PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Disneyland - Questions

oregonn8v
05-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Hello to everyone:

I have been browsing your forum for quite a while, but I decided to jump in and see if I can get a few questions answered.

Though my family has a lot of Disneyland experience, this will be the first time we have driven to Southern California for our vacation. We will be staying with some relatives in Villa Park and driving ourselves to DL each day and I have questions about parking or other tricks of the trade.

Our idea was that I would drop my wife and daughters off at the guest drop off/turn out on Harbor and then my son and I would swing around the corner to the Timon Parking Lot. I should say that we plan on being to the park about 30-45 minutes before the gates open.

Now I believe that I read on this board that the Timon Parking Lot is only open once the Mickey & Friends Lot is filled. Is this correct? If so, will I be able to get a decent parking spot at M&F?

Where are good spots to park in M&F? What level/what area/etc.? Same questions for Timon (if we can get in).

I don't know if it makes any difference, but we will be arriving in Anaheim on May 26th, and going to the park on Sun, May 27 - Wed, May 30.

I will thank you all in advance for what is sure to be, very sage advice.

Eric

SoCalSteven
05-14-2007, 07:06 AM
You don't really get a choice where you park in the parking structure. Plan to walk quite a ways.

MagicKingdomBoy
05-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I don't know about the Timon lot being strictly for M&F overflow, but if you're getting there that early, you won't have a problem. If you enter through the main Harbor Blvd. entrance, then if Timon is open, you will be directed there. If they route you across to the M&F lot, you will park there and just take the tram. But at that hour, the lot should not be crowded at all. The entire lot is coned and the parking is directed; so you pretty much have to follow the car ahead of you and park next to it. It really isn't that long of a walk to the escalators down to the tram.

Andrew
05-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Where are good spots to park in M&F? What level/what area/etc.? Same questions for Timon (if we can get in).

You don't really get a choice where you park in the parking structure. Plan to walk quite a ways.

This is essentially correct, however there are a couple of things you can do to get yourself the best available space in the structure:

As you drive into the toll booth lines, stay as much to the right as possible. Go through the rightmost open line.
As you head up the ramp, stay in the right lane and try to get a view ahead where the lanes turn. If the two lanes enter the same level, stay to the right. If the left lane goes up one level higher than the right, merge left.

These steps will ensure you the best possible space in the structure, given the parking procedures operating at that particular time.

oregonn8v
05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Andrew...Thanks for the tips. I will try your theory and let everyone know how it works out.

Eric

Bytebear
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
If you are in Villa Park, I would say just take Taft Ave (which becomes Ball Road) (no freeways) and you will see signs for the Mickey and Friends Parking lot just past Harbor.

Darkbeer
05-14-2007, 10:55 AM
The Timon entrance off Harbor Blvd (crossroad is Disney Way) is close to the main drop-off on Harbor, but in my opinion the worst choice.

You line up and pay the toll (currently $11 for cars) or show your parking pass. Then you will be directed to one of three parking lots. On very busy days, they will send folks to Simba, in which you are sent down a road behind California Adventure and across Disneyland Drive, and you park behind the Paradise Pier Hotel, and then walk about a mile with no tram service offered.

The second choice is the Timon Lot (next to the Tower of Terror building), which tends to only be open or busy days, after Simba is full, if they expect very large crowds. If you get directed to Timon, count your blessing, you can park near the Trams, and it is convenient. But the lot is not that big, and more than likely will be getting smaller in the future as they need the space to help add attractions to California Adventure. Timon is also closed on certain days due to special events, such as the POTC3 premiere this Saturday.

Most folks who enter the Harbor Blvd entrance currently are handed a receipt and a printed slip that tells you how to get to a back entrance to the Parking Structure. This is basically the same road as going to Simba, but making a right onto Disneyland Drive to Magic Way, where you make a left to the parking entrance. This entrance is also used by others, so they have another set of Parking Toll Booths, where you will show your receipt to be allowed in.

Now depending on the day, you can get lucky with very little wait (usually later in the day), or the average 10 to 20 minute wait in the mornings, or on very busy days, I have seen the cars backed up to the freeway entrance to access the main entrance to the Parking Structure (that is over a 40 minute wait just to pay or show your pass).

You are sent to a parking level using a ramp, and then you get to find out where you are told to park, you are directed to a space, you don't get a choice. And we are talking about one of the largest parking structures in the world. And the way the structure is designed, there is only one pedestrian entrance/exit, on the south-east corner. So if you are told to park in the North-West corner, you can have a walk that is over a 1/4 mile just to get out of the structure. Once you finally park, and unload the family, you join the other families and the strollers to the escalators to the tram loading area. The strollers have to go to 1 of just 2 elevators, as they are not allowed to take kids sitting in strollers on the escalators, which creates long lines at the elevator, which can get nasty if they are parking two levels at the same time. The elevator fills up at the first stop, and then goes to the other level, where folks are stuck, as they elevator is always full. So they start to hit the "up" button, and fill up the elevators to get on, which upsets the folks at the other level, who want to board, but the elevator is full.

Then there is the Tram loading area itself, I parked at the structure twice this weekend, and both times ended up walking due to the long waits for trams (and the walk is about 1/2 mile, the same distance as the Paradise Pier, HoJo's or CCI). The trams hold 5 person per row, and people tend to try and cut in many cases to get their entire group on the same tram. Also, ALL children have to be removed from strollers, and folded up, with the exception of a few spaces in the front and back of the tram, where you can leave the stroller unfolded, but the child MUST be removed. The front area is usually already filled up with folks in wheelchairs (which load in a separate area). So if you want to keep your stroller unfolded, go to the BACK of the tram, as that space is used only for strollers.

You take the tram, and then unload near the World of Disney store, and then get in line to go thru Security and enter the Main Entrance Plaza.

But what I would do is make a LEFT on Disney Way, and then look to the left and see if the Pummba Parking Lot is open. If it is, make a U-turn at the next light and park there. Usually a short wait at the Toll booths, and quick and easy parking. There is no tram, but it is a short walk to the park.

If not, then make a right on Clementine, and then another right on Katella. Take Katella to Disneyland Drive (the corner where the DCA Coaster is located) and make a right. Then make a left on Magic Way and follow the signs to the Parking Structure entrance.

oregonn8v
05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Is that better than going to Villa Park Rd (which turns into Katella) and just taking Katella all the way in? They are north of Taft so if that is faster I will use it.

Eric

Darkbeer
05-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Is that better than going to Villa Park Rd (which turns into Katella) and just taking Katella all the way in? They are north of Taft so if that is faster I will use it.

Eric

Just take Katella to Harbor, and then go North on Harbor to the U-turn next to the Howard Johnson's and MiMi's. You have to be going south on Harbor to access the 15 minute lot and drop-off area. You can only exit the lot by going south on Katella.

My directions are for after you drop off your family.

It is what I do frequently, once you exit the 15 minute lot, get into the left lane and make the left at the next light (Disney Way), then check out the left side of the street, if there are cones and police officers directing traffic into Pummba, then make the u-turn to enter the lot, otherwise make a right to get back to Katella and head to the parking structure.

kiki
05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
The best place to park is right outside the M&F parking structure. If you drive like you are going to the DLH, stay in the right lane and park in the parking lot across from the hotel. This will save you time finding a spot in the structure and you would be right at the tram stop. But get there early because the lot fills up fast.

whiles
05-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I prefer the Mickey and Friends lot over the Timon lot solely because most of the parking is covered, the Tram is super easy and quick at mickey and friends.

A tip or trick would be to park where directed to do so. if you are too far back in the row Simply wait 5 - 7 minutes until all the spaces in row row are filled and then back out of your space and move forward. It has been my experience the people skip spaces towards the front and there is always room to move you car forwards after the parking in one row is blocked off.

Good luck and have a great trip

whiles;)

oregonn8v
05-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Some excellent advice! I have a couple of folow up questions...

Darkbeer: If I am understanding correctly, the lot you recommend (Pumbaa) is actually east of Harbor but very close to the main entrance so is a good spot with a short walk.

kiki: The lot you recommend (across from DLH) sounds ideal but what are the chances? If I am at that lot 45 minutes before the park opens is that early enough ot should I give myself an hour or more?

I not stressed about the parking but I always like to take advantage of the little hints others are willing to share.

Thank you again,

Eric

adriennek
05-15-2007, 07:09 AM
kiki: The lot you recommend (across from DLH) sounds ideal but what are the chances? If I am at that lot 45 minutes before the park opens is that early enough ot should I give myself an hour or more?

The side entrance is not a guarantee that they'll park you outside in the Pinocchio lot. The past few times I've been at M&F, they've been routing the side entrance traffic into the parking structure and up the ramps the same as the cars coming into the main entrance.

Adrienne

VickiC
05-15-2007, 07:28 AM
I really see no need to drop your family off if you plan to get there 45 minutes early. Just stay togeher, go down Taft/Ball (realize that Taft doesn't cross Tustin, you have to turn on Tustin then go down to where it starts up again) and park at Mickey and Friends. This is what I do everytime I go to the park and it is not that much of a hassle, especially if you get there early.

rose7116
05-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey, since we're on the subject of parking.....

This is the first time that my in-laws are coming with us and they have handicapped plates. Where do we park and how do we get there? :-)

adriennek
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey, since we're on the subject of parking.....

This is the first time that my in-laws are coming with us and they have handicapped plates. Where do we park and how do we get there? :-)

You still park in Mickey & Friends.

Point out the plates to the person at the booth and they'll give you a special card on your windshield. The attendants will direct you to the HCA parking spots.

Adrienne

Bytebear
05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
You still park in Mickey & Friends.

Point out the plates to the person at the booth and they'll give you a special card on your windshield. The attendants will direct you to the HCA parking spots.

Adrienne

Each parking level has its own handicapped area right near the elevators (except the bottom level). We once parked on the bottom level and had to walk all the way around to get to the tram area - not so convenient.

jdee
05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I find it easiest to get to the M&F parking structure from I-5 to take Harbor Blvd exit, turn right onto Harbor from the off ramp, then left on Ball and follow the signs to the parking structure.

Darkbeer
05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
I find it easiest to get to the M&F parking structure from I-5 to take Harbor Blvd exit, turn right onto Harbor from the off ramp, then left on Ball and follow the signs to the parking structure.

That is the best way if you are travelling NORTH bound on the I-5, from San Diego.

If you are going Southbound from the LA area, then you take Disneyland Drive from the I-5, and if it is open, the overpass that takes you over Ball Road.