PDA

View Full Version : OC Register: Disney Resort Plans to Rock

Pages : [1] 2 3

Uncle Dick
06-18-2002, 05:02 AM
Well, looks like the cat's out of the bag (http://www.ocregister.com/business/disney00618cci4.shtml).

Some Disney observers see the concerts as a strategy to drive attendance at the park, which lags Disneyland in admissions. Disney brought the popular Electrical Light Parade to California Adventure last summer as a drawing card, and the concert series could serve the same purpose this year.
Why do people call it the "Electrical Light Parade"? I hear CMs refer to it as such all the time and now the OC Register has jumped on the bandwagon. Must be something about the double "l"s that makes it easier to say.

Also in the Register, Can rock turn around the blues for Disney park? (http://www.ocregister.com/business/disney0s0618cci5.shtml)

Here's the lineup:

The Disneyland Resort summer music series:
July 13-14: The Beach Boys
July 15-17: The Temptations
July 18-19: David Clayton Thomas with Blood, Sweat & Tears
July 20: The Commodores
July 21-22: Herman's Hermits
July 23-25: Starship
July 26-28: The 5th Dimension
July 29-31: Paul Revere and the Raiders
Aug. 1-3: (to be announced)
Aug. 4-6: The Turtles
Aug. 7-8: The Buckinghams
Aug. 9-11: (to be announced)
Aug. 12-14: (to be announced)
Aug. 15-17: The Four Tops
Aug. 18-20: America

Personally, I'd like to see some more contemporary acts, but these "oldies, but goodies" should be pretty nice.

dsny1mom
06-18-2002, 06:20 AM
Uncle Dick

THANK YOU for posting the schedule. I was just telling my daughters the other day about the possibility of concerts at DCA this summer. I told my 16 yr old I'd be in 7th heaven if I could be in DCA and be able to see one of my all time faves, The Beach Boys. And now it's a reality!!! I can't tell you how excited I am about this!!!! Looks like I'll be able to see the Beach Boys and the Temptation while we're there!

Oh by the way neither of my teens were even remotely interested in seeing the Beach Boys. I guess if Nellie or Blink was playing them they'd be the ones jumping for joy and I'd be looking for ear plugs. :)

dsny1mom

cstephens
06-18-2002, 06:24 AM
I am *SO* bummed! I would totally love to see the Beach Boys, but that's the weekend of my husband's birthday and we already have major plans. Awww.

justagrrl
06-18-2002, 06:25 AM
I'm all for some great shows at DCA.... Seems like they are missing the boat if they are trying to attract the teen and 20 crowd with those bands...

...heck...I'm 32 and am not remotely interested in seeing any of them... except maybe America.

I'd much rather go and see Hotel California play.

But, I suppose, at the last minute, their choices are majorly limited.

Iceman
06-18-2002, 06:26 AM
I wonder if the bands they have selected are a function of who's available or (more likely) a marketing misstep where they booked the bands THEY (the 40ish-50ish bosses) want to hear rather than what will draw the crowds they're looking for. I still hope this is successful, but it won't do anything to get ME to the park...

06-18-2002, 06:26 AM
A good mix of contemporary and oldies would have been better. I envy all those who see the Temptations and the Beach Boys.

mousey_girl
06-18-2002, 06:31 AM
I would love to see 50% of those acts. I would not drive for 2 hours and then pay $43 to get into the park though, when I can wait until Sept, drive 10 mins and pay $7 to see the same acts (with the exception of maybe the Beach Boys) for free at the county fair.

Those acts are mostly the "freebies" at the fairs that are popping up all over the state right now. I really can't see them being a big draw to get people to go to DCA. They are great for people who already have trips planned or Premium AP's.

dsny1mom
06-18-2002, 06:45 AM
CS

Dang!! I was kinda counting on seeing the show with some MPers! I'm bummed too that you two already have plans. Hoepfully I'll be able to hook up with others, as My older daughter (who loves Kokamoe (sp) but doesn't care much for the tunes they are really known for) is only staying until the 9th and my younger daughter would rather do just about anything else than see the BB or the Temps.

Hmmm... any other MPers planning on seeing the BB or the Temps?

dsny1mom
(who will go alone if need be:) )

MonorailMan
06-18-2002, 06:53 AM
It SOOOOOO Sucks that So. Cal. AP's are blocked! :(

Maybe I'll just pay the $25 to see the Beach Boys. :)

justagrrl
06-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
I would love to see 50% of those acts. I would not drive for 2 hours and then pay $43 to get into the park though, when I can wait until Sept, drive 10 mins and pay $7 to see the same acts (with the exception of maybe the Beach Boys) for free at the county fair.

Those acts are mostly the "freebies" at the fairs that are popping up all over the state right now. I really can't see them being a big draw to get people to go to DCA. They are great for people who already have trips planned or Premium AP's.

Oooooh....what an insult to DCA...... being compared to the $7 county fair doens't boast well for DCA. (poor DCA - we still love you but it gets more difficult to defend you when you do this sort of stuff.)

zapppop
06-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Here's the lineup:
July 13-14: The Beach Boys
July 15-17: The Temptations
July 18-19: David Clayton Thomas with Blood, Sweat & Tears
July 20: The Commodores
July 21-22: Herman's Hermits
July 23-25: Starship
July 26-28: The 5th Dimension
July 29-31: Paul Revere and the Raiders
Aug. 1-3: (to be announced)
Aug. 4-6: The Turtles
Aug. 7-8: The Buckinghams
Aug. 9-11: (to be announced)
Aug. 12-14: (to be announced)
Aug. 15-17: The Four Tops
Aug. 18-20: America

Personally, I'd like to see some more contemporary acts, but these "oldies, but goodies" should be pretty nice.
I'll tell my mom and dad to renew their AP's right away. :rolleyes:

EandCDad
06-18-2002, 08:23 AM
Just a quick note about the Beach Boys. I'm a huge, huge, huge, Beach Boys fan. I love their music and have seen them a few times, including once when Brian Wilson had pulled it together enough to tour with them in the late 80s.

The current Beach Boys tour is Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and backing musicians and singers. They play all the hits and they sound ok, but I saw them at the Del Mar Fair last year and it was a big disappointment. I know that these guys didn't play most of their own insturments on their records, but watching the current incarnation wasn't that different then watching a bar band play beach boys tunes. You didn't get the feeling you were watching the real deal. Al Jardine has a band that plays some Beach Boys tunes and includes Brian's daughters, that band has about as much right to tour as the Beach Boys as this one.

No Al, Carl, Dennis, or Brian? I would probably watch the show if I were in DCA the day they were playing, but I wouldn't make a special trip or pay extra to see them.

Rallymonkey23
06-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Well, I think I know someone who will be upgrading their pass this summer. My uncle told me that he didn't want to upgrade from a So.Cal pass to the Deluxe... But with the Temptations and Four Tops comming... I think he will change his mind;)

SoCalDisneyLover
06-18-2002, 08:37 AM
I must admit that this lineup does smell an awful lot like the usual offerings at the Orange County Fair in years past. Since I have an Annual Pass, I might stop to check out the Beach Boys, and maybe one of the other groups, but if I didn't...I don't think there is much there which would make my decision to go to CA. In other words, I can't see it attracting all that many new visitors, which I assume it is designed to do.

Many of these bands don't even include the full original lineups, and while they're "oldies but goodies" groups, they're still basically the bargain groups which would play at low cost. Even the OC Fair has more major groups this year than what I see listed for Cal Adventure. Another comparison I would make is to what you can see at the various Food Festivals, such as Taste Of Newport. I did see the Beach Boys there a couple of years ago.

Overall, a disspointment, but as I said...I'm an AP, so it makes no difference to me. I was just hoping to see at least a couple of interesting groups, and the Beach Boys seem like the best of the bunch, all the rest are mediocre at most. It may increase sales of Hoppers, but I doubt it's going to bring a significant group of people to the park, so I can't see Disney making too much off this idea since they have the rennovation costs and the fees to pay each artist that's performing.

blusilva
06-18-2002, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised they haven't booked The Monkees yet. Or, I should say, Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz who have been touring as "The Monkees" this summer. Anyone wanna take bets as to how long it'll be before they're added to the schedule?

AVP
06-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Disney Resort plans to rock (http://www.ocregister.com/business/disney00618cci4.shtml)- Orange County Register, 6/18/02

QuikQuote: The Disneyland Resort is packing extra value into the price of admission with a six-week summer concert series along the bay at California Adventure.

AVP
06-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Can rock turn around the blues for Disney park? (http://www.ocregister.com/business/disney0s0618cci5.shtml)- Orange County Register, 6/18/02

QuikQuote: While Disneyland appears to have recovered since Sept. 11, the numbers at California Adventure are lower on many days than they were a year ago, said Al Lutz, editor of Mouseplanet.com, a Web site about Disney and its parks.

Rallymonkey23
06-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by AVP
said Al Lutz, editor of Mouseplanet.com, a Web site about Disney and its parks.

Whoo! Hoooo!! More advertising!! Wanna bet we'll have more newbies here??

SoCalDisneyLover
06-18-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
I'm surprised they haven't booked The Monkees yet. Or, I should say, Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz who have been touring as "The Monkees" this summer. Anyone wanna take bets as to how long it'll be before they're added to the schedule?

The OC Register does mention The Monkees as one of the acts performing, but no dates are listed. They are likely one of the 3 TBA's.

justagrrl
06-18-2002, 09:45 AM
Okay - I am laughing - in a sad and demented sort of way I guess - but check out what IS playing at the O.C. Fair. It IS a better line up... (imho)

(fair admission +$10)

http://www.ocfair.com/2002/latimes.asp

Hewey Lewis and the News
WILD CHILD - a Tribute to THE DOORS
LINDA RONSTADT
MARTINA MCBRIDE
INDIGO GIRLS
THE NEVILLE BROTHERS
b-52's
save ferris
fab four
keith urban
o.c. supertones
the guess who
styx
bob scaggs
heart
collin raye
lynard skynard

also...in a different area....

carrot top, a blues fest, weird al and more.

(ignore caps...I was copying and pasting but it was annoying me.)

SoCalDisneyLover
06-18-2002, 09:56 AM
Disney got the OC Fair lineup this year, while the Fair got more up to date bands like Huey Lewis, Heart, Styx, Neville Brothers, etc. I suppose CA was going for more of the oldies vibe, which might be some justification. Hopefully the remaining acts might be something special...but I'll reserve judgement until I see. I will probably check out the Beach Boys & Monkees though. I won't complain...since I'm an AP, it's basically a bonus for me. I just don't think it will be the tremendous draw they might be hoping for. Get ready for the advertising push.

Allysen1Derland
06-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I'm all for some great shows at DCA.... Seems like they are missing the boat if they are trying to attract the teen and 20 crowd with those bands...

But, I suppose, at the last minute, their choices are majorly limited.

I agree! Plus ,I think those "Oldie but Goodie" bands are a little more in step with the wholesome family entertainment that Disney is famous for. I would definitely see the Beach Boys, but I would love to see some "contemporary" acts as well. Maybe there is a monster lack of "wholesomeness" out there? I mean, could you imagine:

"DCA PRESENTS: Eminem in Concert- with Ruff'Riders opening acts Ludacris and DMX, Summer 2002"

OR....

"Disney Resorts and Miller Lite are proud to present: Ozzfest '02"!!!!

Haha! Okay, maybe that was a little extreme!!!!:D

sydney
06-18-2002, 11:31 AM
I guess i'm just very non-plussed by the lineup of concerts they've announced. I was excited about the possibilities, but I do think they're targeting a different demographic than mine. So good luck to them, I hope enough people come to DCA to promote extended hours/more rides/better shows in the future.

Disney Nick
06-18-2002, 11:37 AM
I do feel left out of this whole thing too. While I didn't expect to like many of the acts, it appears as though they've left the 20-somethings and below out of it. I mean the least they could've done for the younger kids was throw out an Aaron Carter/Samantha Mumba concert or something to that affect. Disney has some artists signed that the kids would enjoy and would help bring more kids into the park. But maybe that wasn't their target for the concert series, but I don't think a few acts would've hurt.

Uncle Dick
06-18-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by zapppop

I'll tell my mom and dad to renew their AP's right away. :rolleyes:
My thoughts exactly. I know my dad is a big fan of the Temptations and Four Tops, but considering The Temptations were headlining the Madera District Fair a couple of years ago, I don't know if they're much of a draw anymore. He has been wanting to visit DCA for a while now though, so maybe this summer will be the best time to sign him in.

Originally posted by NMoreles
Disney has some artists signed that the kids would enjoy and would help bring more kids into the park. But maybe that wasn't their target for the concert series, but I don't think a few acts would've hurt.
Aren't kids the target of the new Flik's Fun Fair extension? Doesn't one of the major complaints about DCA revolve around little for kids to do in the park? Wouldn't preteen oriented acts pull in the kiddies instead of totally alienating them?