PDA

View Full Version : A.P Would you go to DCA if not for A.P

snappy
06-17-2002, 11:10 AM
Annual Passholders:
* Would you go to DCA if we weren't given the 2-park pass?
* How much time do you spend at DCA on any given day?
* Agree/Disagree: Do you ever escape to DCA when Disneyland is packed with people.
* Agree/Disagree: Would you say the % of people at DCA are Annual Passholders: 25% to 50% 50%-75% or 75%-100%
*Personal note: I enjoy DCA and all what little it offers, but if I were paying out $45.00/day I don't think I would be sharing the same happy thoughts. What do you say?

Disney Nick
06-17-2002, 11:21 AM
IF there wasn't a 2 park pass offered, I wouldn't go. But if the 2-park pass was an additional $100, I'd pay for it. There are really 2 questions here.

Well, for me it depends on what I plan to do that day. I'm not a local, so my trips are semi-planned. On an average day, I usually go to DCA from around 11-7 or so and am at Disneyland before and after that. Some days I spend all day at Disneyland, and some days I spend almost all day at DCA.

* Agree/Disagree: Do you ever escape to DCA when Disneyland is packed with people.
See my last post, that's exactly what I do ;).

Agree/Disagree: Would you say the % of people at DCA are Annual Passholders: 25% to 50% 50%-75% or 75%-100%
Depends on the day of the week. On Sundays, I'm sure it's pretty high up there, but none of us can say for sure. Anything we guess is purely speculation as Disney doesn't release these figures.

disneynut
06-17-2002, 11:29 AM
I actually enjoy DCA and when I compare it to somplace, say like Universal, I would much rather give my $45/day to DCA than to Universal. Having said this, prior to DCA being part of the AP we did go once and pay regular prices to get in and I was very disappointed. Not so much as to what DCA offered in general but what they offered to my children, which wasn't very much at that time. Now that they have turned the ap's into 2 park passes, we have had the chance to explore that park more thoroughly and have found things that the kids LOVE doing. So, in answer to your question...
1. Yes.
2. We have to travel to get down to DLR, so when we are there we spend a certain amount of days going to each park in a row. Now we usually try dividing our time (evenly, believe it or not) between the two parks. Sometimes DCA actually gets more of our business because it is less crowded. We are going for a week at the end of July and I can guarantee you my husband will not be thrilled with the crowds at DL so we will probably be spending a week at DCA...and yes we can find stuff that we enjoy doing there. I'm even looking forward to Flik's Faire opening because that will give my kids a whole nother section of the park that they can enjoy.
3. Agree...but I also escape there because I enjoy it.
4. I would think that DCA's attendance would be a slightly higher percentage in favor of AP's. I think very few of DCA's attendance would consist of people who actually paid the full $45 to get in. I would say that the rest would be conprised of people who are on hopper passes and are spending a certain length of time at the park and did not pay just specifically to get into DCA.

Ghoulish Delight
06-17-2002, 11:31 AM
I would have definitely paid once to go (and I did, $20 AP preview day ;)) Beyond that, it would have taken good discounts and a good reason (i.e., family members wanting to go, etc) to get me to go back with a 1-day pass. But, when I renewed my AP last year in July, back when it was extra for the 2-park, I paid the $60. $43 (the gate price at the time) was way too much for me to go for one day, but $60 for unlimited visits for a year, totally worth it.

The last bunch of times at the resort, I've spent at least half my time at DCA (and that's not even taking into account Mad Scramble). It's not really because I like it more, it's just because it's new. I don't know it as well, so it's nice to be able to spend the time learning a new park. I don't want to sound too jaded, but I've seen it all and done it all at Disneyland.

And yes, I admit it, I often hop over just because I need an occasional break from DL crowds. Traffic flow at DL is getting worse every day. I haven't been since Splash and Fantasmic! reopened (geez, has it been that long :eek:). I shudder at the thought of the crowds in that dead-end corner of the park with Splash, Fantasmic!, and Mansion at there most popular in about 5 years! It must be a nightmare.

Originally posted by NMoreles
Depends on the day of the week. On Sundays, I'm sure it's pretty high up there, but none of us can say for sure. Anything we guess is purely speculation as Disney doesn't release these figures.Actually, the highest percentages are on weekdays/evenings. The local APers are what keep the resort running on these slow days. According to Al's recent update, it's been reported that on the off days, it can be as high as 75% AP. On weekends is when the out-of-towners show. It's probably more like 40-50% AP then (but I'm totally guessing)

cstephens
06-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by snappy
Annual Passholders:

If the 2-park AP were not offered at all, I would visit DCA as a tourist, probably a few times a year, the same way I visited DL before I bought an AP.

Depends on the day, but on average, I probably spend more time at DCA than DL.

I don't "escape" to DCA. I go to DCA because I like it, and a lot of that is the newness factor. The fact that it's also not shoulder-to-shoulder people in little tiny crowded walkways is an added plus.

* Agree/Disagree: Would you say the % of people at DCA are Annual Passholders: 25% to 50% 50%-75% or 75%-100%

As I have absolutely no access to that type of information, it would be ludicrous for me to even attempt a guess. I expect the percentage would also depend on the specific month, the specific day of the week, and the specific time of day. Whatever the percentage is, it's not a constant that stays true at all times.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Up until The Parade was brought in to boost the gate, I'd only been to the passholder soft-open. Up until then, I did not upgrade to 2-park, and hadn't any immediate plans to do so. I'd planned on perhaps visiting DCA once a year (or every other year) at full-price, or more often if discounted, but saw no reason to go more often until the park matured a bit.

The Parade came to DCA, with the first performance scheduled for my pass's expiration date. I upgraded when I renewed. Then I found the time to ride Soarin'. Then I dined at SOB. Then Blast replaced "Waste of Time."

Slowly, but systematically, the bugs are being ironed out.

Would I go to DCA if I didn't have my pass? Yes.

Would I go to DCA as often as DL if I didn't have my pass? Yes, but then again, without my pass, I wouldn't be going to DL as often.

Would I go to DCA even if my pass were DL-only? Yes; just not as often.

merlinjones
06-17-2002, 02:38 PM

Never (except upon the opening of a big new attraction).

I'm proud to say that I have never once paid a dime for DCA admission! I got in free for employee previews, was the guest of a Silver Pass holder months later and then got the free add on to my Disneyland PAP.

Maybe an hour or so at most (since the last time I went with someone who hadn't been there yet - - and so spent more time)... I'm already bored with it (even the things I liked), and it does not appeal to me aesthetically as a place to just hang out (like Disneyland does). There are few good people watching or "view" spots at DCA. I do, however, occaisionally want to ride the swings (reminds me of the county fair back home) or do Soarin' - - but only if there are no lines.

Once I went over there to get a snack, because the fast food lines were so long at Disneyland. But I ended up stuck in a short-lined but way understaffed outlet, so it took forever anyway... and then there was no attractive view to enjoy while I ate my food. I felt bad that I voted with my cash to eat at DCA and won't do it again. I'd rather soak up the Rivers of America view with my burger (and wait for it).

* Agree/Disagree: Would you say the % of people at DCA are Annual Passholders: 25% to 50% 50%-75% or
75%-100%

I don't pay that much attention to labelling people.

mad4mky
06-17-2002, 02:44 PM
After my husband paid the first time...no (it was a Christmas gift ...to stay at The Grand Californian and go to DCA two weeks after opening).

I had read nothing about the park...so we went in as babies. We were so disappointed...

We went down again in May...and the only reason we went in was because our 3 girls had not seen it. Were they disappointed...big time.

We wouldn't have gone again had it not been that the past December was the first time we bought AP's...and the park was only $10.00. So twice I have paid full price to get in...and it was a waste to me. Even my hubby who is not a Disney fanatic like me was disappointed.

How much do I spend in there? As little as possible. The only place we have eaten has been McDonald's...and Carmel Corn. How much time do I spend there...maybe 3 hours out of a 3 or 4 day stay down at DLR.
I think 50% are AP'ers...maybe 60%. The rest are out of towners who are duped.

I wouldn't go back except...it is nice to get away from the crowds. None of the rides...sorry folks Soaring and Screaming do get dull...keep me running towards the gates.:(

Lani
06-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
IF there wasn't a 2 park pass offered, I wouldn't go. But if the 2-park pass was an additional $100, I'd pay for it. There are really 2 questions here.Did you used to have a $299 premium 2-park AP? I ask because that's what the price was last year -- it was $100 more for the two-park pass, and it's what Alex and I got instead of the $199 DL AP.

zedizdead
06-17-2002, 03:55 PM
I would have to say NO on that one. I would go every once in awhile but there would have to be some kind of discount going on. I would NEVER pay 40 something bucks. I LIKE the park but I don't think it is worth the price of admission. BUT since the PAP does offer dca, I go.

Depends on my mood. Last time I spend about 5 hours there. Got there at 4, stayed till close.

Sometimes I do.

We took my mother last week and she didn't know anything about the place. She paid the so cal rate of 30something, and she REALLY liked DCA. She especially enjoyed Sorin, and kicking back drinking a glass of wine. I asked her what she liked the most and she said, "No Crowds!!" :)

However she did not think it was worth the 30something it costs to get in.

innerSpaceman
06-17-2002, 04:25 PM
If DCA were not part of my AP, I would go, lemme see now, NEVER.

As it is, I go only to escape the crowds at Disneyland, and for good french fries at Award Weiners. I can no longer stand to sit through either Muppet Vision or Tough to Be a Bug (both of which I rather like, but enough's enough). And both Screamin' and Soarin' are getting really tired. Basically I now go to DCA for the same reason I used to (sniff, sniff) go to the way back under Hungry Bear. I used to be able to escape the crowds to someplace magical and beautiful and glorious. Now I can just escape the crowds.

If I go to DCA, I spend about as much time there as I would spend in any single "land" over at the mother-park - about an hour max. (that's about all I can stand).

Comparing the size of DCA crowds nowadays to my memory of the crowds before APs were given free upgrade to both parks, I'd say the mix of AP vs. Non-AP at DCA is about 50/50.

cemeinke
06-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Annual Passholders:

A qualified yes, I would - but I would only go if I could get some sort of discount. That's how did it the 1st time we went. As to how often, maybe twice a year - Once during the regular season and once for the Holidays'

Couple hours maybe? Usually it's there to eat, have some ice cream, or ride a particular attraction

Disagree, when Disneyland is packed I usually spend less time waiting for an attraction and spend more time enjoying the atmosphere or people watch.

When I go through the gates I usually see people with APs, so I guess it's in the high range - then again as an AP, I seldom go to the park early, when you'd expect to see the day trippers.

JeffG
06-17-2002, 04:52 PM

Yes I would, although obviously not nearly as often. I'm guessing I would likely go a couple times a year, possibly more if there were good discounts available. Even at full price, I'd likely go at least once a year.

It completely varies. How much time I spend at either park can depend wildly on my moods and those of the people I am with. Sometimes it can be specifically dictated by specific things that I want to see or do, particularly if there is something new.

There have been days when I have been at the resort and only visited one park or the other, days when I have spent a short time in one park and much longer in the other, and days when my time in the two parks has been pretty evenly divided. I have also made a number of visits where the bulk of my time was spent at the hotels or in Downtown Disney.

I will say that on my first two visits to DCA I spent over 12 hours in the park each time.

Agree/Disagree: Do you ever escape to DCA when Disneyland is packed with people.

I can't really recall that often (if ever) being a major deciding factor on which park to visit. If I'm specifically trying to get away from the crowds, I know of fairly uncrowded locations at either park as well as a number of good places in the resort but outside the parks for escaping from crowds.

I have absolutely no reliable knowledge of Disney's demographic data and wouldn't even wager a guess on this.

-Jeff

PineapplePrincess
06-17-2002, 05:23 PM
[B]Annual Passholders:

Probably not.

With BLAST...well Blast just really gets us there. So we might go and get a FP for Splash, go to Blast, then go back to DL...we park hop a lot.

Last time we went DL was PACKED so we went to DCA and went to Blast 3 times. We might go to DCA to excape crowds once Blast leaves but we will see when the time comes.

? Who knows?

*Personal note: I enjoy DCA and all what little it offers, but if I were paying out $45.00/day I don't think I would be sharing the same happy thoughts. What do you say?

While DCA has grown on us it just doesn't have the same overall charm of DL, even with Tomorrowland not being up to par. GP area is nice, and there is potential. But my expectation was DL, and it could become better as it ages. I was upset the first time I went because I paid full price and had very high expectations. We were done with the park early in the day, we went and complained, and we weren't the only ones.

Morrigoon
06-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Annual Passholders:

Only if a kindly CM signed me in. I have never, to date, paid full price for DCA admission (unless you count them adding DCA to the current AP prices). If it were separate passes again, I'd go back to my 1-park AP

Long enough to see Blast & MSEP, ride Grizzly and maybe 45 min in the Animation building

It has happened, yes. In fact that's the primary motivation for going to DCA

NO idea.

See answer to #1.

Comments:
DCA is a nice $25 park. At that price I might visit it every other year or annually if I'm feeling a little weighed down by my money (ha ha ha). Beyond that, I see little difference between DCA and, say, Irvine Spectrum... except that Irvine Spectrum has better dining options.

I still think they should go for the Disney's America conversion.

AliKzam
06-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
The Parade came to DCA, with the first performance scheduled for my pass's expiration date. I upgraded when I renewed. Then I found the time to ride Soarin'. Then I dined at SOB. Then Blast replaced "Waste of Time."

(Doing my best Beavis and Butthead): "Heh-heh. He said SOB. Heh-heh-heh."

Sorry... what? Oh, I don't have an AP. Back in the days when I was a real little Kzam, we had Silver Passes.

blusilva
06-18-2002, 12:04 AM
Annual Passholders:

Absolutely not. And if given my druthers, I'd have renewed with a 1-Park Disneyland only pass.

An hour or two, max.

Yes. In fact, I just did it last Friday night, because of the group I was with. Disneyland was packed. We walked right on to It's Tough To Be A Bug and MuppetVision 3-D over at DCA.

I have no way of knowing that.

I wouldn't pay full price more than once to see DCA - and I never have. I've seen the movies, I've ridden the coaster, I've eaten at two of the three "upscale" restaurants. The Animation Building is my favorite thing in the park, and about the only thing I'd pay to see more than once, but it certainly doesn't justify a full admission.

hawaiimouse
06-18-2002, 02:06 AM

[/B][/QUOTE]

Probably not...don't think it's a $45/day park. I've only gone with my park hopper passes and then with my AP. Since going to Millionaire was my top priority, maybe I'd pay the $45 to go see it once (or twice in a day..I'm hooked!), but not pay that again.

Spent half a day and a full day there since that was the first time that I was there. And coming from Hawaii, I was going to get my $$ worth. ;)

Agree/Disagree: Do you ever escape to DCA when Disneyland is packed with people.

Not yet since DL was pretty empty when I was there. Tho' if it was totally packed, I probably would go to get some elbow room.

Agree/Disagree: Would you say the % of people at DCA are Annual Passholders: 25% to 50% 50%-75% or 75%-100%
Not a clue...:confused:

Probably true...tho' getting in the hot seat and being able to see Blast might make me think about it. :) However, if Millionaire is going and so is Blast! by the time I get back, don't think it would be worth it.

Thanks! :D