report them. But we have most definitely also reported CM's that have gone out of their way to put a smile on our face!

Jim Dear and Darling
06-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I once reported a VERY rude cast member to City Hall. This lady was rude enough that I was willing to stand in line for a half an hour at City Hall to make the complaint.

Don't get me wrong, I woulndn't complain to Disneyland about someone who was just having a bad day, or slightly rude. This lady was positively OBNOXIOUS and she needed to be talked to.

I think we all expect certain standards of service at Disneyland, and no human being can live up to that every single day. But just like I don't get to be rude to the customers I deal with in my job, they shouldn't be either.

adriennek
06-05-2007, 04:22 PM
And on other ocassions when he has gone alone with our DD who's 4 he was litterally yelled at by a CM for having our DS sitting indian style at his feet in his own private EVC. It was the end of the day, she was just pooped tired and they were actually just sitting in line waiting for the Muppet show to start. They weren't even moving! The CM even threatened to kick him out of the park, to which my DH said, go ahead!

I hope that me laughing at this won't insult you ;) Here's why I laughed: We often visit with a friend who uses an ECV. We MUCH prefer her private ECV to Disney's for this VERY reason.

I love your husband's response. The only way it would've been better would be if he said "Fine. I'd like to see your lead. NOW." ;) My friend recently had an incident at Costco where an employee threatened to take away her membership. My friend said "Ok, let's talk to your manager about that... now!" And they did. :~D (My friend still has her membership, btw...)

I once reported a VERY rude cast member to City Hall. This lady was rude enough that I was willing to stand in line for a half an hour at City Hall to make the complaint.

Years ago (like 12 years ago, long time ago,) we had a really rude CM once on Matterhorn. Yelled at us. Yelled. We reported her.

Turns out that CM had a history of yelling at guests. Next time we were at the Matterhorn, we mentioned our previous experience to a CM. That CM smiled, LOL - he SMILED - and told us that CM didn't work there anymore. :eek:

I was glad I bothered to report her. They needed to know what she was doing.

Adrienne

Boo's Mommy
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I hope that me laughing at this won't insult you ;) Here's why I laughed: We often visit with a friend who uses an ECV. We MUCH prefer her private ECV to Disney's for this VERY reason.

I love your husband's response. The only way it would've been better would be if he said "Fine. I'd like to see your lead. NOW." ;) My friend recently had an incident at Costco where an employee threatened to take away her membership. My friend said "Ok, let's talk to your manager about that... now!" And they did. :~D (My friend still has her membership, btw...)

Oh Adriennek, not insulted at the least bit! I can't believe that folks at Costco had the gall to say something!

jcruise86
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
. . .Years ago (like 12 years ago, long time ago,) we had a really rude CM once on Matterhorn. Yelled at us. Yelled. We reported her.

Turns out that CM had a history of yelling at guests. Next time we were at the Matterhorn, we mentioned our previous experience to a CM. That CM smiled, LOL - he SMILED - and told us that CM didn't work there anymore. :eek:

I was glad I bothered to report her. They needed to know what she was doing. . .
I was a CM long ago, but I still remember wishing that guests would report one terrible and hateful CM.
If the CM is just having a bad day, the complaint will probably be isolated and not end his career at Disneyland. But if the CM is regularly awful, you will be doing his fellow CMs and future guests a big favor by reporting the jerk.