PDA

View Full Version : What ride were you hesitant to go on but now love?

Pages : [1] 2 3

awdfan
05-23-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm totally scared of Tower of Terror, but I think I might try it when I'm there next. It would just figure that I avoided it but would love it.

I was hesitant about the changes to Space Mountain, but of course love it.

What about you? (And, is TOT that scary? Should I still avoid it?)

adriennek
05-23-2007, 09:43 AM

I haven't been hesitant about any rides. I have rides that I've been on that I never need to go on again. TOT happens to be one of them but it has nothing to do with being scared. It just made me feel nauseous and I didn't enjoy the affects of the motion.

But, at Disneyland, there haven't been any rides I have been "hesitant" to try.

There's at least one at WDW that I probably wouldn't want to go on - the one with sickness bags, whatever it's called I forget now. But that's based on TOT and CA Screamin'. If they're going to warn me that I might get THAT sick, I probably don't need to do it that badly. ;)

Adrienne

WDW heart
05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
There's at least one at WDW that I probably wouldn't want to go on - the one with sickness bags, whatever it's called I forget now.

Mission Space. I don't go on this when I'm with my family because my daughter had a previous head injury and I just don't want to take any chances. But I went on it once by myself. I liked it. My friend went on it and vomited on the ride. :|

adriennek
05-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Mission Space. I don't go on this when I'm with my family because my daughter had a previous head injury and I just don't want to take any chances. But I went on it once by myself. I liked it. My friend went on it and vomited on the ride. :|

Thank you. That would definitely be it. LOL.

Adrienne

Goosegirl
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Uh...I am totally avoiding Tower Of Terror because I just know I will lose it!

lofosho
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
The first 8 or so times I rode indy with my family I kept my eyes completely shut the entire time! Now it's one of my favorites!:D

Mrs Mouse
05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
I was weary of TOT and Screamin'.

After riding, I think I can honestly say that Screamin' is the best roller coaster that I have ever been on, and I love it, love it, love it! TOT, on the other hand, still makes me a little queasy, but I try do it at least once a trip just to complete the experience.

bloodnswash
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm totally scared of Tower of Terror, but I think I might try it when I'm there next. It would just figure that I avoided it but would love it.

I was hesitant about the changes to Space Mountain, but of course love it.

For several visits I would not do Tower; I stood in line with family and then took the chicken exit. Now I LOVE Tower!!! It is my favorite ride at DCA :cool:

I also wouldn't go on Screamin'. Now I have no problem doing it....it's fun. The only way I can do it is by being in the front seat. Otherwise, I get banged up too much.

hlbtimes2
05-23-2007, 10:53 AM
TOT. I didnt ride it the first time we went after it opened. Now its a must do for me. I have not braved maliboomer yet. Maybe the next trip. I figure if my 8 year old can ride it, it can't be that bad. But, she is our fearless child so maybe that is not a good gauge.

SANDYMARIE
05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I did not think I would have a problem with TOT. Now, I'm rethinking it! :eek:
Have people actually vomited on this ride? We are going in 4 months and I have a touchy stomach.....should I avoid it? :(

Thanks

cstephens
I'm not at the level of "love", but I really like it. Maliboomer is not my kind of ride so I never went on it because I wasn't sure I could handle it. I love ToT, but being shot up isn't the same as being dropped. About a month ago, the husband convinced me to go. We were playing tourist that day and actually doing a lot of rides. He knows what I like and don't like and what I can handle, and he said I'd be ok on it. So I gave it a shot. As we were standing in line and moving closer, I kept getting more nervous. Even more nervous as they strapped me in. It's a four-person row. The husband was on one end, I was next to him, there was an empty space next to me, and then a friend was on the other edge. It was mostly the anticipation and not knowing that was making me really nervous. That first rush was amazing. I screamed but didn't make a sound because I was still having voice problems at that time and nothing in that range was coming out as noise. The husband and friend were laughing as I was going from scared to having fun. Now that I know what it is, it's definitely something I'd do again. Nice rush, and a great view from that height.

DianeM
Tower of Terror. I really, REALLY, don't like rides where I'm in freefall. I get queasy. I won't even ride those roller coasters where people drop or swing. But my husband I and decided to trust "Disney Magic" when we were on our honeymoon at Orlando, so we went on TOT and we LOVED it. You go up and down so fast they you hardly have time to be scared, but it's not jerky. It's one of the few rides that we routinely go on more than once.

Niwel
05-23-2007, 11:07 AM
My fiance HATES drops (the one and only time I got him on ToT I thought he was going to pass out).
When I was younger, I was terrified of Mr. Toad (now it is one of my faves).

KDR
05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Tower of Terror. The first time I went on it, I really had to convince myself to do it (this was in Florida). But I survived and went on it again. By the fourth time, I realized that if you relax, the feeling is far less intense, and the ride is much more enjoyable. The next time we went to WDW I think we rode it 26 times altogether (including 13 times in a row on a Friday the 13th).

It's now one of my very favorite Disney attractions.

DizMe
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I absolutely would NOT ride TOT with my husband and daughter. I am afraid of heights and the idea of free-falling has never been one to make me think, "fun!". So, for 2 years I stood outside and waited while they rode it over and over. Last year, feeling left out (and a little silly that my 4-year-old was not afraid of it), I sucked it up and got in line. OH, WOW! I was so in love with that ride!! I absolutely adore the set-up, which is as much fun as the ride itself. It's kind of a Shining meets Twilight Zone. I love the old Hollywood ghost hotel--very cool. The ride itself is GREAT! For those, like me, who are aghast at the thought of free-fall, I will say that it is done in a way that makes you feel much more secure than you would think. You don't look outside the whole time, just when the elevator doors open, and you have a floor and people all around you in a fairly enclosed elevator car. There is a "story" going on at the same time. I went on it with my oldest daughter (it was her first time, too), and we must've gone back 5 times. In a funny twist, the kid that loved it as a 4-and 5-year-old refused to go on it last year when she was 6.

adriennek
05-23-2007, 11:56 AM
My fiance HATES drops (the one and only time I got him on ToT I thought he was going to pass out).

Now, I love Maliboomer, but if you need to go on TOT, you can take Doc and I'll gladly keep A company.

I knew I liked that boy...

Adrienne

Pat-n-Eil
05-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I sense a theme here.

Tower of Terror was a ride I had some trepidation of.. but it didn't keep me from getting in line and riding it at my first opportunity. My wife, bless her, is game for almost any ride like this and she loves it. I also think it is great as does my whole family.

I say, go to TOT and ride it, even if you don't think you'll like it. Chances are it is not nearly as scary as you think it is.

Niwel
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Now, I love Maliboomer, but if you need to go on TOT, you can take Doc and I'll gladly keep A company.
I knew I liked that boy...
Deal! Just name the day. :)

KDR
05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Funny how I'm totally the opposite. After riding ToT, I thought Malibooomer would be a breeze. But one of the very first times we went on, a gentleman sitting next to me was wearing a large gold chain necklace and pendant. When we reached the top, the necklace kept on going. When we got back down, it was in pieces on the ground. Ever since then, all I can do is imagine the restraints failing, and me ending up in little pieces on the ground.

At least in ToT, the ride vehicle is enclosed.

My wife, OTOH, loves Maliboomer, and I'm happy to sit and watch her as she flies up in the air, hands and feet straight out to intensify the feeling. (I should mention here that she's also gone bungee jumping and parasailing, and would happily parachute sometime if it weren't for the fact that I'd probably have a heart attack over it.)

lilstreet
05-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Wow! I am surprised at all of the TOT responses on here! Actually I think I was a little scared but never hesitant to ride it. Maybe it was because the height requirement was so low and my friend and I were able to take our 5 year olds on it.

Mine would have to be when I was about 5 or 6 and my brother told me that there was a monster on the Matterhorn. That was it for me! There is a monster?? No way am I going on that thing!!! lol!! Funny thing is, I told my daughter that story when she was 4 and she wouldn't go on the Matterhorn for a few years! lol!

bloodnswash
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I did not think I would have a problem with TOT. Now, I'm rethinking it! :eek:
Have people actually vomited on this ride? We are going in 4 months and I have a touchy stomach.....should I avoid it? :(

Thanks

I did once see a guy get off of Tower with a nose bleed. Haven't seen any vomiting.....yet :)

PanFan
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Mine would have to be when I was about 5 or 6 and my brother told me that there was a monster on the Matterhorn. That was it for me! There is a monster?? No way am I going on that thing!!! lol!! Funny thing is, I told my daughter that story when she was 4 and she wouldn't go on the Matterhorn for a few years! lol!

That's similar to mine. For years I would ride the Skyway through the Matterhorn and I saw (from a good distance) how close those bobsleds got to that monster. I wanted nothing to do with that! I was 12 when I finally went on it, but now I absolutely love it (and may be learning to operate it soon...).

pcrazy99
05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
When I was a little kid, I remember being afraid to get on The Adventure Through Inner Space. I really believed we were going to shrink and might not be able to be returned to our normal size.

SANDYMARIE
05-23-2007, 05:12 PM
When I was a little kid, I remember being afraid to get on The Adventure Through Inner Space. I really believed we were going to shrink and might not be able to be returned to our normal size.

I thought the same thing......... and I was 18!!:eek:

CarlieB
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Space Mountain. I'm not fond of heights, so I was pretty nervous about Splash Mountain as well, but I love it now (of course):)