Pages : [1] 2

cantwait
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I was thinking of tipping as follows:

Housekeeping $5/day
Full service meals 15%
Counter service - only if the person goes way out of their way for me
Shuttle driver $1/bag

Am I forgetting anyone? Does that seem fair, are my amounts up to date?

We have a Concierge room booked (at the Annabella) and it is my first real hotel vacation and I don't want to look like a cheapskate (but of course I am one at heart and don't want to overpay either :rolleyes: ). Does having prepaid for concierge service affect tipping at the hotel, and what should I be tipping for there?

Thanks again everyone!! :)

Andrew
05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Am I forgetting anyone? Does that seem fair, are my amounts up to date?
Tipping is a topic that comes up a lot here. You will get many opinions but you really have to decide what you think is fair.

My take:

Housekeeping: $2/person/day, but for two people I'll usually leave $5. Do this every day because you may have a different housekeeper from day to day; don't leave it all 'til the end of your stay.
Full service meals: 20% for good service (drinks refilled promptly, friendly, etc); 15-17% for average service.
Counter service: Zero at Disney-owned locations (they won't accept it anyway). $1-2 at Starbucks / Haagen-Dazs / Wetzels / Jamba Juice.
Shuttle driver: $1/bag, maybe $2/bag if the bags are particularly heavy.

I don't know what to tell you about concierge service.

disneyhound
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
My take:
Housekeeping: $2/person/day, but for two people I'll usually leave $5. Do this every day because you may have a different housekeeper from day to day; don't leave it all 'til the end of your stay.
Full service meals: 20% for good service (drinks refilled promptly, friendly, etc); 15-17% for average service.
Counter service: Zero at Disney-owned locations (they won't accept it anyway). $1-2 at Starbucks / Haagen-Dazs / Wetzels / Jamba Juice.
Shuttle driver: $1/bag, maybe $2/bag if the bags are particularly heavy. I agree on housekeeping, definately tip every day, rather than a big tip at the end, as they usually have many people working the rooms.

We usually tip the Shuttle driver $5.00 for two people, we handle our own bags...

Malcon10t
05-24-2007, 03:45 PM
The character buffets have a built in 18% tip. If I get an exceptional server, I will leave more on the table.

I agree with Andrew 20% for good service, 15-17 for average. I also do 20-25% for out of this world great service. (As an example, we had Eric at Mimi's, who made sure our drinks were never empty, but was also so discreet doing it. And he brought my daughter the game Q to play to keep her occupied at the table while we waited! She was 18 at the time.)

The old man
05-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Tipping is a topic that comes up a lot here. You will get many opinions but you really have to decide what you think is fair.

My take:

Shuttle driver: $1/bag, maybe $2/bag if the bags are particularly heavy.

I don't know what to tell you about concierge service.
Why do people tip at Starbucks, etc? One day someone decided to stick a tip cup at these places and now they're everywhere. The Starbucks employees have better health care insurance than me. They are paid a fair wage for this type of work--just like burger flippers--not like waitresses who get dead minimum and are expected to make up their salary in tips.

VWCat
05-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I've worked at starbucks,it's not at all like working in a fastfood joint,they deserve the tips,there is ALOT of cleaning involved and tons of heavy lifting and constant action. Starting at 8.65 here in Canada that wage is minimum wage.

Malcon10t
05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I've worked at starbucks,it's not at all like working in a fastfood joint,they deserve the tips,there is ALOT of cleaning involved and tons of heavy lifting and constant action. Starting at 8.65 here in Canada that wage is minimum wage.
But, tips are not for the lifting and cleaning. Your boss should compensate you properly for that. Tips are for services you perform for ME. I do tip at Starbucks when my drinks are made differently to my satisfaction. Such as more pumps in my Chai Tea Latte, etc. In CA, minimum is $7.50. SB pays higher than minimum, plus they offer good benefits. I don't tip unless the service they provide me is above and beyond average.

backsthepack
05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
We tip well because these people are working in a busier area than most service workers. For the maids, we average $5-10 per day depending on how messy we left the room. For the bell men (luggage) we usually give them a flat $20 for bringing our bags up (we usually have just 3 bags, if we had more the price would go up). For service, we give a minimum of 20%. For excellent service it will be around 30%. My reasoning for this is that being in a resort area, they deal with so many people. They get stiffed often. They deal with more people than most servers will on a daily basis. So I am sure that once in awhile their service may not be totally 100% up to par. I expect that. But I will not lower the % down below 20%.

The old man
05-25-2007, 06:46 AM
But, tips are not for the lifting and cleaning. Your boss should compensate you properly for that. Tips are for services you perform for ME. I do tip at Starbucks when my drinks are made differently to my satisfaction. Such as more pumps in my Chai Tea Latte, etc. In CA, minimum is $7.50. SB pays higher than minimum, plus they offer good benefits. I don't tip unless the service they provide me is above and beyond average.

Exactly.

cantwait
05-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Okay, I think I've got the food service end of things covered (my 15% was a bit cheap, so I will up it to 20, unless not good service, and may do a bit more tipping at places I wouldn't tip at here)
I was planning on tipping housekeeping daily as noted, the staff could be different every day.

Still need HELP with hotel tipping please:

We have a Concierge room booked (at the Annabella) and it is my first real hotel vacation and I don't want to look like a cheapskate (but of course I am one at heart and don't want to overpay either :rolleyes: ). Does having prepaid for concierge service affect tipping at the hotel, and what should I be tipping for there?

Oh my, I'm quoting myself! :rolleyes: :geek:

Thanks everyone!

Gilesmt
05-25-2007, 07:30 AM
I have a question, is tipping even called for anymore?

I came to realize in the past year or so that things have changed quite a bit, there was a time that the service industry like resteraunts and salons were paid below minimum wage and tips were offered if they gave good service and brought there salaries up to equal or above minimun wage. Also, the federal government use to predict that a person made so much in tips and would tack that on. Neither of those are true in my state and I wonder if it is all states now, I know the federal tax thing must be for all states.

In the last year I realized that I over tip in my state, I usually do 15%, if exceptional 20%. But now that my daughter and her friends are out in the work force they state that they usually do not get more than $1 tip/table. Her friend works in a the nices hotel in the area and she averages $3 a day in tips.

I live in the state with the highest minimun wage pay out, and I really do wonder if I should be tipping that hair dresser who I had an appointment for at 11 but since she had walk ins she was 15 minutes late. If she is making minimum wage does she still need a 15 to 20% tip.

Does the server at the local sit down resteraunt still need a 15 to 20% tip if she is making minimum wage and only gives average service. I don't tip the shoe sales man that brings me 6 pairs of shoes before I find the right one, and he only makes minimum wage. I don't the Jiffy Lube man who in this state has to take a year of college to get his job, and he probably makes little more than minimum wage.

I NEVER TIP FOR MY COFFEE AT STARBUCK'S SINCE THEY MAKE MINIMUM WAGE AND GET GOOD BENEFITS WHICH NONE OF THE OTHER JOBS I MENTIONED GET BENEFITS.

Gilesmt
05-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Sorry I clicked to fast!

As one of you have said, the employee should be compensating for them doing there job, so my maids job is to make my bed and clean my room, should I be tipping if she goes out of her way and arranges stuffed animals on the bed, and should my tip include the turn down service that is offered in my bill? As I said I must be over tipping because I usually leave 10% of the bill for the maid, so that could be as high as $40 a night at some places.

For my server at a resteraunt that is buffet and the server only has to bring me drinks do I really need to leave a 18% tip? The ones near my house not the ones in Disney that add it in.

What do others feel about this?

GrumpyJed
05-25-2007, 08:25 AM
It seems to me that tipping is becoming an expectation, rather than a show of gratitude for a job well done. I think a tip should be determined based on the quality of service which you won't know until you are there. If you get great service, leave a tip. The maid is supposed to make the bed, the waitstaff is supposed to get my drinks. What is exceptional about that?

The old man
05-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Okay, I think I've got the food service end of things covered (my 15% was a bit cheap, so I will up it to 20, unless not good service, and may do a bit more tipping at places I wouldn't tip at here)
I was planning on tipping housekeeping daily as noted, the staff could be different every day.

Still need HELP with hotel tipping please:

Oh my, I'm quoting myself! :rolleyes: :geek:

Thanks everyone!
Yes, you tip. Your amounts are fine. I think you're a little high on housekeeping. Also if you only tip 15% on restaurants, I would do 15% of the total, including the tax.

Now let's get back to bashing those tip cups that have proliferated everywhere.

Malcon10t
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I came to realize in the past year or so that things have changed quite a bit, there was a time that the service industry like resteraunts and salons were paid below minimum wage and tips were offered if they gave good service and brought there salaries up to equal or above minimun wage. Also, the federal government use to predict that a person made so much in tips and would tack that on. Neither of those are true in my state and I wonder if it is all states now, I know the federal tax thing must be for all states.
The federal government taxes the servers at restaurants 8% of the amount of the tabs they served, regardless if they received any tip or not. The majority make minimum wage. I am not sure where you are getting your info, but as far as the federal portion, it is incorrect.

kiowa
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Never tip at Starbucks, In fact, just don't go to starbucks

cantwait
05-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Whoa, this topic seems to have stirred up a hornets nest. Glad to see everyone has opinions about tipping.

I don't do Starbucks much, but if there was a Tim Hortons, I would have to tip them just for the good coffee ;)

Maybe I should start a new thread about the "what to tip for at the hotel" question... (other than housekeeping, I think we covered that)

dawnid
05-25-2007, 01:42 PM
What is everyone's opinion on tipping for valet service? Is it different say for DTD valet or if your staying at one of the hotels?

VWCat
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
The health benefits aren't that great believe me,off topic but it's true. The job is so hard on your arms often people get carpel tunnel and have to take time off work. If anyone actually worked at starbucks you would know the job is hardcore labour and the baristas deserve the 30.00 or so in tips they get once a week. It was the hardest job I've ever had and I've been a nanny for 2 small children and a care worker for a severely disabled girl. The job is pure stress on all levels,very crazy and fast paced and goal oriented. So you see why it is not like working at a fastfood place where any teen can stand around and chat all day;that doesn't deserve a tip! I also give my hairdresser a 20% tip and she owns the place. If my drink isn't made right at Starbucks or anywhere I won't leave a tip. If people are working hard for the money whether their pay is good or not they deserve a little extra from me if I can afford it:) Usually it's 15-20% depending on the place. As for the hotel I'm thinking a fiver here and there would be good:)

bigrockstar
05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Here's a tip (haha):

If staying in a small to medium hotel, tip generously after the first night for housekeeping... they are more likely to provide exceptional service to you in the future. I think $5-10 will peak their interest. Normal or even slightly less is okay from then on out (you could do the math to figure out an average per day that suits your tipping values).

Don't tip at counter service locations. A busier location does not mean they are busier people. Most often, the employers simply hire more help. If they don't, the employees should try to find work elsewhere. Whether they do or not should not concern you. Don't feel guilty about it, either.

I am a teacher. I don't get tips. Almost anyone will tell you we aren't paid enough for the amount of college education required of us ($500/month to pay off student loans!), and the amount of time we spend beyond the 8-hour school day to plan and prepare. Think about how silly it would be to drop your child off in their classroom and see a big tip jar on the teacher's desk... What would you give?

Gilesmt
05-25-2007, 03:15 PM
The federal government taxes the servers at restaurants 8% of the amount of the tabs they served, regardless if they received any tip or not. The majority make minimum wage. I am not sure where you are getting your info, but as far as the federal portion, it is incorrect.

In your state do they charge the servers that or do they charge the restraurants that. It use to be in bars and restraurants that the server was paid (and I will just use a figure here, but below minimum wage) $3 and the federal government would tax them at the end of the year as making $5 since they assumed that they made there tips, but a lot of cheating went on. Now the server is paid minimum wage and they have to report to there employee all the tips they get and they are taxed on the tax bracket like every other family (at least that is how it is in my state, there could still be states out there that do not pay servers minimum wage and the servers are counting on there tips). The restaurant is taxed at 8% of the tab, in your state, in my state it is 8.3% and in CA I believe it is 15%. Those taxes are state and local taxes and not federal taxes anyway.

ubaisore
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
After reading this thread, I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in..FWIW

Tipping is supposed to be for someone that went over and above the call of duty...when I stay at a hotel (especially at $200-$400/night), it is expected that I will get the bed changed, room vacuumed etc... I am not a slob who leaves stuff for the housekeeper...but for the per night cost, I expect the room to be made up for me
If I pay $4.35 to get a cup of coffee, I expect a well made cup of coffee. Maybe if I go somewhere regularly and they get mine ready becuase they know I will be there, then I would tip.
I guess tipping is now EXPECTED no matter the level of service or how much you pay for the service originally..... I do tip for service that is above and beyond, but a pleasant attitude and the service/item I am paying for are EXPECTED by me for paying....

Malcon10t
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
In your state do they charge the servers that or do they charge the restraurants that. It use to be in bars and restraurants that the server was paid (and I will just use a figure here, but below minimum wage) $3 and the federal government would tax them at the end of the year as making $5 since they assumed that they made there tips, but a lot of cheating went on. Now the server is paid minimum wage and they have to report to there employee all the tips they get and they are taxed on the tax bracket like every other family (at least that is how it is in my state, there could still be states out there that do not pay servers minimum wage and the servers are counting on there tips). The restaurant is taxed at 8% of the tab, in your state, in my state it is 8.3% and in CA I believe it is 15%. Those taxes are state and local taxes and not federal taxes anyway.
The employer is responsible to collect taxes on reported tips. If the tips reported are less than 8% of the gross receipts, they are charged for the difference by IRS and they in turn have to charge it back or allocate it to the servers.
They also have to pay FICA and Medicare on it, so the SSA is also wanting to make sure everything is reported.

The old man
05-26-2007, 07:08 AM
The health benefits aren't that great believe me,off topic but it's true. The job is so hard on your arms often people get carpel tunnel and have to take time off work. If anyone actually worked at starbucks you would know the job is hardcore labour and the baristas deserve the 30.00 or so in tips they get once a week. It was the hardest job I've ever had and I've been a nanny for 2 small children and a care worker for a severely disabled girl. The job is pure stress on all levels,very crazy and fast paced and goal oriented. So you see why it is not like working at a fastfood place where any teen can stand around and chat all day;that doesn't deserve a tip! I also give my hairdresser a 20% tip and she owns the place. If my drink isn't made right at Starbucks or anywhere I won't leave a tip. If people are working hard for the money whether their pay is good or not they deserve a little extra from me if I can afford it:) Usually it's 15-20% depending on the place. As for the hotel I'm thinking a fiver here and there would be good:)
Oh please. First tens of millions of Americans have no health insurance. Second "hardcore labor"--like digging ditches or picking strawberries. Third, it's exactly like fastfood, if you think that teens (BTW, around here it's mostly legal-status hispanic adults) are standing around, then you haven't been to McDonalds, BK, etc during lunch time. They have timers on them for gosh sakes. Last you say if people are working hard they deserve extra from you. Do you give the grocery or Target checker a tip? How about a lawyer or accountant? Your dry cleaner? They're all working hard. Why don't we all put out a tip cup?

I wanted to make one more statement. Many of the posts state you tip for a well made cup of coffee. Now you may do that after tasting your coffee, but note that all tip cups (from bagel joints to coffee shops) are usually at the register. You may go back to do it, but why are they at that location? Great job ringing of my order!

Malcon10t
05-26-2007, 09:34 AM
The world may be coming to an end, I am agreeing with Old Man on a point... I do not put Starbucks on the same level of "hardcore" jobs as my agricultural employees by any means. I do tip when I get service above and beyond. An example, Starbucks will grind coffee for my use at home for free. Even if I buy a SB bag of beans in the grocery store. For that, I will toss in a tip. But for making me a $2.50 cup of coffee, I am not tipping.

ColdStone, I will tip! Why? Because when you tip, they sing! And it embarrasses MickeyDogMom when I tip them and they sing. So, I am getting my money's worth.

Restaurant service, I do tip well there for GOOD service. For average service, I tip 12-15%. Bad service, the manager gets my attention.

Hotels, we generally ask for extra towels, or have certain needs and we do have the dog, so we do tip there also. I also think most people don't think to tip the hotel staff. My guess, only 1 in 8 rooms tip.

And, why would you tip the owner of a salon when they are not only getting the money they charged you, but also collecting from all the others who are providing services in their salon.