PDA

View Full Version : Money-Saving Tips

LynnP
06-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi there, everyone,
I am planning a trip to DLR for 3-4 days during the second week in October. It will be myself (24) and my boyfriend.
This is my first trip as an adult (paying for myself) and we're coming from Canada so with the exchange, I need all the money-saving tips that you can provide.
We'll be staying at a neighboring hotel. We saw the Park Vue Inn for $49.00. Is it an okay place? We weren't planning on getting a car, so we want somewhere where we can walk to the parks.
There is a special deal for Canadians for 5 days for the price of 3 park-hopper tickets, so we'll most likely go for that.
My last trip was in 2000 so any inside info would be greatly appreciated. Especially, how much time to devote to DCA in a 3 day trip.
Thanks a lot, I enjoy all the posts. I am a huge DL fan and can't wait to get back.

Lani
06-17-2002, 09:32 AM
LynnP -- First off, read my article, Disneyland on a Budget (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/budget.htm) for some money-saving tips.

Second, go read Mary's MouseSavers.com (http://www.mousesavers.com) Web site. She does a marvelous job with posting updated info on various discounts and things.

Disney Nick
06-17-2002, 09:55 AM
I would like to comment about the Park Vue Inn. I too am staying there July 4th-7th and though I've never stayed there before, my experience with hotels on that street directly adjacent has been very good, especially after they've been renovated. They are fairly basic rooms with microwave/fridge, full length closet mirrors (nice touch), and usually 2 queen beds. The continental breakfast these hotels offer is usually just basic muffins/donuts/juice/coffee type thing, but it is a good way to start the day without spending money at the park. Also, there is an IHOP, mini-market, and McDonalds all within a 5 minute walk of your hotel, so they are alternative places to dine/pick up a snack when you are taking a break. I would say that normally DCA takes about 1 full day to do everything. And definitely Disneyland is 2 days at least. Don't miss the great shows and have fun! Also, if you wouldn't mind, do a trip report for Brian, as I hear he's running low on reports, especially Disneyland!

Iceman
06-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Being young adults, you may want to budget half of each day at each park. Disneyland gets crowded, and I for one get tired of all the whiny screaming kids by the middle of the afternoon. DCA is more open and also has more "adult" rides.

stinkerbell
06-17-2002, 07:50 PM
I went down twice last fall and I have to agree with Iceman. The first visit was with my husband, my mom and three kids. We spent a full day and a half at DCA of our 5 days. It was more convenient with the kids and stroller and bag checks, etc. just to stay in one park.

But the next month just my seven year old and I went down and we spent part of each of our five days at DCA, usually in the afternoons, when DL was super busy. We'd get a Splash fastpass ticket and run to DCA for a show or a few rides, then come back over to DL. I wouldn't recommend necessarily doing that, but we had a great time park "hopping."

I have read some negative reviews of the Park Vue here on MP before. (on the boards, not in an offical trip report) I have stayed next door at the Park Place Inn and had a great experience and our friends stayed at the Tropicana at the same time and their room was wonderful, although I'd heard some negative comments about that hotel before. If you're striving for economy and convenience, I'd say that the Park Vue is a sure thing for you! :) Have a great trip! October is a great time to be at Disneyland! Okay, well, to me, anytime is a good time......

triciaj
06-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Hi LynnP, from a fellow Canadian!

We visited Disneyland in May, and the exchange is pretty brutal. I echo all the recommendations you've heard, the hotels on Harbor Blvd are very accessible to the parks and well priced, and there are some reasonably priced restaurants as well. Last visit we spent two nights at the Howard Johnson, which was very nice (then we splurged at the Paradise Pier which was great!)

We park-hopped most days when we were there, starting off with Disneyland, and then heading over to DCA in the early afternoon, and then back again. We found moving between the two parks pretty easy to do.

We're big fans as well, despite the sagging Canadian dollar we've managed 4 trips in 6 years. I'd still like to see a Disneyland Canada though!

cheers.