PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Overlay In Storybook Land Canal Boat Ride

ladodgerjon
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
O.K., I'm kidding.

Sort of.

I took my three year-old onto the Storybook boat ride on Saturday (5/19) and noticed that a teeny-tiny swashbuckling pirate had been added to the ride.

I'm not sure of what the "island" is called, but on a tiny wooden bench near a small, golden "statue" of Peter Pan (with dagger drawn, and in a fighting stance), sits a itsy-bitsy pirate-- complete with a drawn cutlass. He's wearing a blue bandanna on his plastic head.

Maybe it's me, but the wee buccaneer looks to be in a slouchy recline.

I mentioned it to my host/guide/tiller-controller, and she thought I was nuts. When we made our second pass, she spotted the little guy and congratulated me on my keen eye-- adding that she thought, "...one of the cast members probably added it recently as a gag."

Hmmm... are pirates invading every nook and cranny of the park in some out of control marketing ploy??!!?? Or is just the work of a lone, witty, CM?!?

We may never know...

avalosn
05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Interesting, I will have to look for it! :fez:

lofosho
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
This is interesting. Does anyone have a picture?

jeffthechef
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
The pirate overlay now replaces the infamous "The ride is down while they add a loop."

Spash Mtn. is closed while they add a pirate overlay!

Haunted Mansion is closed while they add a pirate overlay!

Peter Pan is closed while they add a loop (they already installed the pirate overlay).

ladodgerjon
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
This is interesting. Does anyone have a picture?

I am SO mad that I forgot my camera on Saturday...

I would have loved to have pix of the small swashbuckler, as well as all the TV crews along Main Street (for the POTC premiere).

I also saw something else fairly rare: the big wooden gates leading to Big Thunder Ranch (next to the Village Haus restaurant), were CLOSED (blocking foot traffic from the screening site at PLOTSI).

PanFan
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I also saw something else fairly rare: the big wooden gates leading to Big Thunder Ranch (next to the Village Haus restaurant), were CLOSED (blocking foot traffic from the screening site at PLOTSI).

Just come by that area any night at closing time and you'll see that (though you're right, it is rare at 3:30 in the afternoon!). They're also closed during EE.

I was driving Casey Jr. that day, but I didn't see the pirate at London Park from the tracks (but I wasn't looking for it either). I wish I did!

ladodgerjon
05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Just come by that area any night at closing time and you'll see that (though you're right, it is rare at 3:30 in the afternoon!). They're also closed during EE.

I was driving Casey Jr. that day, but I didn't see the pirate at London Park from the tracks (but I wasn't looking for it either). I wish I did!

Waaay too hard to spot from the tracks-- the pirate is VERY small. You really need to be at water level to see him...

futurecm21
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Hmmm... are pirates invading every nook and cranny of the park in some out of control marketing ploy??!!??

regrettably yes. Now if you'll excuse me I have some screaming to do.

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo:eek:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a:mad:

Why, Why, why now, couldn't this wait another fifty years:confused:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr: mad:

futurecm21

potzbie
05-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Hmmm... are pirates invading every nook and cranny of the park in some out of control marketing ploy??!!?? Or is just the work of a lone, witty, CM?!?

Let's ask Ziggy, the missing crab of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, if he heard any inside dope on who's moving in, and where!
;)

oregonn8v
05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
We are heading there this weekend. I will see if I can get a picture and post here when we return.

Eric

kaybee2
05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm going there tomorrow-Sat. I'll try to get a picture too!

Vegitabeta
05-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Yay, I'd love to see a picture of the little guy!

renodlandlover
05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
We rode storybook land tonight after the parade, and I looked long and hard at that island when we went past, and didn't see any pirates. An overturned wheel barrow, but no pirate, at least to my eyes! SORRY. :confused:

Great day at the parks, though. Rode GRR for the first time! FUN!

ladodgerjon
05-24-2007, 03:45 PM
We rode storybook land tonight after the parade, and I looked long and hard at that island when we went past, and didn't see any pirates. An overturned wheel barrow, but no pirate, at least to my eyes! SORRY.

As Herman Munster used to say, "Darn, darn, darn, DARN!"

Whatta drag. I wonder by my pointing it out on Saturday if the staff removed it (or a landscaper?).

He's REALLY HARD to find-- if you're on your first pass (to the left of the island, heading west out of Monstro's mouth), you'll find him about three benches before the Peter Pan statue.

MrTomMorrow
05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
haha... clever... are pirates the new hidden mickey?

kaybee2
05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I rode today and all 5 of us looked for the pirate but didn't see him. :crying:

If we ride again on this trip I will look again, but I'm thinking he's gone. Bummer.