PDA

View Full Version : It's no longer New Orleans Square - It's Pirate Land

olegc
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
With the coming entertainment for PLATSI, stunt show, rumored tear down for Fort Wilderness, the coming film, and Phase 2 of PLATSI some time in the future - is it too wild to assume that - shoot - why bother having a NOS anymore? Since Phase 2 supposedly will make TSI more like the Carribean then the HM will look out of place, as will French Market and the rest of NOS's ambiance. If POTC3 is wildly successful - it's not too far off to see Dick Cook tell Jay and Doormat Ed to remake the entire NOS into Port Royale - and call it PirateLand (or some facsimile thereof)...

Then Marketing will find some tie in to claim that Pirate's somehow migrated West and set up camp at Tombstone or somewhere else - and you'll have The Golden Boot, and Big Thunder Mountain Swashbuckler...

Sorry for being so cynical - but this juggernaut has legs..

Oh, yeah, Jerry Bruckheimer at the CM screening at El Capitan on Wednesday said this would be the last film. The actual quote was "last in the trilogy" so that could mean more - but Jerry said he did not want to do anymore.. So I wonder what Dick Cook and the Burbank Yahoos think about that...

Bytebear
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe they can make a prequel, then re-release the originals with updated effects, ala George Lucas and Star Wars.

Burnt Toast
05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Whoo... I had to do a double take because I thought I had logged into MiceChat for some odd reason.

olegc
05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Whoo... I had to do a double take because I thought I had logged into MiceChat for some odd reason.

:confused: MiceChat is a LOT more negative (at times) than this.. but I digress, and don't want to get edited by our wonderful editors...

It was in a thread before. Yes, Disneyland will always change - but the overall theme of each land has maintained it's integrity for so long... now there will be the beginning of the blur - where essentially you will have to maintain tunnel vision since looking beyond the immediate item in front of you will kill the illusion..

futurecm21
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
NOS has always been Pirate Land even if it hasn't gone by that name. New Orleans, and the south in general is well known for its rich pirate history, and I've always thought of New Orleans Square as having a strong pirate oriented theme even though it wasn't official. However, they better not make it official, or I will be sooo stinkin mad, you won't want to be around me for a couple a months. I think that with the pirates movies ending will also help put a stop to the uncalled for invasion of Disneyland in general.

futurecm21

olegc
05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
NOS has always been Pirate Land even if it hasn't gone by that name. New Orleans, and the south in general is well known for its rich pirate history, and I've always thought of New Orleans Square as having a strong pirate oriented theme even though it wasn't official. However, they better not make it official, or I will be sooo stinkin mad, you won't want to be around me for a couple a months. I think that with the pirates movies ending will also help put a stop to the uncalled for invasion of Disneyland in general.

futurecm21

well - I will differ with you there. The "strong" pirate theming was only in the last couple of years. Pieces of Eight started as an arcade with a couple of chotchki souvenirs. The main store sold more New Orleans staples (beignet mix, chicory coffee, cookbooks, beads and masks). Cafe Orleans and the French Market are definitely Southern Oriented, as well as the streets within the back alleys of NOS - but the Pirate theming was strictly held to the interior of the POTC attraction. As well, the HM has held strong to the stately southern mansion with columns and tall, ornate windows and wrought iron.

either way - I REALLY am praying that they don't go too far with this. PirateFantasmic is next, and Pirate Pooh can't be far behind...

ladodgerjon
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
NOS has always been Pirate Land even if it hasn't gone by that name. New Orleans, and the south in general is well known for its rich pirate history...

Look, I'll be as angry as anyone should Fort Wilderness disappear.

That said, I don't feel pirates are out-of-bounds when appearing in NOS-- they are a historically accurate part of that region's lore.

I also think trains, ships, pirates, cowboys, critters, ghosts and monsters are "forever favorites" of most every kid's development-- and all of those fun things can be found on that side of the park. At the moment, nothing seems out of place in NOS.

One last thought: you can bet that as the POC movies slide from our consciousness, so too will the over-amplification of the merry band of pirate "overlays."

Anyone seen the Disneyland circus lately? Holidayland? Videopolis? Catch my drift? DL is always changing...

karl
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Gotta figure someone is thinking how to incorporate "Treasure Planet" in Tomorrowland :)

Doodle Duck
05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Not to rock anyones boat but New Orleans and Louisiana is part of Pirate Land in real life. Check the History books. Jean La Feitte (not sure of spelling, sorry) for example. See the most excellent pirate film with Yul Bryner and Charlton Heston 'The Bucaneer'. (Great score too!) Andrew Jackson would recognize the Pirate trim.

futurecm21
05-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Not to rock anyones boat but New Orleans and Louisiana is part of Pirate Land in real life. Check the History books. Jean La Feitte (not sure of spelling, sorry) for example. See the most excellent pirate film with Yul Bryner and Charlton Heston 'The Bucaneer'. (Great score too!) Andrew Jackson would recognize the Pirate trim.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say in my original post, but I didn't get it across very well. Pirates are a natural part of the south, and New Orleans area.

That being said, I still think they need to back off a lot on the pirate theming.

I've got my fingers crossed that Tom Sawyers Island will still be recognizable when its renovations are finished, and if they add one more movie scene to the pirates ride I might just have to boycott Disney for the rest of my life. (Like they give a crap what I think) but still, it'll make me feel better inside.

futurecm21

MrTomMorrow
05-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, wasn't Tom Sawyer Island part of Frontierland? I feel like pirates have left New Orleans and colonized part of the West, now.

Another Dimension
05-18-2007, 06:57 PM
NOS lost it's soul and became Pirate Land last yarrr.... :(
When several legendary New Orleans Square at Disneyland jazz bands with 1000's of songs in their repetoires were decimated down to ONLY two good jazz bands and 1 definitely low-rate/pi-rate band that each only play a half dozen different songs now.

And this information was posted on at least a dozen different Mouse boards and the collective fandom pretty much yawned.
"NOS is being gutted?!!" :|

Where was this outrage ... last year?
When marching on City Hall and writing letters could have made a difference..
:rolleyes:

And now the pirates have sunk in even deeper, expanded their reach further and further .. and just wait til Phase Two.

Arrr... :eek:

Will any classic JAZZ ever return to New Orleans Square after everything pirate except the attraction is crammed onto T.S.igh?
:confused:

Anything that happens to TSI under the knife of WDI or WDI/DDS is basically cool with me, if NOS is returned to even half as cool as it was... from '97-2004.

:cool:

10-97
05-18-2007, 07:45 PM
The original POTC was my favorite ride, and Pieces of Eight was my favorite shop (especially when we could still get the custom-stamped "Pieces of Eight" coins). But I'll be glad when the pirate mania cools down. New Orleans Square and Frontierland each have a special atmosphere that I think would be spoiled by too much of a pirate theme.

I got depressed when I read that Fort Wilderness will probably be demolished.
This is the first summer in a long time that I don't feel like going to DL.

DisneyDustin22
05-18-2007, 10:28 PM
That being said, I still think they need to back off a lot on the pirate theming.

futurecm21

I agree.

Yet, Tom Sawyer isn't making Disney billions of dollars. The same thing would have happened if Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion became a billion dollar trilogy. Can you imagine if that was the mega hit instead of Pirates?

futurecm21
05-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Can you imagine if that was the mega hit instead of Pirates?

That would be just horrible. But I think a ghost theme would work better for Tom Sawyers Island than a pirate theme.

Its still not too late to boycott anything pirates and let Disney know just how much you dislike the takeover, who knows, if enough of you join they may just listen.

futurecm21

cstephens
05-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Gotta figure someone is thinking how to incorporate "Treasure Planet" in Tomorrowland :)

"Treasure Planet" should never be incorporated into anything. Awful, awful movie. And they already did it better in "Atlantis"? What's with the remake so early?

olegc
05-19-2007, 02:18 PM

I never said "no pirates" in my original post. I just felt an overwhelming push to make it ALL pirate - which ignores the other rich cultures that make New Orleans the melting pot it is...

MadasaHatter
05-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey,

Kids have always loved pirates and always will. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn played pirates way back when in the olden days and kids still do and POTC is still one of the no. one rides so I say bring it on. FORT WILDERNESS???? cannot remember the last time I looked at the mannequinns in the little office???? Kinda stinky if I recall. Looking forward to the renovation. I love the new stuff at Disneyland. If it isn't popular they take it out and put in something else so it is always a win/win situation for me....of course I am a bit mad.....

olegc
05-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey,

Kids have always loved pirates and always will. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn played pirates way back when in the olden days and kids still do and POTC is still one of the no. one rides so I say bring it on. FORT WILDERNESS???? cannot remember the last time I looked at the mannequinns in the little office???? Kinda stinky if I recall. Looking forward to the renovation. I love the new stuff at Disneyland. If it isn't popular they take it out and put in something else so it is always a win/win situation for me....of course I am a bit mad.....

again - missing my point. It's not that there are pirates, or that TSI now is pirate themed, or that Fort WIlderness is going away that much. It's the sheer volume of it all.. and , no one yet confirmed anything re: FW (although it's plausible). If they do - don't count on going in to that facility - it is supposed to be for CMs.

MadasaHatter
05-20-2007, 10:46 PM
nope,

Didn't miss your point. From Day one of me going to Disneyland I always thought that NOS had a clear POTC at its centerpiece. The movie is coming out so of course there is more pirate stuff going on. ANd YES if they have three hour waits for the new TOM SAWYER'S ISLAND they may turn it into JACK SPARROW'S ISLAND and change NOS into Port Royal. But honestly OLEG to put you at ease....I too really think this is just a MOVIE craze going on and it will pull back in a few years when the fervor is down. Then NOS will return to Jazzier, les piratey land.

Personally to me I have NEVER been Piratecentric in NOS but rather Ghostcentric. The HM is and may always be my favorite ride in DL. In a way I am glad that movie tanked so the Mansion stayed calm and quiet and no EDDIE MURPHY voice overs....YUCK. Just not a big fan. Ok....I am babbling now....gotta go. Bye Bye.

wabby1
05-21-2007, 06:37 AM
You you have to consider what Walt envisioned with that area of the park. Coincidentally, I was watching the 10th anniversary of Disneyland DVD last night, and Walt was outlining his plans for NOS....and he mentioned the "Blue Bayou Lagoon" as the name of the place which later became POC. He clearly outlined that NOS was to be filled with shops, with a clear NEW ORLEANS type of theme, however the "Pirate" attraction would be a highlight.

I just think Disney has capitalized on the "Pirates" theme merely because of demographics. A lot of young people who now visit the park can clearly relate to Captain Jack Sparrow, so having the movie intertwine with it only makes more sense. I'll be there in less than 2 weeks, and I'll reserve my final judgement on it until then....but from what I gather, people (young people especially) are embracing the changes.

The old man
05-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Its still not too late to boycott anything pirates and let Disney know just how much you dislike the takeover, who knows, if enough of you join they may just listen.

Yeah, right.

ElizaDolittle
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I read somewhere that some of the changes to Tom Sawyer Island would be viewable this weekend. Is that right?

futurecm21
05-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, right.

Watch me, I'll single handedly take on all of the stinkin pirates the next time I'm in California and still have time for churro or two.

futurecm21

bloodnswash
05-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe they can make a prequel, then re-release the originals with updated effects, ala George Lucas and Star Wars.

I saw the movie at the Premiere. It is definitely set up that IF they want to make more movies that they can.