PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gallery

mojo72
05-12-2007, 08:06 AM
I have heard that if you ask a cm in the DG for a back stage tour they will show you things that the normal guest will not see. Is this true, and what do they show you?

Vegitabeta
05-12-2007, 08:19 AM
We turned up one day when a cast member did a little tour and it was very nice, however, I wouldn't say it was 'backstage', unless you mean something else. We were shown in each room and outside and told about what would be where when Walt moved in etc, very interesting:)

Gone2Disneyland
05-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I got the tour last fall. Me and a friend were in the Gallery looking around when a CM was walking around letting everyone know that if we were interested he would be giving a tour of the history of the Gallery in five minutes. Five minutes later he led a small group of us around each room, providing great background about the concept and construction of the place, and pointed out neat details built throughout the Gallery. As I recall it lasted about twenty minutes. Definitely worth the price - free! :p

PinkFloyd
05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
The tour is great and we did get a little backstage tour. Last year when we went, another CM opened a door in the back. Our host let us peek in and explained that the room was intended for Walt's grandchildren when they came to visit. They currently use it for their print-on-demand service and storage.

ladodgerjon
05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
"...Our host let us peek in and explained that the room was intended for Walt's grandchildren when they came to visit. They currently use it for their print-on-demand service and storage.

In the early days of the gallery, this room was where you would go to view your signed print, and/or choose the "number" of your limited lithograph (as well as pay for your print). I bought the John Hench "Snow White's Grotto," a Sam McKim train sketch, two Herb Ryman's (the Sleeping Beauty Castle concept sketch and his NOS concept watercolor) as well as a signed Harper Goff depiction of the Jungle Cruise ride.

When I was a teenager, I got a peek inside the gallery back in the mid-eighties (PRE gallery days) when it was being used for planning Euro Disney(land). LOTS of artwork featuring a DL park in SPAIN, ITALY and FRANCE.

Prior to being used for Euro Disney planning, this space was used by the insurance services for the park.

There was a BEAUTIFUL dining room table in the center of the front room where temporary exhibits now exist. That table was intended for Walt to entertain guests & family at meal times. It had several intricate inlaid designs on it's surface. The table was later purchased by Gordon Cooper (Mercury & Gemini astronaut).

One last thought: Not long ago I was shown the bathroom for the master suite-- sorta small, but the sink and shower are still intact (though filled with boxes for gallery storage).

Rkkm
05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
I really appreciate everyone's information, but just to think of Walt's big plans - and how wonderful they would have been upon fruition - makes me sad. He left us way too early!

Bytebear
05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
One last thought: Not long ago I was shown the bathroom for the master suite-- sorta small, but the sink and shower are still intact (though filled with boxes for gallery storage).

Is this the hidden bathroom we keep hearing about?

kaybee2
05-29-2007, 04:49 PM

lol, good one! It must be! :D

ladodgerjon
05-31-2007, 05:14 PM

I don't know-- what have you heard?

Here's where the bathroom is:

If you are standing in the courtyard (at the gallery) and facing the wall fountain (your back is to the Rivers of America), the (bed)room to your left is where the bathroom exists-- it's behind the closed door at the back of the room.