PDA

View Full Version : How come DLR has no toll-free number?

DizMe
05-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I suppose it's somewhat picky of me, but I think it's a little cheap on the part of a $$$$ resort, especially when you usually spend quite a bit of time on hold.

JeffG
05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Toll free numbers cost a company quite a bit of money. I would imagine that Disney simply realized that requiring guests to pay for the call themselves isn't going to stop much of anyone from calling and booking a vacation.

Keep in mind that you would still basically end up paying for the call, even if they did have a toll free number. The cost would be passed on through price increases.

-Jeff

disney jones
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
there's one around, i've found it before. but it took some looking around.

Malcon10t
05-12-2007, 04:38 PM
There is one for WDTC, but I haven't found one for DL itself. My cell has free long distance, so I just use it. I think not having an 800 makes people think before they call.

AlbertaMinnie
05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I have one for Disneyland Delivears (and it sounds as though you are speaking with Mary Poppins herself!)

1-800-362-4533

The prompts are as follows:

1 - to speak to a representative
2 - for park hours and general resort information
3 - walk of magical memories commemorative paving stones
4 - returns and exchanges purchased at the resort
5 - magic music days photo information
6 - DL Resort pin program
7 - Merchandise from WDW, DisneyShopping.com, or the Disney Store

Hope this can help someone.

Another Dimension
05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Because, no matter how much I love the place, the truth is...
"Free things at Disneyland" are few and far between.

:|

jcruise86
05-12-2007, 07:18 PM
. . . you would still basically end up paying for the call, even if they did have a toll free number. The cost would be passed on through price increases.
Customers wouldn't necessarily end up paying for toll-free calls; Disney might have a lower profit margin.

petesimac
05-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Ha, ha, ha, oh, I can't stop laughing, ha, ha, Disney lower their profit margins, oh, stop it, stop it, you're killing me, ha, ha, ha...:D

JeffG
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Customers wouldn't necessarily end up paying for toll-free calls; Disney might have a lower profit margin.

What would be the company's motivation for a change that would lower their profit margin?

-Jeff

Rapunzelthorn
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I've noticed that I don't have to pay long distance charges when I use my cell phone. Maybe you could use your cell? I use mine any time that I have to call a company that is out of state without a toll free number. I agree with you, I think that it's tacky for a company as big as Disney not to provide a toll free number for their customers. :rolleyes: It doesn't make you feel very valued as a customer. It would be good customer service to provide your potential customers with a toll free number if you want their business. It seems rather smug not to.

jcruise86
05-12-2007, 08:09 PM
What would be the company's motivation for a change that would lower their profit margin?

-Jeff
I guess I was unclear. I meant that Disney would have a lower profit margin if--as JeffG suggested in his post #2, quoted below and above--Disney went back to having toll-free Disneyland calls. (He wrote, ". . . you would still basically end up paying for the call, even if they did have a toll free number. The cost would be passed on through price increases.")

Of course Disney would never deliberately reduce their profits unless we're talking about a controversial, commercial-free mini-series.

I was just trying to question the idea that costs NEATLY get passed along in both directions when it comes to Disney.

Business executives are under pressure to increase profits, and I'd guess the decision to have guests take on more of the phone costs will improve Disney's bottom line via guests' phone bills.

Actually many phone plans make this change (ending toll-free calls) painless for guests, so I think this may have been a good move.

OK, now I'm even starting to bore myself :geek: :rolleyes: so I promise to stay off this thread.

DizMe
05-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Ah, I had forgotten about using a cell phone. Unfortunately, I get no service at my home, which is the most convenient spot from which to call for reservations/information. It's not a deal breaker or anything, as I have an abiding love for DL in spite of certain marketing and profit strategies. I simply have never dealt with another major hotel or resort that did not offer a toll-free number to call and I wondered why the Disney Corp. would snub the public that way. I realize they don't have to, as people will call regardless, but it just seems a little snotty. The call has never been toll-free in the years I've been making reservations, which goes back to about 1990, long before the cell phone era. I don't suppose it's cheap to keep up with CEO severence packages and such in the corporate world, though, so no doubt the parsimony is warranted ;)

On the plus side, I do love the music while I'm on hold.

Malcon10t
05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Ah, I had forgotten about using a cell phone. Unfortunately, I get no service at my home, which is the most convenient spot from which to call for reservations/information. It's not a deal breaker or anything, as I have an abiding love for DL in spite of certain marketing and profit strategies. I simply have never dealt with another major hotel or resort that did not offer a toll-free number to call and I wondered why the Disney Corp. would snub the public that way. I realize they don't have to, as people will call regardless, but it just seems a little snotty. The call has never been toll-free in the years I've been making reservations, which goes back to about 1990, long before the cell phone era. I don't suppose it's cheap to keep up with CEO severence packages and such in the corporate world, though, so no doubt the parsimony is warranted ;)

On the plus side, I do love the music while I'm on hold.

They haven't had 800 numbers ever as far as I know. I can remember as far back as the 70s calling for info and knowing my s-dad would complain about the chrages if I called.

nightdesigns
05-13-2007, 08:03 AM
People still pay for long distance calls? I haven't seen a LD charge on any of my phone lines in years and I call all over the nation, a lot.

darph nader
05-13-2007, 08:23 AM
My guess is that they would get 80 bazillion calls a day.
"Can I talk to Mickey?"
"What time is the 3:00 parade today?"
"How do we get there from here?"
"What's the 'current' price of a churro?"
:rolleyes:

Malcon10t
05-13-2007, 08:25 AM
"Can I talk to Mickey?"
:rolleyes:Right. And if you had to pay for the charge on your end, I think you'd think twice before calling. As it is, hold times are bad at times, imagine if the call was free, hold times would increase significantly.

tod
05-13-2007, 10:08 AM
"Can I talk to Mickey?"

"I'm sorry, he's taking a nap right now."

"It leaves 'it's a small world' at 3 o'clock."

"Disneyland is located off the 5 freeway in Anaheim. If you're coming south, get off at Disneyland Drive. If you're coming north, get off at Harbor -- and follow the signs."

:rolleyes:

"I'm not sure, let me connect you to Outdoor Vending. May I put you on hold for a moment?"

FWIW, the Disneyland switchboard used to have a sorta-toll-free number in the downtown-L.A. MAdison exchange. The number still works, but it is now connected to a recording that gives the direct-dial numbers to Disneyland Guest Information and Disneyland Cast Services. It used to give the number for the Walt Disney Studios, but it doesn't any more.

--t

jacandjan
05-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I saw this number on the bottom of a post concerning the new Pirates Lair, it said to call for all types of park info.

1-866-60-disney

I have not tried it myself.

Malcon10t
05-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I saw this number on the bottom of a post concerning the new Pirates Lair, it said to call for all types of park info.

1-866-60-disney

I have not tried it myself.Thats the Disney Travel center. But, youcan press 5 to get to the DIsneyland resort.

geoffa
05-24-2007, 02:10 AM
If you are calling from outside the USA then the toll - free call isn't toll free!

SANDYMARIE
05-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Ha, ha, ha, oh, I can't stop laughing, ha, ha, Disney lower their profit margins, oh, stop it, stop it, you're killing me, ha, ha, ha...:D

You're hilarious!!!!