PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other places in CA that aren't as old and run down as Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

floundr
05-13-2007, 03:29 PM
I just got back from my first trip to Disneyland and couldn't believe how old and run down the place is. I don't know why anyone would go to this place.

Are there any other theme parks in the Southwest that weren't built in the 1930's?

I also tried the Bengal bbq place that people said was good, but i've had better Happy Meals at McDonalds than the food at this place.

Darkbeer
05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
I just got back from my first trip to Disneyland and couldn't believe how old and run down the place is. I don't know why anyone would go to this place.

Are there any other theme parks in the Southwest that weren't built in the 1930's?

LEGOLAND is the newest Theme park in Southern California.

Almost all of the Universal Studios Hollywood has been built in the last 20 years, the oldest remaining part, the Wild West Stage has been closed, everything else has been built as a replacement for the theme park area. Of course, when on the tram tour you will past older areas.

cstephens
05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, Disneyland wasn't built in the 30s but rather, the 50s, but in any case, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip.

Not everyone likes Disneyland, and obviously, you're one of those where it's not the place for you. I hope you find an amusement park more to your liking, and when you do, I'd be curious to hear about it to hear what kind of place better suits your tastes.

Since I don't know your situation, I'm wondering what prompted you to make your first visit to Disneyland.

minniemom
05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Seriously???? I was wondering if you would give examples as to what made you think this. One reason I actually love Disneyland is how clean and well maintained it is. I am curious what made you feel this way.

santoanderson
05-13-2007, 04:18 PM
This sounds a little fanboyish and fishy. Must be a plant for Universal Studios. ;)

Sorry it wasn't as fun as you imagined, but Disneyland is far from run down in my opinion. I live close to a park named Lagoon. THAT is old and run down. At least DL repaints the shingles.

backsthepack
05-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Seems like a "troll alert" is in order with this thread!

tod
05-13-2007, 05:07 PM

I also tried the Bengal bbq place that people said was good, but i've had better Happy Meals at McDonalds than the food at this place.

Sorry you didn't like your trip to Disneyland.

If you find a place you like better, I'd like to hear about it.

I've found the employees at Knott's are very friendly and there are a lot of interesting things to see and do at Universal. Sea World in San Diego is clean and bright, and you and your family can actually learn something, including a thing ot two about beer at their tasting pavillion if you are of age and have an interest. Warner Bros. Studio Tours has a tour that is less theme-parky than Universal, and I hear Paramount has one too.

--t

june1st1997
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry you were unable to enjoy the park.

"Have a magical day".

Malcon10t
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM

I also tried the Bengal bbq place that people said was good, but i've had better Happy Meals at McDonalds than the food at this place.Sorry you didn't enjoy. We love the park. Why don't you tell us about your favorite park?

barely
05-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Went to DL last September after thirteen or so years, and it was so magical and beautiful we're going back this September. Sorry you were disappointed.

SteveK
05-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Sorry, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find people that feel the way you do, at least about the "run down" state of the park. In fact, I've been going to the park for 35 years and while it's not pristine, It's been in the best shape in years over the past 3 or so years.

Sometimes I think people make these statements just to stir the pot on these (and other) boards...aka trolling the boards.
-Steve

bloodnswash
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Sorry, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find people that feel the way you do, at least about the "run down" state of the park. In fact, I've been going to the park for 35 years and while it's not pristine, It's been in the best shape in years over the past 3 or so years.

Sometimes I think people make these statements just to stir the pot on these (and other) boards...aka trolling the boards.
-Steve

I have to agree with you :)

sandiegorob
05-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Seems like a "troll alert" is in order with this thread!

Agreed. Please don't feed the troll. This should be the last post!

floundr
05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Sorry that I offended so many close-minded people. I'm not sure what a troll is but I don't spend much time under bridges quizzing people with riddles. I have always heard that Disneyland is tantamount to experiencing some genuine Americana and I guess I had expectations of newness and cleanliness that could not be met.

I guess I should have lied and put up some rosey post about how much I love everything about Disneyland. Or better yet, I should have put nothing, said nothing, kept my opinions to myself. You Americans brag about your freedom of speech (and freedoms in general) yet you are so quick to limit it (e.g. the post by the person who was subject to an illegal search while near the park - yes, Pisces, illegal, you can't apply law dealing with traffic stops to brief street encounters that allow law enforcement to pat down only).

Anyway, sorry to be a pesky blip on your boards. I guess I will go find a bridge to explore my new designation. Peace.

Malcon10t
05-13-2007, 08:36 PM
So what park do you enjoy that meets your expectations?

Another Dimension
05-13-2007, 08:48 PM

If you were actually disturbed by post-50th Disneyland, you would have probably needed some group sessions after visiting pre-50th DL. :rolleyes:

Are there any other theme parks in the Southwest that weren't built in the 1930's

Almost all of them weren't built in the 30's..

How cool is that?

What do you have against Depression-era amusement parks, and/or those many many other parks that came after the 1930's anyway?

Did you buy any souvenirs, that possibly came with many seperate items, that you really want to share with all of us, since you didn't have a good time?

Answer these questions 3, and you may pass! :~D

disney jones
05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
.....experiencing some genuine Americana and I guess I had expectations of newness and cleanliness....:confused: :confused:

LOL! maybe you have mistaken us for another country???

Malcon10t
05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
I guess I had expectations of newness and cleanliness that could not be met.Not sure what was wrong during your visit. When I visit, and we are sitting and people watch, one game we will on occasion play is "Time the sweepers". See how long it takes from the time someone drops something on the ground to when a sweeper comes by and has it swept. The longest we have recorded was just over 2 minutes. The greatest thing I ever saw... An adult left a popcorn box on a planter (there was a trashcan 5 feet away) and a teen boy walking by picked it up and pt it in the trash. I thought that was cool. After fireworks, we usually hang out in front of the castle while the crowd clears. It always amazes me how fast the sweepers can clean up after everyone just leaves their trash in the hub. 10 mins later, youd never know there had been a mess there.

santoanderson
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
It's common knowledge that the park is almost 60 years old. Did you honestly expect EVERYTHING to be new?

The old man
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Strange first post. He was amazed by how old it is. Apparently they need to tear down all amusement parks every 10 years or so. That will keep them fairly new.

WDW heart
05-13-2007, 09:40 PM
If you really want to see run down and filthy, try a Six Flags park or a Paramount park. Last time we went to Kings Dominion, it was disgusting through and through. The hotel linked to it was horrendous. Bathroom in the room didn't work. Couldn't get it fixed. Bathroom in the lobby was broke. :mad: Took hours to check in. Complaint line a mile long.

Yeah, go out to some other parks and report what you find.

MagicKingdomBoy
05-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Sorry that I offended so many close-minded people. I'm not sure what a troll is but I don't spend much time under bridges quizzing people with riddles. I have always heard that Disneyland is tantamount to experiencing some genuine Americana and I guess I had expectations of newness and cleanliness that could not be met.

I guess I should have lied and put up some rosey post about how much I love everything about Disneyland. Or better yet, I should have put nothing, said nothing, kept my opinions to myself. You Americans brag about your freedom of speech (and freedoms in general) yet you are so quick to limit it (e.g. the post by the person who was subject to an illegal search while near the park - yes, Pisces, illegal, you can't apply law dealing with traffic stops to brief street encounters that allow law enforcement to pat down only).

Anyway, sorry to be a pesky blip on your boards. I guess I will go find a bridge to explore my new designation. Peace.

Why all the animosity? The way you denounce the polite responses to your initial post is demeaning, even though your initial post lacked specificity, thereby iniviting comments and questions. If you want to complain, complain. But don't take it out on everyone else who takes their time to respond to your thread.

santoanderson
05-14-2007, 08:09 AM
OK, when he brought up the American thing, it totally switched topics. I've been to plenty of message boards in the past, and whenever a topic turns to nationality, it turns ugly.

Lekta
05-14-2007, 08:40 AM
OK, when he brought up the American thing, it totally switched topics. I've been to plenty of message boards in the past, and whenever a topic turns to nationality, it turns ugly.

Not to mention you came to a DISNEYLAND fan board and are bad mouthing it. Did you expect some support or something??

Might I ask what country your from?

Lekta
05-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Sorry that I offended so many close-minded people.

Perhaps try to go to another message board that isn't designed for Disney fans then. Use your brain unless its completely clouded with your obvious bad attitude.

I have always heard that Disneyland is tantamount to experiencing some genuine Americana and I guess I had expectations of newness and cleanliness that could not be met.

So you didn't like it, move on. Why rile up a argument on a Disneyland fan board? Not enough hugs as a child?

Or better yet, I should have put nothing, said nothing, kept my opinions to myself.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Better yet, be constructive and write Disneyland a letter about your complaints. Or even, give us examples instead of giving complete dislike for the entire park.

Better make sure that bridge wasn't built in the 30's......