PDA

View Full Version : Use Some Common Sense

tommorwlandfan
06-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Disneyland needs to use some common sense:
They close Country Bear Playhouse right before the movie comes out. Smart marketing technique. They did the same thing with the Woddy's Roundup Revue (Golden Horseshoe). They closed it 3 month before Toy Story 2 opened. Real smart marketing.

JeffG
06-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by tommorwlandfan
They did the same thing with the Woddy's Roundup Revue (Golden Horseshoe). They closed it 3 month before Toy Story 2 opened. Real smart marketing.

No they didn't. Woody's Roundup started at the park about a week after "Toy Story 2" opened and ran until about 8 months later.

-Jeff

mousey_girl
06-17-2002, 05:52 PM
And the line for the Roundup wrapped around the building!!!

merlinjones
06-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Maybe he means they canned it just before the video came out (which I remember thinking odd).

Techie7
06-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by tommorwlandfan
Disneyland needs to use some common sense:
They close Country Bear Playhouse right before the movie comes out. Smart marketing technique.

I agree this marketing choice is a strange one. They could have gotten more leverage closing it after the movie (assuming it does well). The closing they had was low key and did not draw any extra people.

Uncle Dick
06-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Techie7

I agree this marketing choice is a strange one. They could have gotten more leverage closing it after the movie (assuming it does well). The closing they had was low key and did not draw any extra people.
As I understand, there were a lot of people lined up to see the final show, so many, in fact, that they ran both theaters simultaneously so that more people to see "the last one".

stinkerbell
06-18-2002, 12:28 AM
It might not be so stupid from the film point of view. Country Bear Jamboree was not my favorite DL experience. Even when I was young. In fact, my kids have never seen the show since I pretty much vetoed the idea, since my parents always dragged me to see it every visit........so why do I want to see the movie? I don't really like the concept or the characters, so could the allure be the fact that I can never go to the Jamboree or see those characters ever again, except for the film? Because honestly, if the attraction was still at Disneyland, I would NEVER go see the movie. No way. :eek: Maybe they planned it this way!

Uncle Dick
06-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
I don't really like the concept or the characters, so could the allure be the fact that I can never go to the Jamboree or see those characters ever again, except for the film?
But the original attraction still exists at Walt Disney World. That's what makes the decision to close the Disneyland version all the more puzzling.

EandCDad
06-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Its possible (although I don't really have any idea) that the long term benefits (in terms of popularity) of a Pooh ride outweighed the short term Country Bear boost. Maybe they felt that the theater was the best place for the ride (a debateable idea) and said, "well, we can wait another year and get Pooh open later or we can get Pooh open earlier and hopefully draw people with the new ride in greater numbers than an older show."

And the Country Bears show did draw lots of people as it got closer to closing, I went to a show on the last day with JRob and Ralph Wiggum and it was packed.

Techie7
06-18-2002, 08:13 AM
I went to the last day too and agree that it was crowded. When I said that no extra people were drawn in I meant that no advertising targeted people with the idea that a classic attraction was closing. EandCDad your theory may be correct and sounds plausible enough for me.

stinkerbell
06-18-2002, 08:17 AM
And had I known it was closing I would have taken the kids to see it.........They'll live after not going, of course, but I still would have taken them. ;) Now I'll just take them to the movie and suffer in silence while they bop along to the music. There'd better be good music. But if the attraction was still open, I wouldn't go to the movie. I might not even rent it........:rolleyes:

Not Afraid
06-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
I went to the last day too and agree that it was crowded. When I said that no extra people were drawn in I meant that no advertising targeted people with the idea that a classic attraction was closing. EandCDad your theory may be correct and sounds plausible enough for me.

I was also there on the last day. The advertising consisted of a banner hung over the entrance announcing "Last Day" and a couple of characters from the show to greet and pose with. (Hmmmm, where is that picture???)

I agree with EandCdad's assessment of Disney's reasons for closing the DL show before the movie opens. I think he's right on the money there.

DisneyFreak2000
06-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Erm, maybe they closed the attraction because.....(drumroll) they wanted to put a new attraction in in it's place!

I mean, I doubt they purposely closed it because of the movie opening, or would close WDW becuse of the movie or would reopen it if the movie was sucessful. I think they really just wanted a Pooh ride.

I may be wrong though.

merlinjones
06-19-2002, 07:29 AM
This is all symbolic of the coming shift in megaconglomerates: breaking up!

Synergy doesn't really work when units of a corp are highly competitive entities - - with each other!

The Country Bear fiasco is a glaring example of how vertical integration - - with such multi tentacled, varied agenda'd, narcissistic, and over-schooled-in-common-business-affairs-logic octopi - - often does not result in even logical or explanable commercial moves.

Every time an article on the movie reads "based on the recently closed Disneyland attraction" - - they shoot themselves in the foot a little more. What great PR! And just wait until people start looking for the Jamboree at DL after the movie comes out!

I noticed they already started lying in some press that they closed the ride before they decided to make the movie - - which as well all know is complete poppycock.

corrinhorn
06-19-2002, 02:08 PM
I don't really feel like questioning Disney on this, because of me memories of the CBJ, but if you go to where it used to be...:crying: ...they have up signs advertising that the Country Bears are..."going on the road" clever but of Synergy on Disney's part, but it might confuse a few people into thinking that the show may be coming back...(Maybe it will. The MSEP came back and look at the crowds it brought into DCA...