PDA

View Full Version : Motion sickness and the rides

Pages : [1] 2

Foodie
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I never had a chance to go on most of the rides in DCA during my last trip to D-Land. I did manage to get on Soarin' Over California, and was disappointed to have a problem with the tilting and visuals. I ended up dizzy for almost an hour afterwards before it settled back down again. Has anybody had problems on the other rides at that park? I'd love to get an idea for what people get motion sick on and what they don't so I can make a plan of what to try and what to avoid when I go again.

Also, does anybody get sick on the Matterhorn in D-Land? I've never been on it and would like to try but am scared that I'll get queasy.

Thanks for any help you all can give me!
-Foodie :)

emmah
05-25-2007, 09:20 PM
if you do a search of previous threads, you'll find quite a few discussions about motion sickness and rides. as i recall, the most common offenders are the orange stinger and the star tours ride. i don't recall anyone stating that the matterhorn made them motion sick (although lots of people seem not to like it because of being jolted around).

BIRDGIRLS
05-26-2007, 07:33 AM
A good over the counter medicine to cure feelings of nausea is Nauzene. It's relatively expensive but it works in MINUTES. (Seriously, I get altitude sickness and this works like magic). You might want to try it if you are thinking about going on some rides that make you sick.

bloodnswash
05-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Star Tours makes me sick. I still go on it but I close my eyes...I'm fine with it that way. With the Orange Stinger, as long as I focus on a specific spot I'm ok.

LOL, the OLD teacups when you were allowed to spin them really really fast :)

Bolivar
05-26-2007, 08:01 AM
You need a presciption, but this stuff works great:

http://www.transdermscop.com/

Just see your doctor, tell her you are going to DL and that you get motion sick, she'll give you script. One patch behind the ear will last you three or four days. I actually cut them in half so I get less of it and they still keep me well.

Foodie
05-26-2007, 08:02 AM
if you do a search of previous threads, you'll find quite a few discussions about motion sickness and rides.

I did this, but the posts only go back about 16 pages, which is only about one month worth of posts. Is there another way to go back any further? If there is, I'd love to know how. I think that's why there are so many repeat posts.

Thanks for the advice about the Matterhorn, I'll definitely try it out next trip!

Space Mountain does me in!

Yeah, I'm way too chicken to try that one out! That and BTMRR and the Teacups I'm just too scared to try. I did try Indiana Jones and had some trouble on it because it was so loud that it made me a bit dizzy, so I haven't tried it again. I was thinking of getting earplugs though. I figured if it works, who cares about looking like a dork!

A good over the counter medicine to cure feelings of nausea is Nauzene.

I've never heard of this medicine before, but I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

Thanks everybody who's posted so far! This is really great advice. Hopefully I'll be able to make a to-do list for DCA and D-Land based on your input!

-Foodie :D

atrder9901
05-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Star Tours gets me everytime, and of course, it is my 6 year olds favorite ride at Disneyland. I swear we go on that thing at LEAST 10 times during a trip.

Oddly enough, Dumbo gets me feeling a little green also.

chelebele
05-26-2007, 08:53 AM
No problems at all here on the matterhorn. It was great. On space mountain, the beginning with the lights swirling around got me. I had to close my eyes. The ride itself was fine. Star tours definitely has the potential for motion sickness, but neither my husband or I got sick on it. The only ride that got all of us was at universal, the back to the future ride. I honestly thought I would upchuck on that one. Have fun!

Michele

mistofviolets
05-26-2007, 11:13 AM
You may just have trouble with the visual stimulation...did closing your eyes help? (Lots of people can get "migraines" from the virtual rides)

A completely safe, non invasive trick might be to wear one of those seabands/motionsickness bands. It has a button that presses into a pressure point in your wrist to help alleviate motion sickness (and morning sickness)

The old man
05-26-2007, 12:43 PM

Just see your doctor, tell her you are going to DL and that you get motion sick, she'll give you script. One patch behind the ear will last you three or four days. I actually cut them in half so I get less of it and they still keep me well.
The problem, for me, with scopaline drugs is that they knock me out.

The worse ride for me at DLR is California Soarin'. I take a Dramamine about a half hour before and I need about a 1/2 hour after the ride to feel normal. I will only ride it once a visit. My 8 year old daughter rides it over and over. I have trouble with Star Tours (didn't use to) and close my eyes 1/2 the time. Especially when you tilt one way and the screen tilts the other. Slight trouble with Space Mountain, but I close my eyes in the spinning tunnel.

Koukla
05-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I have trouble with Star Tours (didn't use to) and close my eyes 1/2 the time.

Star Tours never used to bother me, either, until recently. And it was right around the time I had to start wearing bifocals/reading glasses. I sense a correlation.

samsma
05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I suffer from vertigo(inner ear causes dizzy spells).
and the only rides that effect me are
Soarin'
Tea Cups
Star Tours
Zepher
Orange Stinger.
The rest have all been fine including Space Mountain and Big Thunder.

emmah
05-26-2007, 03:32 PM
I did this, but the posts only go back about 16 pages, which is only about one month worth of posts. Is there another way to go back any further? If there is, I'd love to know how. I think that's why there are so many repeat posts.

Did you use the 'search' function? if you look up the page, you'll see a tab bar (FAQ, Members List, New Posts, Search, Quick Links) - click on the little arrow and type in 'motion sickness' - I just did it now and found 325 former threads dating from last month to 2001!

have fun!!:~D

cstephens
05-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Generic name: mezclizine. Brand name: Bonine. Inexpensive, available over the counter at most drug stores. Works like a charm.

mousey_girl
05-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I love Soarin', but Star Tours will make me hurl. I also won't ride Dumbo or Astro Orbitor. I had a bad experince on the rockets when they were above the PM track, won't try it again.

UsBurchs
05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I think it's funny that Star Tours makes so many people sick! My husband is the biggest Star Wars fan (headed to the convention tomorrow - flying down EARLY), but he cannot go on that ride!! He LOVES rollercoasters, but just can't do Star Tours! Sick, sick, sick!

I get motion sick if I sit in the back of a car and can't see what's coming toward me. I think that's why so many people get sick on motion simulators because it's just "pretend" motion and as hard as they try, it just doesn't match up to what's really on the screen. Your body and your eyes can't figure it all out. I can't do dark (fast) rides, but things like Big Thunder Mountain are fine. I see it all coming and can adjust.

I wear motion bands on my wrists. For me, they work like a charm! (someone else mentioned this above). Good for morning sickness too! I wear them on planes, boats, etc. If you are in a pinch, put two fingers right below where your wrist bends. Right below your two fingers, between the two tendons is where you should hold the ball of your thumb and press. That's the pressure point to ward off motion sickness. Best if you can do both arms, hense the whole band thing - makes it so much easier. The only draw back is that you look like your wearing sweat bands. Tennis anyone? ;)

GrouchoMarx
05-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Call it professional obligation (or just butting in)...

From the Transderm Scop website, under the heading 'Information For Patients':

How to Use Transderm Scop®
1. For the prevention of motion sickness, plan to apply one Transderm Scop® patch at least 4 hours before you need it. Wear only one patch at any time. Do not cut the patch.

cantwait
05-28-2007, 05:42 AM
I bought the Transderm patches to use. We are going June 10-16, I can let you know how it works out. (BTW - here in Canada, the pharmacy has them behind the counter, no prescription needed)

The old man
05-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Generic name: mezclizine. Brand name: Bonine. Inexpensive, available over the counter at most drug stores. Works like a charm.
This, like scopaline, knocks me out. :(

cantwait
05-28-2007, 07:31 AM
This, like scopaline, knocks me out. :(
A couple questions about drowziness and scopaline for anyone who has experienced this:

How quickly did the patch cause drowziness for you after applying it?

How soon after removal of the patch were you feeling alert and able to function properly?

Bolivar
05-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Call it professional obligation (or just butting in)...

From the Transderm Scop website, under the heading 'Information For Patients':

How to Use Transderm Scop®
1. For the prevention of motion sickness, plan to apply one Transderm Scop® patch at least 4 hours before you need it. Wear only one patch at any time. Do not cut the patch.

Interesting. It was the doctor that prescribed it who suggested I cut it in half. The side affects are dry mouth and rarely drowsiness. Well, not that rare, I think it was one in six who get drowsy. I get dry mouth but it isn't that bad and, for me, is a small price to pay for not getting sick on rides.

GeminiAngel
05-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm glad this thread came up. Since I had my DD in 2001, I haven't been the same :crying: . DL & WDW's BTMR make me icky. Also Astro-Orb. & most of the spinning rides. I'm too scared to go and try my favorite, space mountain.
I never thought about trying some sort of motion-sickness drug. I now have new hope! ;)

keschy
05-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know why but space mountain nakes me sick every time. I never feel queasy on any other fast rides, just that one.

meghan1
05-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I feel sick on star tours now. Its weird though, up until like 2 years ago, I rode it multiple times per trip, and never felt a thing. Its a bit better if you sit towards the front. I don't feel sick on anything else, but I do tend to avoid anything with extensive spinning.

Bolivar
05-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Star Tours and California Screaming will get me every time. BTMR and Space are ok for one ride, but then not either one again soon or they will get to me. I can't think of another one that gets me sick, though I have never tried the Orange Stinger.