PDA

View Full Version : Ward Kimball Article from L.A. Times

capst
05-12-2007, 06:43 AM
From the L.A. Times 05/12/07

Railroad ends a long run on a short track
Grizzly Flats inspired Walt Disney, excited neighborhood families and brought joy to the family that owned and ran it.
By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer
May 12, 2007

It was short in length — but long in its reach.

The Grizzly Flats Railroad's steam engines traveled for 70 years along a 500-foot-long stretch of rails next to the San Gabriel home of Betty and Ward Kimball.

Along the way, the Kimballs' picturesque narrow-gauge line helped inspire Walt Disney to build the famous passenger train system that circles Disneyland.

Now, though, its locomotives, vintage cars and caboose have been hauled away, and workers have finished pulling out the steel rails and wooden ties. Soon, the antique-looking Grizzly Flats train depot will be dismantled. The old train barn and firehouse will be demolished.

[Text Deleted]

UsBurchs
05-12-2007, 08:38 AM
OH! This makes me terribly sad! This was the inspiration for my father-in-law's own train that runs around his back yard! Our family knew Ward before he died (I only met him once) and my father-in-law thought he was quite a wonderful guy. Ward was part of the antique car club that my father-in-law belongs too (he restores old Stanley Steamers and does apholstry for a living). He'll be sad to hear the news when I tell him. :( =sniff=

Well, at least we have the Burch Railroad still! :) Memories of Ward's railroad will live on . . .

bloodnswash
05-12-2007, 08:51 AM
That is sad news. :crying:

"Memories of Ward's railroad will live on . . ." But that is definitely happy :)

tod
05-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I was sad too, until I read the article. The railroad stock has been donated to a museum, the same one Kimball sent his first donation to when he stopped running one of his old locomotives. The station building is being given to John Lasseter, who will give it a good home. He will also be offered the water tower.

It's sad that the Grizzly Flats is being dismantheld, but Ward Kimball died a few years ago -- which made me a lot sadder than this did -- and life goes on. The stuff is being iven to people who will preserve and appreciate it, and that is good news.

--t

adriennek
05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
I was sad too, until I read the article. The railroad stock has been donated to a museum, the same one Kimball sent his first donation to when he stopped running one of his old locomotives. The station building is being given to John Lasseter, who will give it a good home. He will also be offered the water tower.

It's sad that the Grizzly Flats is being dismantheld, but Ward Kimball died a few years ago -- which made me a lot sadder than this did -- and life goes on. The stuff is being iven to people who will preserve and appreciate it, and that is good news.

--t

When we joined the Orange Empire Railroad Museum a few years ago, Ward was still alive. Members reported that he often came out to the museum on weekends to work on his projects personally.

Railroad enthusiasts had a really great opportunity to work with Ward when he was still alive! I even wrote an article about it in 2001 (http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/akrock25.htm) for anyone who was interested in checking it out. I agree, the truely sad part is that Ward is gone.

Nothing lasts forever. Fortunately, the OERM has Ward's Emma Nevada, the Grizzly Flats he built there, and a turntable he underwrote. The last time we were at the Railroad Museum in Sacramento, there was a car on loan from Ward there, too. And how wonderful for John Lasseter that he's getting some of these treasures!

I think it's sad in that it marks the end of an era but I think there's a lot of good news in there, too - especially for people who didn't know about OERM's collection before.

Adrienne