PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the Parking Structure at Night

River Belle
05-19-2007, 08:58 AM
More often than not, when I'm leaving the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure late at night, the cones are set up to prevent me from merging over to the right to exit onto Ball Road. This is so frustrating!!!

Is there a good reason for this?

bassett1976
05-19-2007, 09:02 AM
More often than not, when I'm leaving the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure late at night, the cones are set up to prevent me from merging over to the right to exit onto Ball Road. This is so frustrating!!!

Is there a good reason for this?

Probably to avoid car crashes. You can always take the bridge, enter the 5 freeway south and exit Katella. This is the way I use to get to the 57 freeway when we are leaving. It actually goes a little faster than ball to the 57.

River Belle
05-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Bassett, for the tip!

I'm still perplexed by the closure, though--sometimes it begins several hours before closing when there's not an overabundance of people leaving the park.

The signs direct us to merge right for Ball Road, but then we're blocked! Anyone else know the reason for the closure?

adriennek
05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
They set it up earlier in the day so that they're not in the way of fast moving cars when they do it?

Adrienne

River Belle
05-19-2007, 03:27 PM
They set it up earlier in the day so that they're not in the way of fast moving cars when they do it?

This makes sense, but have there really been so many accidents during "the merge" that they need to close it whenever there are good size crowds at the parks? It really is a nuissance, and though I'll be taking bassett1976's advice in order to avoid the whole U-turn scenario, it still irritates me that I'm not given the option to merge right to Ball Road, even though there are plenty of signs instructing me to do so.

DisneyDustin22
05-19-2007, 04:39 PM
This makes sense, but have there really been so many accidents during "the merge" that they need to close it whenever there are good size crowds at the parks? It really is a nuissance, and though I'll be taking bassett1976's advice in order to avoid the whole U-turn scenario, it still irritates me that I'm not given the option to merge right to Ball Road, even though there are plenty of signs instructing me to do so.

It may seem like a nuissance, but I will gladly go out of my way an extra 5 minutes if it means not getting in an accident. I learned that lesson the hard way. I don't even make left hand turns across traffic out of gas stations/strip malls/etc anymore. I alwas go right and then backtrack if I need to.

You may think you're the only car coming out of the parking garage and think its safe to merge across, until the idiot who isn't obeying the 14mph limit comes flying from behind you.

woowoo
05-27-2007, 08:24 AM
in a post by darkbeer on 6/29/2006 he wrote "The Anaheim Police Department is making this decision due to traffic control issues.

The best option in this case, stay to the right, and get onto 5 south.

Take the first exit, Harbor Blvd. At the end of the off-ramp, make a left (north) on Harbor. The second light is Ball Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagedork
Is this going to be normal now? It stinks because I know a lot of people who take the 57 and they should post that or something.

I wouldn't be surprised, The Anaheim Police Dept. makes the decision based on the size of the crowds, and this will be a busy weekend, and I presume most of the summer. Besides, I think the Anaheim Police would like the guests to get off their streets ASAP, and this is an easy way to get them straight to the freeway. Also, what is happening at Downtown Disney (things like House of Blues concerts) also come into the decision.