PDA

View Full Version : Morse Code (?)

MickeyFan4Ever
05-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi! I just got back from Disneyland (:( ). I was wondering if anyone knows what the Morse code message that is constantly looping at the New Orleans Square railroad stop means? Is it anything at all? My husband was curious and since I don't have a clue what the answer is, I thought some of you might.

Thank you!

Rufus T Firefly
05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I believe that it is the speech that Walt Disney gave at the opening day ceremony on July 17, 1955.

bloodnswash
05-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I believe that it is the speech that Walt Disney gave at the opening day ceremony on July 17, 1955.

That is correct :)

Malcon10t
05-27-2007, 07:45 PM
It says "TO ALL WHO COME TO DISNEYLAND, WELCOME. HERE AGE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES OF THE PAST, AND HERE YOUTH MAY SAVOR THE CHALLENGE AND PROMISE OF THE FUTURE."

The speech was "To all who come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts which have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

Another Dimension
05-27-2007, 08:22 PM
The message/speech in NOS is actually in Land Line Code... which pre-dates Morse Code.

Bolivar
05-28-2007, 08:18 AM
I just looked up "Land Line Code" out of curiosity and can't find it anywhere. But I did just read a bunch of articles on the history of telegraphs and Morse code and learned that the original Morse code was developed to use with a devise that actually wrote the dashes and dots on paper. The original code didn't work well over the radio so a new code was developed. It was originally called the "Continental Code" and later "International Code". In the US this new code was used by ships and over radios, while the original Morse code was used on land lines.

Could the original Morse be what you are talking about or is there another code I couldn't find information about?

smd4
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Bolivar, you're close.

The code you hear is in fact "Morse Code." There is no code that predates it. Morse invented it (with a co-inventor, I believe).

When radio came along, the Morse code was modified, and several letters were changed. This code is the code used today, which you've correctly identified as "Continental Code" or International Code."

But Walt Disney (or more likely his wife, who was a telegraph operator) knew the difference, and so, correctly, Morse Code is used at the station.

This is one of those Disneyland myths that refuse to die, and just keeps getting repeated over and over again by folks like Another Dimension. I've even seen it printed in a Birnbaum book. But "Land-Line Telegraphy" is nothing more than a description of the way the code was transmitted, not the name of a code itself. Just as today, if your phone is connected by a wire going into a wall, you have a "land-line phone." This doesn't describe the language being tansmitted over that line.

George Eldridge describes how he deciphered the code in a great detective story told here:

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Secrets/Square/Morse.html

MickeyFan4Ever
05-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Everyone -thank you so much for your thorough responses!!!!!

Another Dimension
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
smd4

Nice info...

Thanks. :)