PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa Rewards Card

Pages : [1] 2

kimc0486
05-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I just got a brochure from Visa when my rewards card was sent to me, it lists out where you can use your rewards card for food, shopping etc...

BUT, I am confused, I was under the assumption that this card could be used anywhere with plastic (ie: credit/debit cards) capabilities? Did I misunderstand this?

I am wondering because the brochure lists, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Rancho del Zocalo, Cafe Orleans, Blue Ribbon Bakery and Gibson Girl as being places that you are able to use your card at for DL. Are these the only places?

What about places like Blue Bayou, Bengal BBQ and any other place that accepts plastic? :confused:

Can I use this as a form of payment to upgrade to an AP even if the funds are not sufficient to cover the amount of the AP?

Also, I cant flash my Disney Visa and get the discount AND use my rewards card can I? I think you have to put the purchase on the card for the discount, but I could be wrong?

Thanks for the clarification!!!

Pascomom
05-27-2007, 05:15 PM
[BUT, I am confused, I was under the assumption that this card could be used anywhere with plastic (ie: credit/debit cards) capabilities? Did I misunderstand this?]

This is my understanding also.

[I am wondering because the brochure lists, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Rancho del Zocalo, Cafe Orleans, Blue Ribbon Bakery and Gibson Girl as being places that you are able to use your card at for DL. Are these the only places? ]

I believe these are the places you can get 10% discount by "flashing" the Disney Visa.

[What about places like Blue Bayou, Bengal BBQ and any other place that accepts plastic? :confused:]

You can use the Disney Rewards Card to pay but can't use the Disney Visa card to get the 10% at places other then the restaurants listed upabove. I think!!

[Can I use this as a form of payment to upgrade to an AP even if the funds are not sufficient to cover the amount of the AP?]

Yes, you can use the Disney Rewards card to pay, and you can use the Disney Visa to pay also. Seperately or together. Again, I think this is the case, someone correct me if I am wrong.

[Also, I cant flash my Disney Visa and get the discount AND use my rewards card can I? I think you have to put the purchase on the card for the discount, but I could be wrong?]

I have used (flashed) my Disney Visa to get the discount even though I used another form of payment.

bloodnswash
05-27-2007, 07:48 PM
There are no discounts of any kind given at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (whether flashing your Visa card or an flashing an AP). I ask every time I'm in there and I get shot down every time :crying: But you can use your Rewards card there.

Malcon10t
05-27-2007, 07:57 PM
There are no discounts of any kind given at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (whether flashing your Visa card or an flashing an AP). I ask every time I'm in there and I get shot down every time :crying: But you can use your Rewards card there.Gibson Girl and Burrr-bank Ice Cream in DCA shoot us down everytime.

GusMan
05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Also, I cant flash my Disney Visa and get the discount AND use my rewards card can I? I think you have to put the purchase on the card for the discount, but I could be wrong?
While this was at DTD at WDW, I have used my Rewards card to pay AND received a discount on that same purchase. It was like getting bonus points, if you ask me. Did not even have to show the Visa card itself since they assumed that since I had the Rewards card, I was the Visa cardholder as well.

Mermaid
05-27-2007, 09:09 PM
You can use your rewards card wherever they take plastic. I think the ones listed are examples. I have used it at BB and to pay for my AP. One thing though, make sure you know how much is on there because it is not quite like a gift card. It will decline if ran for more than the amount on there. If you use some of it, your reciept will show how much is left on there!

Yes, you can use your rewards card to get the discount. It says you have to use the rewards card or the Visa card to get the discount but I have never had them enforce it. I always show my Visa and they ask "Do you want to pay with it?" I usually pay cash!

renodlandlover
05-28-2007, 06:05 AM
I just got a brochure from Visa when my rewards card was sent to me, it lists out where you can use your rewards card for food, shopping etc...

BUT, I am confused, I was under the assumption that this card could be used anywhere with plastic (ie: credit/debit cards) capabilities? Did I misunderstand this?

I am wondering because the brochure lists, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Rancho del Zocalo, Cafe Orleans, Blue Ribbon Bakery and Gibson Girl as being places that you are able to use your card at for DL. Are these the only places?

What about places like Blue Bayou, Bengal BBQ and any other place that accepts plastic? :confused:

Can I use this as a form of payment to upgrade to an AP even if the funds are not sufficient to cover the amount of the AP?

Thanks for the clarification!!!

You can use your Disney Visa card anywhere Visa is accepted. The confusing part is using your Disney Rewards Dollars (DRD) Card - that can only be used at the places listed (although on Thursday, a woman in CA let me use it in Greetings from CA).

I got a purchasing discount using my Disney Visa at Pizza Port, Bavarian Haus, Emporium, Disneyana, Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Grotto. At Disneyana, they were quite specific about not getting the discount unless the total of merchandise was over $50, but at the food places, you get it no matter what the total. I used my DRD to pay for part of the purchase, and the remainer went on my Visa. I redeemed the DRD at several stores - Greetings, Disneyana, Emporium, and Chester Drawers.

Also, use the "meet and greet" feature at Ariel's Grotto. :) It happens from 10 to 11:30 every day, and like several other posters have said, we were the only ones there most days and the characters really played and interacted with our kids. We say Donald and Max (hard to find Donald in the park!), Mickey and Goofy, and Chip and Dale. Some days they would give us one coupon for a free 5x7, some days 2 (both my hubby and I have cards, but they are the same account). You must use them at CA, the coupon states, for a character picture. When I tried at "greetings" to get a different picture for free, I couldn't. ON the last day, I was braver, and looked at the photos at DLR, and the man there let me use my coupon for whatever 5x7 I wanted to purchase.

The card is nice to have for both the discounts and the meet and greet. Have a great time!:p

Mermaid
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I am ignoring the baiting.....

I did not clarify that I have never used it for the restaurant discounts, only to pay there. I have an AP so I never needed to use it for the discounts there. You may, in fact, have to use one of the cards to get those discounts. At the World of Disney though I have never been made to use it to get the discount only show it!

I also recommend the Meet and Greet. I have only done it a couple times since I never seem to find myself in DCA that early but it was fun! I did it in WDW too and enjoyed my free picture!

jMom
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
... and if you want more flexibility for using your Disney Rewards $ in the DL park, I think you can use your Rewards $ to buy Disney $ at the Emporium, and then use the Disney $ anywhere in the park. You'll get US money in change, which you can then use anywhere else.

kimc0486
05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
One thing though, make sure you know how much is on there because it is not quite like a gift card. It will decline if ran for more than the amount on there. If you use some of it, your reciept will show how much is left on there!

So for example, I am assuming that when I go to upgrade to an AP I will not have the entire amount left to cover my AP, so if that is the case, can I tell them to run it for say $50 or an amount that I KNOW is left. The it will be ok? Thanks for the clarification.

Also, regarding the pic at DCA, I thought they took your pic there and thats the one you got for free, so its just a coupon to get a free 5x7 from DCA?

Thanks!!

Mermaid
05-28-2007, 08:57 PM
So for example, I am assuming that when I go to upgrade to an AP I will not have the entire amount left to cover my AP, so if that is the case, can I tell them to run it for say $50 or an amount that I KNOW is left. The it will be ok? Thanks for the clarification.

Also, regarding the pic at DCA, I thought they took your pic there and thats the one you got for free, so its just a coupon to get a free 5x7 from DCA?

Yes- say you need $100 to upgrade. Tell them to put $50 on the rewards card and the pay the other $50 however you want.

When I did it we got a coupon for a free 5x7 and we did not get the one they took with the characters. You go to Ariel's Grotto in the first 1.5 hours from opening (so usually until 11:30). You show your Visa to the people at the podium. There will be 2 characters there (usually Chip and Dale or Goofy and Mickey). After you interact and stuff, they will take your pic and give you a coupon for a free 5x7. In WDW it HAD to be one of those ones they took but in DCA it didn't. They may have changed that- it has been a while!

kimc0486
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
You go to Ariel's Grotto in the first 1.5 hours from opening (so usually until 11:30).

First off-thanks!

Also, is Ariel's Grotto the building across the bridge, white, with lights, top of building is kind of like a swirl?

tchatters
05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
We used our rewards card all over DL and DCA and never had a problem anywhere. They took it everywhere they take plastic- but only in the parks. We did not try to use it at any DL hotels or anywhere in DTD. I have also used it at the local Disney Store with no trouble.

We did have some trouble in WDW with it- a couple of places couldn't get it to scan, or said they didn't take it but they did etc.

Mermaid
05-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Also, is Ariel's Grotto the building across the bridge, white, with lights, top of building is kind of like a swirl?

Yes!

slaght4
05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Can somene tell me how far ahead I should plan on calling for my rewards card? I want to wait as long as possible to get as many "Dollars" on it as I can, but I don't want to push it so far that I have to leave without it. Any suggestions?

GusMan
05-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I would say order it at least 2 months before your trip with the minimal amount needed for the order. After that, I add on the rest of the cash a couple of days before my trip.

Just remember, the card does expire so use the funds before it does. Although, if you are like me, that wont be hard.

julbright
05-29-2007, 03:00 PM
i just ordered mine last week and it said it would take 7-10 days in the last screen of the order - I will let you know when I get it (and hopefully it will be before my trip!). Also to add to Gusman's comment - I think you can only transfer reward dollars when you've accumulated a minimum of 10 (is this correct?) I think that could take a while - no?

Mermaid
05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I would give at least two weeks for it to come. Once it comes, you can instantly transfer onto it anything over $10. It does expire, but not for at least a year after you get it.

What I did is I ordered it like 2 months out. I only put the min. $20 on at the time. Then as soon as the reward dollars posted before my trip, I transfered the rest onto the card. This way I got all my dollars. If I would have transfered all 40ish dollars at the get go, I would have been left with 6 dollars that I could not transfer before my trip. Does that make sense?

ETA- I just repeated Gus man's post, I guess great minds think alike!!

WITron
05-30-2007, 05:10 AM
You can also wait until you get to the parks to get one at Guest Relations window. If you do that though, the PRIMARY card holder will have to call and get it activated. On my last trip i did that and then had my wife call, since she was at home in Wisconsin.

gtpinoy
05-30-2007, 06:12 AM
When I ordered mine, it took about a week (maybe even less) before I received it.

slaght4
05-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks everyone, all of you are great at quick and informative answers. That's what I love about the people on the Disney web sites. I think I will give Mermaid's idea a try.

tink's mom
05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I was at the website the other day and they recommend ordering your rewards card at least three weeks before you need it.

kimc0486
06-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I just got off the phone with Chase to transfer over more points before DL this weekend, and the guy on the phone said after each transaction a slip "should" be printed with the remaining balance-is this true? I am just wondering if this is true from some first hand experience! Thanks!

Mermaid
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Yes, your remaining balance will be printed on your reciept. They usually tell you how much is left as well.

tweetheart
06-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Another interesting thing about rewards cards. I discovered this after my first one expired. The rewards card for the next year doesn't need to be ordered with $20, it can be ordered with $10. This was helpful, since my next trip was only a couple days after my statement date, and I wouldn't have had enough time to order a rewards card!