PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading parkhopper to AP? [merged]

kimc0486
05-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I am going to DL in June and am thinking of upgrading my 3-day parkhopper to an AP, I keep going at least once a year, and this trip would have been on my AP had I bought one when I was there a few months ago :rolleyes: Anyways, how do I go about doing this? I would be upgrading to a Deluxe AP from a 3-day park hopper, or is it more beneficial to buy an AP upfront rather then the 3-day?

Thanks!! :D

Leap for Joy
05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
There are a couple of things to consider in deciding on the timing.

1) Will you use the Early Entry that comes with your parkhopper? If so, wait until you've used it to upgrade.

2) If you're planning to purchase a Deluxe AP, are there any blockout days during your planned trip? If so, wait until that day or later to upgrade. You can upgrade on a blockout day and stay in the park.

ktrm
05-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Can you upgrade the Costco purchased Citypass 3 day hopper to an annual pass? If you can, does anyone know what value is given to this hopper?

On another note, to upgrade a AAA 3 day hopper to a deluxe Annual Pass, is it still recommended to upgrade it on the last day of the park hopper so the blackout days do not interfere with your current trip? Also, do you upgrade these passes at the Bank on Main Street and if so what are their hours of operation? I would hate to upgrade my pass on my last day, Saturday June 9th only to find out the Bank is closed. If I upgrade on this blackout day, can I hop over to California Adventures on the Deluxe Annual Pass that now has replaced my hopper even though its a balckout day or am I stuck in Disneyland for that last day.

Thanks so much.

Malcon10t
05-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Can you upgrade the Costco purchased Citypass 3 day hopper to an annual pass? If you can, does anyone know what value is given to this hopper?Yes you can, BUT I have never been able to get Disney to give me a straight answer on the value.

On another note, to upgrade a AAA 3 day hopper to a deluxe Annual Pass, is it still recommended to upgrade it on the last day of the park hopper so the blackout days do not interfere with your current trip? Also, do you upgrade these passes at the Bank on Main Street and if so what are their hours of operation? I would hate to upgrade my pass on my last day, Saturday June 9th only to find out the Bank is closed. If I upgrade on this blackout day, can I hop over to California Adventures on the Deluxe Annual Pass that now has replaced my hopper even though its a balckout day or am I stuck in Disneyland for that last day.

Thanks so much.Upgrade once there are no more blacked out dates for your AP. That way you can use the dining discounts. Upgrades are at the bank, it is open the same hours as the turnstiles. We have upgraded at 2am on NYE/NYD. Yes, you can park hop on the blackout day, you may have to tell them you just got it, but we didn't have a problem on NYD.

chelebele
05-24-2007, 05:20 AM
We used the citypass, and I think they had a value of $164 on the back of the actual disneyland ticket when I looked at them. I could find them and check to be sure for you if you like. Just let me know and I'll dig them out!

Michele

ktrm
05-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Sorry this is my 3rd thread posted today, but as the trip gets closer and closer I think of more questions. So I think I know the answer to this already, but hear goes... I just bought a $159 three day hopper pass from AAA for my trip. My mom absolutely does not believe that it can be upgraded to a Deluxe Annual Pass while I'm in the park for a mere $80 ($239-$159) From everything I have read, despite my mom's disbelief, this is correct. Right? We are definitely planning to go in November again for 3 days so this would save me $79($159-$80) as long as I don't go on a blackout day. The only blackout days in November as I recall are the 23th, 24th, and 25th.

If this is correct, I plan on upgrading my moms ticket, my ticket, and my two children's tickets. I am also contemplating upgrading only my ticket to a Premium Pass for $200 but I don't quite know if its worth it. It might be fun to try to get discounts on the Disneyland Hotels. I have been wanting to try them. Only the premium pass allows this...correct? How about discounts at other local hotels...do you need the premium pass? I know you get free parking the premium pass as well as 15% food discounts and 10% merchandise discounts. I think the only thing you get with the deluxe pass is a 10% discount on food. With a deluxe annual passport you pay $30 to get in on a blackout day? Mmmm maybe its not worth it.

Malcon10t
05-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Sorry this is my 3rd thread posted today, but as the trip gets closer and closer I think of more questions. So I think I know the answer to this already, but hear goes... I just bought a $159 three day hopper pass from AAA for my trip. My mom absolutely does not believe that it can be upgraded to a Deluxe Annual Pass while I'm in the park for a mere $80 ($239-$159) From everything I have read, despite my mom's disbelief, this is correct. Right? We are definitely planning to go in November again for 3 days so this would save me $79($159-$80) as long as I don't go on a blackout day. The only blackout days in November as I recall are the 23th, 24th, and 25th.You are correct. We do this each time we "renew".

I am also contemplating upgrading only my ticket to a Premium Pass for $200 but I don't quite know if its worth it. It might be fun to try to get discounts on the Disneyland Hotels. I have been wanting to try them. Only the premium pass allows this...correct? How about discounts at other local hotels...do you need the premium pass? I know you get free parking the premium pass as well as 15% food discounts and 10% merchandise discounts. I think the only thing you get with the deluxe pass is a 10% discount on food. With a deluxe annual passport you pay $30 to get in on a blackout day? Mmmm maybe its not worth it.The AP discounts on hotels can be had by everyone with an AP (SAP, DAP, adn PAP.) As far as the other discounts, you are correct. Think about it this way... You are paying $120 more for the PAP. Will you use the parking? If so, the different is only $70. There are no block out days if you go on one, and that extra 5% can make a major difference, especially in Character buffets. Will you spend more than $700 on all visits for food and merchandise? If so, the PAP is worth it.

yenko427
05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Malcon10t, don't mean to hijack here but I have a question about the renewal. So, f I want to get in on a package deal with let's say Alaska.....I have to purchase hoppers through them as well. We are DAP holders now. Am I correct in that I can use the hoppers and put it towards my renewal of the DAP, renewing while we are at DL?

kimc0486
05-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Where do you upgrade from a hopper to an AP? Can I use my disney visa rewards card to pay for it?

Also, if I am correct, I think, it is upgraded across from city hall (the bank?) I always see a long line there when I go, but am not sure, which is why I am asking. But, if that is the case and it is the place to renew, what is the best time of day to do this? Are mornings crazy? Thanks!

Malcon10t
05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Where do you upgrade from a hopper to an AP? Can I use my disney visa rewards card to pay for it?

Also, if I am correct, I think, it is upgraded across from city hall (the bank?) I always see a long line there when I go, but am not sure, which is why I am asking. But, if that is the case and it is the place to renew, what is the best time of day to do this? Are mornings crazy? Thanks!Yes, that is where you upgrade. We find the lines are short late at night or first thing in the am. Yes, you can use Disney Visa Rewards to pay for it.

If you have a picture in the system, you can do it at Guest Services outside the gate, to the left of the turnstiles. We find its usually faster there.

Malcon10t, don't mean to hijack here but I have a question about the renewal. So, f I want to get in on a package deal with let's say Alaska.....I have to purchase hoppers through them as well. We are DAP holders now. Am I correct in that I can use the hoppers and put it towards my renewal of the DAP, renewing while we are at DL?I have never done it, but I do know people who did it using the Costco 4 day tickets. I did use a 2 day PH to upgrade from a DAP to a PAP. They asked why I had a ticket when I had a DAP, I just told them I wanted to save for it, and once I had the money I bought these so I had them paid for. (I actually wanted to get the $9 ART passes.) They were fine with it.

ktrm
05-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Now, are the AP food discounts only good for the restaurants not small places like the french fry wagon, the Tiki Room, and the fresh fruit stands? I thought I read somewhere that there was also a $10 minimum to get a discount.

Malcon10t
05-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Now, are the AP food discounts only good for the restaurants not small places like the french fry wagon, the Tiki Room, and the fresh fruit stands? I thought I read somewhere that there was also a $10 minimum to get a discount.The discount applies to most food locations but not to ODV carts, which the fry and tiki room places are classified. (Basically, places you can pay via credit card.) There is no minimum as I have done discounts on just sodas. The $10 applies to merchandise.

ktrm
06-10-2007, 06:28 PM
You are correct. We do this each time we "renew".

The AP discounts on hotels can be had by everyone with an AP (SAP, DAP, adn PAP.) As far as the other discounts, you are correct. Think about it this way... You are paying $120 more for the PAP. Will you use the parking? If so, the different is only $70. There are no block out days if you go on one, and that extra 5% can make a major difference, especially in Character buffets. Will you spend more than $700 on all visits for food and merchandise? If so, the PAP is worth it.

Thanks Malcon10t, I upgraded at the bank to a deluxe pass and it went as smoothly as you said. No surprises or problems. I wish I had read your post about getting a 10% discount on food purchases of under $10. I did not even try. Oh well next time. I also did not realize till it was too late that I could get a discount at WWS.