PDA

View Full Version : When Would You Go To DLR... March or May?

*Tink*
05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I am (already!) planning a trip for next Spring to DLR (me, DH, DS who will be 5, DS who will be 2, 2 friends, and their 2 DD, 7 and 9).

I am going back and forth between early March and early May. We want it to be warm enough to go on water rides, but definately not too warm. We can deal with small amounts of rain on vacation, but no downpours.

I guess I'm just worried that if we go in March, Splash Mtn/GRR/etc will be out, and if we go in May, it will be getting a little too warm for our liking.

Can any locals give me any info of how the weather is first 2 weeks of March and May?

Or does anyone have any other advice to help me choose?

Thank You!

DebT
05-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Our family went this last March. The weather was plenty warm for water rides and swimming. However, even going the first week, we were dealing with early spring break crowds. You may have less people to deal with the beginning of May.

Andrew
05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
March is still "off season" enough that the major attractions you want to see might still be in refurbishment. Everything will usually be open by mid-May.

*Tink*
05-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Thank you, DebT and Andrew!

Andrew- Do you think many attractions would be closed for refurb during the first week (M-F) of May or the second? Would it be better to put it off until the 3rd week, or is the park getting quite a bit busier by that point? (My DH gets stressed out in big crowds, so avoiding them is our #1 priority!)

We normally go in Sept and the crowd level is GREAT, but we always miss HM because it is being changed for the Holidays. DH and DKs have never seen HM and really want to this time around, so we're shooting for Spring instead.

Thanks!

D15
05-10-2007, 06:52 PM
If it helps at all, we just got back from our trip, May 3-7. For the earlier half of the week the weather was mild (cool with a slight breeze), and by the end it was just beautiful (sunny days with a warm breeze- my perfect kind of weather!). The crowds were also quite manageable- the longest wait we stood in was I think 40 mins for Space Mountain. There were Magic Music Days going on which did add to the crowd level, but overall I wouldn't say it was "crowded" at all. Also, the only things that were under refurb were Splash and the stuff concerning TSI due to the Pirate's Lair overlay. If it were up to me, I'd say to go in May :)

EDT: Forgot to mention that the majority of our stay was over a weekend, and I'd think that a M-F trip would have even less crowds.

hlbtimes2
05-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Early May. I was there in early March and early May last year, and late April /early May this year. Early May was much better. In March we about froze- and we are from Seattle, so it takes a lot to make us cold.

june1st1997
05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Tink:

All I have to offer is for the most part... The weather and crowd levels are both usually pretty perfect both times of year.

*Tink*
05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Thank you both so much for your opinions! Its sounds like early May is the way to go! (Even if we do have to wait an entire year for our trip now... :( )

You are all so helpful; I really appreciate it!

*Tink*
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Tink:

All I have to offer is for the most part... The weather and crowd levels are both usually pretty perfect both times of year.

Oops, sorry! I didn't see your post until after I'd already posted mine. I SO want to go in March, just because its that much closer... but DH is saying May sounds good now, so I guess we'll probably go then.

Thanks for the advice, though... and your daughter is GORGEOUS!!!

arabians4ever
05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Tink, I was going to be asking this exact question, lol.

We went the first week of march (3-13) in 2006 and we would like to go the first 2 weeks of march (1-14) again in 2008. My hubby also hates crowds, lol.

We like to go so that we come home the start of our kids spring break so they can rest up and do homework once we are home.

We did do the water rides in 2006 but it would have been nicer to be warmer so we were thinking about the first 2 weeks of may this next time. My kids were in shorts the whole time during the day but it did get really chilly at night.

I am really leaning towards May too............... but it is so far away, lol

*Tink*
05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I am really leaning towards May too............... but it is so far away, lol

LOL- I know it is!!! Part of me wants to say, let's go in March, even if it is a little cool, just because its "only" 10 months away. But, the other part of me KNOWS that we'll all have a better time if we wait another 2 months and its nice and warm.

I'm going to have this entire trip planned and everything ready to go... and have to wait another 9 months to actually leave!

Ah, its so frustrating... but SO worth it once we're actually there! We're taking friends with us who are Disney-clueless, so I'm excited about their girls seeing everything for the first time. Plus, my youngest son was only 10 months the last time we visited...

GL making the decision of when to go.. and I hope you and your family have a blast! 2 weeks... I would be in HEAVEN! :)

arabians4ever
05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
gl to you too in your planning.

yes, 2 weeks, we like to do it all, universal, Hollywood, seaworld, knotts (which we didnt do last time) medieval times dinner, zoo, shopping days, lol and this time some beach days.

Last time was 10 days and we sure could have used more days, lol.

We would like to go to a water park but not sure when they open.

oshan70
05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Also March is sometimes more crowded due to the spring break schedules of schools in other states..