PDA

View Full Version : Hotel standards in pricing/amenities...

bigrockstar
05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
:confused:

Is it just me, or have the prices of various hotels in the Anaheim resort area (not including the official DL hotels) been higher recently? Even considering the effects of inflation, it seems that the value of area hotels has dropped significantly over the past couple of years.

When one could have stayed in a clean room, during peak season, with a free breakfast, next to the park for $50.00 per night including tax two years ago, now it seems that the price has climbed to $80-90.00 per night for the SAME ROOM! I am not thinking of any particular hotel. I am constantly online trying to secure incredible bargains, and finding less of them as time passes.

I am not even interested in what people see as the "best deals." I am much more interested in the lowest price, distance to the park, and the amenities. As a 25-year-old single elementary-school teacher, I am financially responsible for my (and my little brother's) entire trip, so I don't have spousal income to help off-set the cost. It seems like all of the "inexpensive" rooms I have stayed in during the last two years have been very run-down, dirty and neglected. The "continental breakfasts" included with many rooms are aweful, limited and/or very basic (stale pastries and coffee or Tang). I have even stayed in rooms from national chains which claim to have some form of standards. My belief is that any form of "standards" the hotels in the resort area may have had two years ago are now officially nullified.

What hope is there, then, for a single elementary-school teacher with a limited budget for finding a room, which is not covered in dirt, for about $75.00 or less per night (incl. tax) this coming season? Plese reply if you have had a positive experience at a nearby hotel in this price bracket, or if you have suggestions for pinching pennies when it comes to lodging (I am already saving a ton of money by eating away from the park, bringing snacks, etc.).

Thanks for reading! :cool:

CariBelle
05-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I've been staying at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel pretty much every trip for the past 3 years. It's clean, close (a block and ahalf from the crosswalk entarnce), and runs about $60 a night. Although I'm not sure how much the rate is for the peak season since we tend to avoid it. No free breakfast but we aren't big breaskfast people so we just eat granola bars and such unless we plan to eat in the park. The room is spacious and the grounds are well kept. Definatly a place to check in to!

CariBelle
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I just picked a random Thursday in June for a test drive and the room is $85 a night. Maybe your right, but that's another reason I avoid peak seasons lol

Malcon10t
05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
What hope is there, then, for a single elementary-school teacher with a limited budget for finding a room, which is not covered in dirt, for about $75.00 or less per night (incl. tax) this coming season? Plese reply if you have had a positive experience at a nearby hotel in this price bracket, or if you have suggestions for pinching pennies when it comes to lodging (I am already saving a ton of money by eating away from the park, bringing snacks, etc.).

Thanks for reading! :cool:
Have you considered Priceline.com? Many have had very positive experiences and using a 3* rating, most get either the DOubletree or teh Hyatt. They aren't at the crosswalk, but they are on the ART route and people have been posting about paying $35-45 a night.

Gilesmt
05-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Okay I have giving this advice a few times in the last few days. Since you are a school teacher that is a government job. So if you look in advance and I would say since you want peak season you need to look three months in advance, go to the residence inn web page and click on the gov. rate. The rooms are big and clean, they have a living and kitchen. They offer a large cooked breakfast with meat, eggs, waffles and other things, and they offer burgers, hot dogs and burritos Mon-Thurs. There are two near DL, one on Clementine and one on Harbor Blvd. Maingate is my favorite because it is closer and I find friendlier, but the Resort one a mile away is great also. Just make sure you ask for a lower floor, since some idiot built only two small elevators in the lobby! Oh did I say that.

I have a much larger party of 4 and a baby, and I booked two months ago with the Residence Inn Resort. We got a Kid Suite, one room with Bunkbeds, another room with a King bed, a living room with a pull out sofa, a kitchen and two bathrooms, with breakfast for all and managers special during the week, all for $129 a night.

I figure if I feed 5 for breakfast and 5 for dinner I would spend at least $50 if not more. So I figure the room only cost me when I subtract that only $80. When I figure in that I have my own kitchen for snacks and soda that just saved me another $15 or so. Now I am down to $65 for the room. When I figure all the room and all the beds and the two bathrooms. I just don't think I could find anything cheaper. And Marriot has rewards and is on the higher end of hotels. With my rewards and the fact that I have there credit card, I figure I get a free week trip every 5 years on top of that price.

For those who have not seen me report these anywhere else. The gov. rate states for federal, state, county or municiple employees. In the 5 or so years I have been using Residence Inn they have never asked me for ID ever. So why not use the gov. rate, even if you are not.

For anyone who wants a little more, they have at least a pool and spa, laundry, maid service everyday if you want it, free grocery shopping for you, free parking and many other things. At the resort one being new it has a large kids area for movies, games and activities. I will let you know if they have planned activities since we are going during a busier season now.

I hope that helps you. Sometimes you have to subtract from your price what a breakfast would cost in time or money. At Residence Inn the breakfast and manager hours are big great food, and all you can eat of it.

Malcon10t
05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Homewood Suites has a government rate for $104 for a suite. Also has hot meals and kitchen. I'm booking it for our stay in Oct.

SeansMom
05-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I've found the same challenges, and I think as travel has increased, so have motel/hotel prices. If I win the lottery I'll share with you. In the meantime: Check out expedia for motels you think you'd like, then try that motels website for a better rate. Priceline is great if you don't mind where you land. The Best Westerns in the Anaheim area seem to have the best prices, but I've never stayed in one so I can't really say what they're like.
Also, if you're a light breakfast eater it might be better to not focus on the breakfast and instead purchase your own yogurt, pastry, or such and just use the in room fridge. Good Luck!

Mark Mywords
05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Priceline is great if you don't mind where you land.

Actually, that's the cool thing about priceline when bidding on hotels in the Dland area. It's actually pretty predictable (as long as you bid on 3 star hotels). Check out www.biddingfortravel.com before you bid to see what people are getting and for how much.

Generally, If you select 3 stars, you pretty much are going to end up at one of 3 really nice hotels, and usually for about $50 a night. My fav (which comes up quite a lot) is the Hyatt.

Good luck!

bigrockstar
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
That's awesome! I never knew such a site existed... this may make it much easier to get a nice room for a low price! Thank you for spreading the news!

Malcon10t
05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Actually, that's the cool thing about priceline when bidding on hotels in the Dland area. It's actually pretty predictable (as long as you bid on 3 star hotels). Check out www.biddingfortravel.com before you bid to see what people are getting and for how much.

Generally, If you select 3 stars, you pretty much are going to end up at one of 3 really nice hotels, and usually for about $50 a night. My fav (which comes up quite a lot) is the Hyatt.

Good luck!
I've used it for certain trips, but never for Disneyland (yet.) When you get the Hyatt, how often have you (if you needed) been able to get 2 bed rooms? I know they only guarantee single bed rooms.

bloodnswash
05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
If you book and pay in advance you can get a room at the Holiday Inn on South Walnut for about $72 a night. I have stayed here many times and have been happy with the place. :)

DisneyWaldo
05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
As far as prices go Hotels base them on availability (among many other factor). Looking at some of the Hotels availability calendars for the summer months the best time to go would be the Last week of July or the Last week of August. I would not recommend going through the Hotels directly though due to the fact that they will charge you the RACK rate. I like the some of the others would recommend using priceline, and bid for a 3 or 4 star hotel. I herd many people getting the Hilton for around $75 using price line and the Hampton Inn for around $60. If you had a specific time frame I could give you a better idea of what to expect. :geek:

Malcon10t
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
As far as prices go Hotels base them on availability (among many other factor). Looking at some of the Hotels availability calendars for the summer months the best time to go would be the Last week of July or the Last week of August. I would not recommend going through the Hotels directly though due to the fact that they will charge you the RACK rate. I like the some of the others would recommend using priceline, and bid for a 3 or 4 star hotel. I herd many people getting the Hilton for around $75 using price line and the Hampton Inn for around $60. If you had a specific time frame I could give you a better idea of what to expect. :geek:I will disagree with this post somewhat. I get better prices by calling the hotels directly and seeing what they have that I may get a discount on. An example, Hojos gives both Entertainment and AP discounts. Most hotels in the area give AAA discounts. I'm cautious about Priceline for Disneyland as they only guarantee 1 bed. I routinely get the Hilton for $79 a night, I would expect Priceline to get it for me under $50. I am booked into Residence Inn 2 bedroom suite for only $119 a night at Christmas (normally $200 night.) Ask for every discount you know of. For the OP, if you are teaching in Public Schools, you are a government employee and eligible for discounts. Look all around you, find the best one.

WITron
05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I will disagree with this post somewhat. I get better prices by calling the hotels directly and seeing what they have that I may get a discount on. An example, Hojos gives both Entertainment and AP discounts. Most hotels in the area give AAA discounts. I'm cautious about Priceline for Disneyland as they only guarantee 1 bed. I routinely get the Hilton for $79 a night, I would expect Priceline to get it for me under $50. I am booked into Residence Inn 2 bedroom suite for only $119 a night at Christmas (normally $200 night.) Ask for every discount you know of. For the OP, if you are teaching in Public Schools, you are a government employee and eligible for discounts. Look all around you, find the best one.

Also check out mousesavers.com (http://www.mousesavers.com). You can sign up for their email, and the website has some good tips on getting decent rates.

Shadowcat
05-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I too have found the best prices dealing with the hotels directly (at least for the ones we've stayed at). I look at their web sites, then I go into my Entertainment Book and following the instructions to get a really good rate.

I cannot stress enough the plus of having an Entertainment Book!