PDA

View Full Version : Official versus Actual Opening Time?

Kat in WA
06-17-2002, 07:03 PM
We are leaving in 5 days and I have one quick question. It is listed that the actual opening time for Disneyland is 8 a.m. Does anyone know if this is when the whole park opens, or can we get into Main Street at 7:30? Just want to be there for the maximum hours since we have to travel so far to visit. Thanks!

Disney Nick
06-17-2002, 10:18 PM
I would say get there by 7:30-7:45. If Main Street is open you can explore that for a little while. If not, at least you won't be too far back in the lines.

RideMax Mark
06-18-2002, 05:29 AM
I would advise getting to the main gate by 7:30, a few minutes earlier if you still need to buy your tickets. Also, see tip #10 on my web site (http://www.funplans.com/disneyland/tips.html) if you end up getting there later than you had hoped!

Have a great trip!

EandCDad
06-18-2002, 04:54 PM
My recommendation is to always, always, always, have your ticket purchased and be ready to enter the park 1/2 hour before the posted opening time. This allows you to enter the park and see Main Street and then be prepared for them to drop the rope at the posted opening time.

Plan beforehand each day which are the first set of rides you will go to. If you have young children, I would recommend doing Peter Pan and Dumbo first thing. Have fun!

lotsafuzz
06-19-2002, 08:35 AM
Here is something we found two weeks ago:

Instead of going right after you enter the gates (going right onto Main Street), go left (toward the wheelchair booth). We did that twice and both times we walked into a 'wall' of characters with almost ZERO waiting. We met Pooh (big whoop for me, but some people like him), Tigger, Piglet, Eeyoor (spell?), Capt. Hook, Peter Pan, and of course The Mouse himself! (Note: there is a shorter form of Mickey that you just might miss if there is a crowd around him....the little guy was even shorter than *I* am and I almost walked right by him....don't ask me how, my Mickey radar is usually really good).

If you spend some time with the characters you won't be right at the rope line for the rope drop, HOWEVER you can go into the candy shop on the right hand side of the street and work your way through the shop and end up about 8 feet from the rope. Unless being the FIRST person is very important, the candy shop enterence is fine. We hoofed it to Indy and were in the fifth car to run with, again, ZERO waiting.

If you are heading for Splash first thing (wasn't on *MY* list of things to do first thing) you will still get on Splash with little waiting even if you spend time with the characters on Main Street.

I do totally agree with being in line 30 minutes early (heck, I'd suggest 45 minutes on a busy day) and having tickets in hand well before lining up is a *must*.

What we ended up doing was hitting the park hard from the opening until around noon then moving over to DCA (I know what you've probably read about DCA, but do NOT miss it! ) for lunch. We then moved back to DL around 3 or 4 for the rest of the evening. One day we did go back to the hotel (DLH) because my feet were a mess and I, so I was told, needed a nap! I think that really helped us stay in the Disney frame of mind because we didn't get frustrated with the crowds.

Have a wonderful time! :)

funnygarcia
06-19-2002, 05:41 PM
Another good tip --- when you line up at gate- notice there are a few lines that have trees in front of them. I f you find the right tree/line- there are actually TWO lines there- but the tree is in the way of the line - so it breaks into two sides. This line goes very fast as most people don't realize it is actaully two lines... ok does any of that make sense????
OH and have your backpack open - tickets out..

but be careful - I had a CM drop one of my passes when she reached for a map - then claimed I only gave her 3 instead of 4... I happened to see it just sticking out of a map and then she went diving to get it - making it slide down further- while I am trying to shoo her hand away and gently tease it out. She gave a little smile , not much of an apology (like she was blaming me for it!) and scanned us in... I was peeved.. Yeah lady no difference to you but worth $141 for me darn it!!

coronamouseman
06-19-2002, 06:31 PM
DLR not nearly as much fun during openings as WDW - there they seem to open the gates whenever they feel like it and usually up to 1/2 hour before the announced park opening ............