PDA

View Full Version : Grad Night Question

Pages : [1] 2

IndySpacePirate
05-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Hello everyone!

So I am a senior in high school this year and am still deciding on whether or not I should attend Grad Night at Disneyland on May 24th. I really appreciate Disneyland and definitely respect Walt and the park that he built. With that said I have a really important question...

Do you think Walt would appreciate Grad Night (especially the ones in the last few years)?

Like I said, the park represents a lot more to me than what it is for the regular guest - the history, the man who created the magic, and all the imagination and innovation that makes the park what it is. I participate in MA and have an AP and would say that, like many of you, I enjoy reading about Disneyland and reflecting upon it often.

What I have been reading from my research is that at Grad Nights within the last few years the atmosphere is one of teenagers who can be obnoxious and rude, and who take the park and the CMs for granted. Also, as they play the top hits and stuff I'm wondering if the music is pretty decently selected for content and whatnot. It just wouldn't be cool for me if the teenagers were acting like Disneyland is a place to not be respectful.

Also, I can definitely go with my friends who appreciate DL a lot too, so the people I would be hanging out with wouldn't be jerks or rude. It's just that spending all night in a park with a bunch of teenagers who care about themselves more than respecting where they are would be annoying. Sometimes I wish I lived when it was the social norm of teenagers to dress nicely and be polite, but I think that may be changing.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong and the vast majority of people at Grad Night are really cool and don't want to cause any trouble, and the music that they are playing is decent, but I just wanted to ask anyone that has been before.

Do you think Walt would think that the general atmosphere at the parks for Grad Night would be appropriate and that people were being respectful to both each other and the park? Is the Disneyland magic present at Grad Nights?

Hopefully someone who has attended within the last few years can help me decide.

Thanks!

- Dillon

gtpinoy
05-21-2007, 06:42 AM
I graduated in 2000, so it's been a good 7 years since I went to my Grad Night at Disneyland. The people that I went with were not that into riding the attractions and were more caught up in the 'clubbing' scene. From what I can recall, there were various music stations in different locations throughout the park playing different genres of music. My class actually paid an extra amount (can remember the amount though) to get in early, but that was a total waste of money.

It sounds like you'll be in good company, so I think you'll have a good time. I wish I was with a crowd that wanted to go on rides rather than 'club' at Disneyland. My last couple of hours were watching friends dance while I sat at a table bored waiting for the day to end.

As far as your last questions go, I can't speak for the man himself, but I think during it's first inception, Walt would have approved the general atmosphere at the parks for Grad Night, however, as you stated, the atmosphere has changed. The Disneyland magic isn't really present at Grad Nights in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

PanFan
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
I graduated in 2000 as well and my group did a mix of rides and clubbing. We had a great time, but the lines were REALLY long (which is why we ended up doing a lot of clubbing). I am working at a Grad Nite this coming Thursday, so if it's not too late for you to decide by then, I'll let you know what it was like.

meghan1
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I went last year and had a great time. Avoided the entire club stuff, got to ride everything that was open. I was also in good company. Sure you will see some people not appreciating the place you are in, but its high school. I would say go, enjoy yourself, ride the rides, watch the fireworks, avoid the 'clubs', and have a great time. I found it an especially magical time being in the park as the sun was coming up, the music and clubs had turned off, most people were leaving/asleep, it was actually pretty peaceful.

IndySpacePirate
05-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the great responses. The only other bummer is that both my friend and I have APs but since it is a special event we have to pay full price even though it's not a blockout day. Oh well, I think the price is the only deciding factor, since you guys have stated that it is pretty cool, and I'll be in good company. Oh, and the minor issue I have with a lack of sleep :)

Zuliek
05-22-2007, 06:02 AM
Awesome, thanks for all the great responses. The only other bummer is that both my friend and I have APs but since it is a special event we have to pay full price even though it's not a blockout day. Oh well, I think the price is the only deciding factor, since you guys have stated that it is pretty cool, and I'll be in good company. Oh, and the minor issue I have with a lack of sleep :)

Hi Indy, Please give us a report if you go! Our daughters school is going May 31st!!

gtpinoy
05-22-2007, 06:26 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if AP Holders could just get in during the day and just stay there all night without paying the 'special event' price. If you don't mind me asking, what is the price to go these days?

We did our Grad Night after graduation, so the day after marked the beginning of the summer. I'm assuming you're doing the same? If you aren't, I hope your school is nice enough to give you the day off Friday.

IndySpacePirate
05-22-2007, 08:13 AM
I will for sure write a report on Grad Night on May 24th if I go.

And qtpinoy, I was thinking the same thing as it would:

1) Be beneficial to those who have APs, so they wouldn't have to pay the full price

2) Be really awesome to have a bunch of Disney fans hanging out at the park rather than only allowing this event for teenagers

About the price, it varies by school because of the price of the bus but for my school it is $75 - rather high if you ask me, especially when taking into consideration the fact that both my friend and I have an AP and we could take about $50 off that price if we were able to use them. So I think it depends on how far one's school is away from the park.

My school always gets Friday's off so that won't be a problem, but we still have classes the week after Grad Night.

Malcon10t
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
If you look at your AP, it does say special events are excluded. The positive part? They allowed my son to use his AP discount for purchases.

Malcon10t
05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
About the price, it varies by school because of the price of the bus but for my school it is $75 - rather high if you ask me, especially when taking into consideration the fact that both my friend and I have an AP and we could take about $50 off that price if we were able to use them. So I think it depends on how far one's school is away from the park.
It was $175 for my son last year, and $225 for my daughter in 2003. For hers though it included Universal. So, $75 is cheap. The bus makes up a large portion. Do you think because you have an AP you should get in for free to the Halloween Treat? What about other special events held each year? Now, if you want to go the day after, have your bus drop you off and you can go back i for the day.

gtpinoy
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
It was $175 for my son last year, and $225 for my daughter in 2003. For hers though it included Universal. So, $75 is cheap. The bus makes up a large portion. Do you think because you have an AP you should get in for free to the Halloween Treat? What about other special events held each year? Now, if you want to go the day after, have your bus drop you off and you can go back i for the day.

Doesn't AP get a discount on Halloween Treat? It'd be nice if they at least give AP a discount on Grad Night.

Malcon10t
05-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Doesn't AP get a discount on Halloween Treat? It'd be nice if they at least give AP a discount on Grad Night.Yes, AP holders got a $5 off last years online price I believe. And it was set up so APs had to enter their numbers to get the tickets.

They are selling bulk tickets to the school. The school orders 537 tickets and 3 AP tickets. It wouldn't work. Imagine the hassles when one kid bought an AP ticket, then they have to show the AP at the park, they forgot it, it expired, etc.... Any discounts given to APs for special events should be looked at as an extra perk. This would just be a logistics nightmare.

avalosn
05-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I went to Grad Night in 2000 and yes, they do have the "clubs" where people can go dance and stuff, but you don't have to go to that if you choose not to. They really only have them in certain spots in the park, like, I think Power 106 was inside Golden Horseshoe when I went. Yes, there are lots of teens there, some of which will choose to be obnoxious and annoying, but I don't think it's really anything you can't avoid. I think you should go, it's kinda like a right of passage for Southern Cali (and other?) high schools. It is great to know that there are people like you out there who want to have a good time while respecting yourself and others! The only thing I advise is get A LOT of sleep before if you can and bring a jacket!!! Those early morning hours (2 & 3am) get pretty chilly right now. I didn't bring a jacket and I was freezing the entire night! You really will have fun!!

awdfan
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
We weren't allowed to go to Grad Night. Our principal thought it was "stupid" and "boring" and "why would you guys want to go there anyway?" so he hosted a sleepover party in the gym at our school. :confused: I graduated from high school 17 years ago and still hate him for that decision he took upon himself.

So, if it were me, I'd say go. I can understand what you're saying and appreciate it, but you'll be with your group of friends who feel the same way as you. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

sjcivilady
05-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I went in 1970 - ha ha! It was pretty magical. We actually had to wear dresses as I recall (but we had to wear skirts to public school anyway, so no big deal). And it was $25 for bus & admission. We drove down in school buses, though - try sleeping in one of them... :)

mmurray54
05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I've been invited to chaperon GradNight the last couple of years; and have been able to use my AP discount when buying stuff in the park.

I must say Disneyland is transformed into a totally different park for grad night, not saying that it's good or bad, just different.

Malcon10t
05-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I went in 1970 - ha ha! It was pretty magical. We actually had to wear dresses as I recall (but we had to wear skirts to public school anyway, so no big deal). And it was $25 for bus & admission. We drove down in school buses, though - try sleeping in one of them... :)

1977 here!! We were allowed to wear pantsuits!!! No sneakers, guys needed a sport coat and slacks, girls dresses or pantsuits. I don't remember the cost. I do remember 4 hours waiting for Space Mountain which had just opened.

cynthia312
05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I graduated in 2005. Grad nite was NOT fun for me. =( I had friends who just wanted to focus on the "clubbin scene." Why that and not the whole Disneyland athmosphere you might ask? I don't know. Maybe all they wanted to do was bump and grind against other guys. -_- ughhhhh...but I didn't have fun. I rather go in the normal hours and have a better time. And it was wayyyyyyy too crowded.

But that was quickly made up by my boyfriend who took me on a weekend Disneyland getaway the next weekend. =) And we HAD Disney fun. All disney, all weekend. Just the way I like it! :)

IndySpacePirate
05-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Well, I didn't end up going and here's why:

1) The clubbing atmosphere and how the park was built to be a place for families and yet they are playing music that is not appropriate for this atmosphere. I read on another message board that a DJ one year was playing music that stated the "F" word over and over and the teenagers were yelling that. Now I know that it's not a family event but something about the "partying" and music doesn't seem right to me.

2) From what I've read, Grad Night over the last few years has gotten progressively worse with disrespectful kids who feel entitled to treat CMs badly and take advantage of what the park has to offer - now this is just what I've read, and of course there are teenagers that are respectful and nice, but I've read more negatives than positives in this regard.

3) The price. I know it was only $75 for my school, and that other schools are more expensive, but still when you factor in how much time you are actually in the park it wasn't really worth it. Grad Night is from 9 PM to 6 AM so you only get about 9 hours in the park, if your bus makes it there on time and gets in without too much waiting. Some of that time may also be spent sleeping or half-awake, so it's even less time to really appreciate park. I'd rather much pay for a ticket during the day, and even save money, and have more time to appreciate DL. Especially having an AP and knowing I can go the next day for free is somewhat of a letdown.

4) Also, I've read that all the valuable merchandise is removed from the shelves and it is replaced by plush toys. Now for one that's gotta be annoying for CMs, and two it seems that if DL even has to worry that teenagers will steal valuable merchandise or break it, then that it itself is not good.

5) I would be way tired by the end of Grad Night.

That's just my take on what I've read about the event and I'm glad I made the decision not to go. I'll probably get responses that say opinions of Grad Night otherwise, and I really appreciate those who responded to this thread. I'd much rather go during the day with a few of my friends and have a great time than have an atmosphere that isn't all that great.

Thanks!

DisneylandForever
05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
For the type of guy you are, boy genius, it definitely sounds like you made the right call!

Malcon10t
05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
All of my kids are Disney Geeks, and the three that have gone have really enjoyed it. The last two lead their friends around and really had a good time. I know even back in my day (whoa) it was a very different experience (not necessarily worse) than going with your parents. Yes, they remove mercandise and put up Grad Nite merchandise, but there is still a lot of neat stuff to buy. Mine came home with some interesting items.

But, it isn't something every single person will enjoy. However, you can't say you didn't like it until you have been there. My grad nite was during the opening of Space Mountain in 77, and we waited 4 hours for 1 ride. And I would do it again. There was just something great about enjoying with all your best friends. My kids have came home with great pictures of their trips. I would not want to discourage a Senior from this trip. The great majority really enjoy. We have one local school that would love to go there instead of Six Flags, but 8 years ago, one class got them banned from attending again.

Zuliek
05-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Yes, they remove mercandise and put up Grad Nite merchandise, but there is still a lot of neat stuff to buy. Mine came home with some interesting items. .
Hi, are most the shops open or are only small stands open? Will the Emporium on Main St be open? And do these shops close early? Does anyone know if they sell DVDs of Disneyland? I am wondering if they do, if they are some of the merchandise put away.

Tinkermommy
05-26-2007, 11:29 AM
1977 here!! We were allowed to wear pantsuits!!! I do remember 4 hours waiting for Space Mountain which had just opened.

Another 1977 graduate here -- LOL! My boyfriend wore a three-piece white pantsuit with bell-bottom pants (ha ha!). My pantsuit was a three-piece, burgundy polyester number with big lapels. And we fit right in with everybody else! :rolleyes:

I remember Space Mountain being brand new, but I don't remember having to wait in line as long as you did. The rest of Grad Nite is a blur, except for the bus ride to and from the desert...which seemed endless...

IndySpacePirate
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Over on MiceChat the member C-HOX wrote a trip report about Grad Night on May 24th, the night my school went. I found it interesting what was written in the post as I didn't end up going and I wanted to know what it was like. It's the first report I've read about a Grad Night recently, and maybe it'll help other people get an idea of what Grad Night is like now and how it has changed.

http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65655

Malcon10t
05-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Over on MiceChat the member C-HOX wrote a trip report about Grad Night on May 24th, the night my school went. I found it interesting what was written in the post as I didn't end up going and I wanted to know what it was like. It's the first report I've read about a Grad Night recently, and maybe it'll help other people get an idea of what Grad Night is like now and how it has changed.

http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65655Make sure you read all the trip reports in there. Goober went the same night as C-HOX and had a completely different experience. I know both all of mine have gone and loved it (last year my #3 child went, next year #4 will go!)