PDA

View Full Version : Renting DVC points to friend for WDW trip. How?

ChuckC
05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
A friend who knows that I am a DVC member has asked if I would be willing to rent points to him and his wife for a wedding anniversary trip to WDW. I have no problems with the idea since I have sufficient points. However, I have never done this before and I am not too sure of how to proceed.

1) The date of his trip will fall within my own trip to the World. Could this be a problem when I make reservations for his trip?

2) (actually related to 1)) When I do make reservations do I make them in my name or do I tell Customer Relations that I am renting my points to X?

3) If I am able to get by 1) and 2), how do I value the rented points? Do I base it on what a vacation would cost at the particular resort? Or do I place a dollar amount on the number of points? I'm not looking to soak him but I don't want to just "give" the points to him.

GusMan
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
While I am not a member yet, this is how it was done when I rented points from someone... he gave me some good insight. However, it will yield to any other member who has more accurate info.

1) The date of his trip will fall within my own trip to the World. Could this be a problem when I make reservations for his trip?
---- I dont think this will be a problem since you are making ressies for someone else.

2) (actually related to 1)) When I do make reservations do I make them in my name or do I tell Customer Relations that I am renting my points to X?
---- You put the reservation in their name. You do not have to tell them that you are renting points or anything like that.

3) If I am able to get by 1) and 2), how do I value the rented points? Do I base it on what a vacation would cost at the particular resort? Or do I place a dollar amount on the number of points? I'm not looking to soak him but I don't want to just "give" the points to him.
---- From what I can tell on other boards, going rate is $10 - $12 per point rented, regardless of location or time. You can pretty much set your own costs, and Disney does not have to know how much you are charging and the like.

Hope that helps.

geoffa
05-15-2007, 01:02 PM
1. NO - You can make two reservations as long as you have enough points. Treat it as if they are extended family. You could have adjoining properties if you wanted this.
2. All reservations have to be made in your name initially and only YOU can alter dates, requests etc.Your friends names are given as your guests and NO you do NOt say you are renting your points! That is between you and your friends. You are technically profiting by "renting" the points. Read the small print in your purchase contract.

3. I suggest you see:
http://www.mouseowners.com/RentingPoints.html

- season and demand dictates how much a room per night is at WDW Your points get you your property at a cost which would be less than booking rooms direct but bare in mind your annual fees as well. As avery rough guide an averaged would be $10 per point so an average night would be between $100 and $180 for a studio - obviouslymore for a one bedroom and so on. As they are freinds you may want to do it for less.Don't want to be a pessimist but also bare in mind that you, as the DVC member, are responsible in law for any damages, liabilities that your guests may cause.

As a footnote- anyody thinking of renting points from advertisers on Ebay - BEWARE. You don't know these people so what proof do you have that they have the points or that they have made the resrvation despite any assurances or emails they might send you. DVC will only talk to the DVc member and will check with security questions that you are a member. Using Paypal will give some protection but do you reall want to turn up at your hotel only to find no reservation exists.

GusMan
05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
DVC will only talk to the DVc member and will check with security questions that you are a member.
That may not necessarily be true. When I rented points, I called to confirm the reservation and stated that I was the guest of a member. Gave them the conformation number and they verified everything. However, I was also not trying to change things or make requests or anything like that - just a simple conformation. From what I hear on other boards, "guests" trying to make changes or requests is strongly discouraged.

Drince88
05-15-2007, 02:05 PM
That may not necessarily be true. When I rented points, I called to confirm the reservation and stated that I was the guest of a member. Gave them the conformation number and they verified everything. However, I was also not trying to change things or make requests or anything like that - just a simple conformation. From what I hear on other boards, "guests" trying to make changes or requests is strongly discouraged.

Mark had something within the last couple of months that they were really cracking down on this and that even for a simple confirmation, they were asking for your member number first.

GusMan
05-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Mark had something within the last couple of months that they were really cracking down on this and that even for a simple confirmation, they were asking for your member number first.
Well, maybe I have to slightly correct myself now that I checked my notes... I had the member number of the person that I was renting from. That may have made the difference. Dunno - just a guess.

Member Services was very nice about the whole thing. Very impressive CSR.

Being that Chuck knows these people it will probably be a lot easier situation to set things up and confirm.

Drince88
05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, maybe I have to slightly correct myself now that I checked my notes... I had the member number of the person that I was renting from. That may have made the difference. Dunno - just a guess.

Member Services was very nice about the whole thing. Very impressive CSR.

Being that Chuck knows these people it will probably be a lot easier situation to set things up and confirm.

Oh, I rented just a year ago and did NOT give the member's number when I called to confirm and to arrange DME - non-members not calling is a fairly recent change. It's actually part of what made me decide not to rent points for my upcoming trip.

Oh, and the 'trust thing' (which is a HUGE part of a DVC rental!) is going to be so so so much easier for Chuck!

mulansgirl
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
For the point thing on another computer (that died) I did an excel spreadsheet to find out exactly how much each trip would cost by finding out the cost per point, I included annual fees. If my brain was working right now I could explain better. But it is possable to do and if done right (I made improvements a few times till I felt it was as good as possable) you can even include if you pay it off early since the intrest would go down and the price per point would then change.
If it is something you are interested in (for personal knowledge or rent out points), I found it facinating. I say just play with the excel program, it only took me about an hour to figure out the first "draft" then as I revisited it I made the improvements.
I have to find that hard drive it was a great "program". And I felt very accomplished since I really suck at math but I made that. good luck

geoffa
05-16-2007, 02:27 AM

As Drince88 confirmed they have altered polcy and will only now give out info, change things etc once they have confirmed you ARE the bona fide DVC member. The security questions are not always the obvious either like date of birth. DVC members' guests were ringing up, altering things and generally causing headaches so they have clamped down. There was a recent specific posting about this on the DVC members website.

This may be making the original post sound more complicated than it need be. Quite simply the DVC member does the bookings for his friends and organises any changes that might be needed.

The original poster also asked about thr cost differences between renting points and booking direct with Disney. I did a very rough check. We're going for 7 days in October and will have a one bedroom unit for 194 points.(2 adults - no kids). That equates roughly to $1940 plus an adjustment for annual dues. Booking direct with Disney for the exact same period for 2 adults would be £2433 and I bet it would be a studio unit!

ChuckC
05-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Thank you everyone! The answers to my questions are fantastic! I appreciate everyone's thinking that went into the responses.

These answers are an indication of the type of help and advice that can be found on this message board. Wonderful!:D