PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide: Deluxe Annual Passport?

Pat-n-Eil
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Here's the deal..

Next month my family is going to DLR and we have 3 day parkhoppers for this trip. Recently my wife and I decided to take a Mexican Riviera cruise for our anniversary in January. (depart on the 19th - Return on the 26th).

We want to fly to Long Beach which is a close airport to the San Pedro Cruise Terminal - and we've always wanted to try Jet Blue - so that all works out. Unfortunately there are only two flights listed for Long Beach to Sacramento. One is 9:05 in the morning which we will not be able to make since the cruise ship returns at 7:00 and disembarkation takes awhile. The other time is 5:30pm. So now we're stuck in orange county with our luggage from probably 9:00 or 10:00am until we need to be at the airport at 3:30 or so..

What's a person to do? ;)

That got me thinking.. We could extend our little trip an extra day. Go to a hotel from the cruise terminal on Saturday morning the 26th, go to Disneyland on Saturday and Sunday - then head home Sunday evening? This would require a 2 day parkhopper for two people which is $122 each - but it looks like I could get a Deluxe Annual Pass upgrade from my parkhopper for about $80 a piece.. and then - if I could find the opportunity, I could use them again for an as yet unknown trip. Unfortunately, I would only do this for 2 tickets (myself & my wife).. if we wanted to take our son on another trip, we'd have to pay for him separately.

Anyhow - I've checked the blackout dates and that weekend in January is not a blackout date.

Sooo.. if I can convince my wife to go to DLR at the end of the cruise, it seems to make financial sense to upgrade our parkhoppers next month, doesn't it? Since no AAA enhanced FastPasses seem to be on the horizon, I don't see any drawbacks. (Probably won't need them that weekend anyway).

What say you?

hlbtimes2
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Sounds like upgrading would be logical. Plus, if you could upgrade early this trip, you could use to for the dinning discounts. Not sure what black out dates and your use of EE looks like during this trip, but its at least something to consider. Also, did you book dirctly through the hotel or as a package? If through the hotel, you might be able to save a bit there as well.

Pat-n-Eil
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
I actually booked through AAA on this and we are going during the week - so we'd be ok as far as blackouts even if we upgraded early. I think we're getting some dining discounts through our AAA membership as well.. but that's a good point.

Malcon10t
05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Do it, then you always have the excuse for anther trip ("but we have APs!!!")

Pat-n-Eil
05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
What does an annual passport look like? Does it have your picture on it or just your name?

Malcon10t
05-29-2007, 01:13 PM
A picture and barcode, the type of pass you have, your name, etc... When they scan the barcode, it can bring your pic up on their screen also. Similar to a Costco card, sort of...

Bytebear
05-29-2007, 03:24 PM
If you have parking added to the card (or if you have a Premium pass) you will also have a big "P" on the back.

mkraemer
05-30-2007, 01:28 PM
If you have parking added to the card (or if you have a Premium pass) you will also have a big "P" on the back.

Darn! I was thinking that P was for Pirate!

mkraemer
05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's the deal..

We want to fly to Long Beach which is a close airport to the San Pedro Cruise Terminal - and we've always wanted to try Jet Blue - so that all works out. Unfortunately there are only two flights listed for Long Beach to Sacramento. One is 9:05 in the morning which we will not be able to make since the cruise ship returns at 7:00 and disembarkation takes awhile. The other time is 5:30pm. So now we're stuck in orange county with our luggage from probably 9:00 or 10:00am until we need to be at the airport at 3:30 or so..

What's a person to do? ;)

That got me thinking.. We could extend our little trip an extra day. Go to a hotel from the cruise terminal on Saturday morning the 26th, go to Disneyland on Saturday and Sunday - then head home Sunday evening? This would require a 2 day parkhopper for two people which is $122 each - but it looks like I could get a Deluxe Annual Pass upgrade from my parkhopper for about $80 a piece.. and then - if I could find the opportunity, I could use them again for an as yet unknown trip. Unfortunately, I would only do this for 2 tickets (myself & my wife).. if we wanted to take our son on another trip, we'd have to pay for him separately.

Anyhow - I've checked the blackout dates and that weekend in January is not a blackout date.

Sooo.. if I can convince my wife to go to DLR at the end of the cruise, it seems to make financial sense to upgrade our parkhoppers next month, doesn't it? Since no AAA enhanced FastPasses seem to be on the horizon, I don't see any drawbacks. (Probably won't need them that weekend anyway).

What say you?

Well, since I'm a serial Premium AP'er, I might not be the most objective person to ask....

But, fwiw, we made some plans similar to yours when the Magic was in CA in 2005. We disembarked after a week on the ship on 7/16, the day before the 50th anniversary of the park. We went to the park that day as well as the 17th. To be honest, by the time we got to the park on the 16th, we were exhausted because we tried to see/do everything we possibly could while onboard. Going to the park was fine...and it was the right choice because the 6-hour drive home for us would have been out of the question. Besides that, there was no way we would miss the actual 50th anniversary.

So, yes, upgrade your tickets, and go the park and have as much fun as you possibly can! Besides...as another poster said, it will always give you that incentive to go back...'because you have an AP....'

jeffthechef
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I toyed with the idea when our family went last September. We did upgrade to DAP and they have been great! It was the perfect excuse to go during Christmas time (which is a MUST-DO), and we went again at the beginning of May for another week. If it is within budget, we will make a final trip in September, for a total of 21 days of use. Yes, all of our vacations are at Disneyland this year, and we couldn't be happier!

Also, if you go this route, look into choosing one hotel chain and get signed up on their rewards program. We stayed @ HoJo's and earned 2 free nights on our last trip. If you use it wisely, you can try and build up to a virtually free trip with your passes and free accomodations. Yes, you have to pay for food, but you do that at home anyway:)

Pat-n-Eil
06-04-2007, 12:38 PM
In a recent thread, I mentioned that we will be going to Disneyland later this month. I also mentioned that my wife and I will be going on a Mexican cruise in January and due to the scheduling of the airlines, we would have a lot of time between our arrival back to San Pedro and when our return flight to Sacramento leaves.

So after doing some research and talking to my wife, we decided to extend our stay in Southern California by a day and visit Disneyland on the Saturday we return and also the next day.. then fly home on Sunday evening.

My research also found out that by upgrading our 3 day parkhoppers this month to Deluxe Annual Passes (at least for my wife and I) we could save money over purchasing two-day hoppers again in January. I got buy-in from her and so we're going to go ahead with this plan!!

And since we'll have APs, I might just have to find a way to make another trip or two down to Disneyland in this year..

I have a couple of questions:

What kind of dining discounts can I get by having the Annual Pass?

I've read that the distance (i.e. cab fare) from Long Beach airport to Disneyland is similar to the distance from John Wayne Airport to Disneyland. Can someone confirm this for me?

Thank you all for helping me with this decision. I think we will enjoy Disneyland by ourselves in January. It'll be a nice way to finish our romantic anniversary getaway.

Malcon10t
06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
What kind of dining discounts can I get by having the Annual Pass?10% at most places in the resort. Exceptions: Gibson Girl and Burr-bank Ice Cream and any place that doesn't accept credit cards (ie ODV carts.) Many DTD places accept the discount, but have specific hours/days.

AND you saved even more because tickets go up on Jan 3rd.

jeffthechef
06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
You have chosen wisely, my son...

Pat-n-Eil
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you..

Actually, I guess my transportation for this looks like this:

I'll need to get from San Pedro ship terminal to Disneyland Area on Saturday
Then I'll need to get from Disneyland Area to Long Beach Airport on Sunday.

While I'm at it - is Long Beach Airport to San Pedro similar to John Wayne Airport to San Pedro?

Thanks..

VickiC
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
While I'm at it - is Long Beach Airport to San Pedro similar to John Wayne Airport to San Pedro?

Thanks..

Nope. Long Beach to San Pedro is much closer than SNA to San Pedro. Given your itenerary I'd try to fly into Long Beach. It's a nice small airport and convenient to both San Pedro and Disneyland.

Pat-n-Eil
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Nope. Long Beach to San Pedro is much closer than SNA to San Pedro. Given your itenerary I'd try to fly into Long Beach. It's a nice small airport and convenient to both San Pedro and Disneyland.

Thanks Vicki,
We are planning on flying Jet Blue (for the first time). They have flights from Sacto to Long Beach. $49 each way is good :)