PDA

View Full Version : Annual Passholders - did you get the 2 park upgrade?

Tinkerbell737
06-18-2002, 10:21 AM
:confused: Maybe it's my fault... but I never went to the guest relations office to have my pass upgraded to the 2 park pass last winter.

It was announced that anyone who had purchased a recent pass (which I did) would be given access to DL and DCA. However, when I went to upgrade, they asked me for $60!

Has this happened to anyone else?

I am hoping this is a mistake... because I have seen a few problems with the ticket booths lately (I am a travel agent and one of my colleagues recently were not able to get their free tickets, told that DisneyTravelAgents.com is not a Disney site, and they do not have to recognize the promotions).

Am I alone here? :confused:

Mia

Lani
06-18-2002, 11:02 AM
That's odd... the default is that all APs provide two-park access. Did they explain what the $60 was for?

Tinkerbell737
06-18-2002, 11:06 AM
The CM at the ticket booth just said that it was no longer free, and that I would have to pay $60 per pass to upgrade them to include both parks.

I tried to ask why it was so expensive, since I don't think the 2 park pass was a $60 difference before they decided to combine them (maybe I'm wrong)... but she said "that's what my system shows."

Honestly, she was kind of grouchy and I didn't feel like going through the ordeal of calling a manager, etc. so I just gave up.

But now I'd like to take advantage of DCA also... it's just frustrating. :(

Ghoulish Delight
06-18-2002, 11:16 AM
The difference (at least for premium) was indeed $60. That's what we paid for our old 2-park pass. So there's your $60. When did you buy your pass originally, and when did you try to upgrade?

Tinkerbell737
06-18-2002, 11:18 AM
I tried to upgrade it...hmm... maybe 2 months ago?

Maybe I have lost out :(

I bought the passes in September 2001 (Sept 10th to be exact).

Thanks for your help!

Disney Nick
06-18-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm not totally sure that it was more than 2 months ago that the 2-park pass became a "freebie" so to speak. If you go to Disneyland now there should be no problem and park hopping should be included.

Ghoulish Delight
06-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Well, I never saw anything specifically stating an end date to the upgrade offer, but it does sound like it was a "speak now or forever hold your peace" kind of thing. Tough break. Guess you just have to wait until September and renew if you don't want to drop the $60.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Hmm. I don't even remember an offer of free upgrades to 2-park. I do remember there being an offer of free extensions to those who paid full price for 2-park passes shortly before the DL-only passes were discontinued and the 2-park prices were dropped, but I didn't take advantage of it, because I'd just as soon keep my expiration date right where it is.

Uncle Dick
06-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Hmm. I don't even remember an offer of free upgrades to 2-park.
There was. I bought my Disneyland-only PAP in August and on the Monday before Thanksgiving, when they eliminated the Disneyland-only pass, I immediately drove down to Disneyland a got a free upgrade without any hassle.

adriennek
06-18-2002, 11:53 AM
There was most definitely a free upgrade offer for all APs. We never paid to upgrade our APs to 2-parks. A few months ago, they announced it, but a quick search didn't find any of the links I was looking for. All you had to do was go to the AP center and get a new card. My expiration date didn't change and I didn't pay anything.

Tinkerbell737: Did you go to a regular ticket booth or the group sales/AP window? Try that window, they may know better what's going on. If not, plan to ask for a manager. I don't remember an expiration date on that deal, FWIW.

Adrienne K

Tinkerbell737
06-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Thank you, Adrienne.

I went to a "regular" ticket booth. I will try the group sales window, hopefully they will be a little more cheerful! :)

Mia

p.s. see you at the next Mouse Adventure!

Rallymonkey23
06-18-2002, 12:09 PM
I had to pay $10.00 for my 2 park upgrade....

merlinjones
06-18-2002, 12:16 PM
>>I'm not totally sure that it was more than 2 months ago that the 2-park pass became a "freebie" so to speak. If you go to Disneyland now there should be no problem and park hopping should be included.<<

The freebie maneuver first came about in, like, November or December (around seven months ago). Otherwise I would have never seen the dreadful LuminAria, which I did.

Ghoulish Delight
06-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
I had to pay $10.00 for my 2 park upgrade.... The pass that you upgraded, did you get a $10 discount when you bought it originally (or renewed it, as the case may be)? That was one thing I do remember. The upgrades were free, unless you had bought your pass with discount. Then they revoked your discount and made you pay it back.

sydney
06-18-2002, 02:16 PM
The way I understand it: there were never "free upgrades." What happened was that the system has always been that to upgrade your pass, you pay the difference between what you origionally paid and the current price of the pass you want. Your expiration date does not change. (For example, you have a 159 dolllar deluxe pass and want to upgrade to a deluxe w/parking, you pay 40.

now the confusing factor here is the drastic price drop that happened mid november of last year. This is when they cut out all 1 park passes all together. This confused things because it creates this situation:

I had (earlier than last november) paid 199 for a 2 park deluxe pass. The new price for a 2 park premium pass was 199. I chose to upgrade. so I paid the difference in price between what I had paid and the price of the one I wanted. Which was zero. Similar situations ensued for other configurations of upgraders-- i.e, one park premium holders had also paid 189 (I think) and could therefore upgrade to 2 park deluxe passes for 10 dollars. (same math: what you origionally paid subtracted from what you want).

However, the prices have now gone up again. not as high as they were, but the situation remains the same. Their computer will tell them what you paid in the first place. You should therefore pay the difference between that amount that your 1 park pass is "worth" and the price of the 2park pass you want; 159 for deluxe, 219 for premium. Again, upgrading does not change your exp. date. So in a sense, yes, you may have missed the free/cheap upgrades.

Hope that makes sense... good luck!

Rallymonkey23
06-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
The pass that you upgraded, did you get a $10 discount when you bought it originally (or renewed it, as the case may be)? That was one thing I do remember. The upgrades were free, unless you had bought your pass with discount. Then they revoked your discount and made you pay it back.

Oh yeah. That's why I had to pay $10. I was trying to remember why... Once again, thanks GD! Whens you next Sunday meet gonna be? Or do you know? I need to meet you and CP.... Great people you are. :)

Tinkerbell737
06-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Thank you again, for everyone's help

My situation was the same, I purchased the "regular" annual pass for Disneyland for $159 - or $169, I don't recall exactly (to have both parks, it was $199). Then they made all parks the 2 park passes, and the price for the regular pass stayed the same. There were emails that went out, info on the Disneyland.com website, and even a mention on MousePlanet about upgrading passes.

But it was (like you said) just before the holidays and it was crazy, so I stayed away... and now that I have gone to do the upgrade, they want $60.

I must have missed my chance while the prices were still low.

I wouldn't pay $60 for DCA for the remaining 3 months I have on my pass. I have been to DCA for free - before it opened - during press events with "extra" touches, and it still wasn't THAT special.

Thanks again!

Mia

adriennek
06-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Ok, I talked to DocKrock because he was the one who actually handled our upgrade.

We always renew with the AP renewal discount, so we "only" paid $189 for our premium passports. When we bumped up to premium 2-park passes, we didn't pay anything. No $10 per person. Just got traded our old cards for our new cards.

Adrienne K

cyberRoo
06-18-2002, 07:13 PM
To my recollection, premium passes has a straight-across upgrade, because the old DL only pass and the new 2 park pass were both $199.

Deluxe passes, I believe, were $149 for DL only, and $159 for the new 2-park, so deluxe passholders had to pay the minimal $10 to get the "new" pass.

I don't have a clue about the old basic/new socal pass... but hopefully this helps clear up some of the confusion.

good luck!

adriennek
06-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Well, gee, CyberRoo, that's logical, isn't it?

My logic was apparently blurred. But that makes things see clearer now... (gee, I can't imagine what was distracting me...)

Thank You :)
Adrienne K