PDA

View Full Version : The chimichangas at Disneyland (are they any good?)

Pages : [1] 2

mikotorocks714
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
My wife and I always feel like getting one when we go, but this was last year when we had our annual pass. Now that we have our annual pass again, the craving is back and next time we go we'd love to try it. However, for any of you who have already tried one; are they any good?

The turkey leg looks good too, even though I'm just a white meat fan (chicken breast and whatnot,) but too bad it has over a thousand calories according to the OC Register. Well, I'm sure the chimichanga is probably just as bad, but it just looks so good. :)

Gone2Disneyland
05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I finally tried my first one earlier this year. Same reason as you, they looked appealing. It wasn't bad for what it is, a fried mildly spicy burrito. I shouldna known, duh! :p I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up another one.

The turkey legs fill you up better, but I always watch out for when they bring a fresh batch of turkey legs before buying; I bought a dry turkey leg once and was disappointed.

Andrew
05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
However, for any of you who have already tried one; are they any good?
Yes! Tip: Get some Tabasco packets from Rancho del Zocalo or the French Market first; you won't be sorry.

BackSideOfWtr
05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
hey are good...... however..... they are better if you can track them down fresh. i would wait till you see one station run out and refill them with fresh ones.

Another Dimension
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Go for the turkey leg...
At least they aren't a ripoff. And to everyone with any real worth of money in general, they are pretty popular.

The Disneyland chimichangas are basically the 4 for .99 Tina's Chimichangas(sold at every supermarket, nationwide) and then lightly fried.

...and are about as latin food influenced as egg rolls. :rolleyes:

findin mickeys
05-10-2007, 03:54 PM
The Chimi's arent too bad. I do miss the tamale cart though. I have not seen that in several years. Does anyone know if those are more of a "seasonal" offering? The last time I saw them was probably 4-5 years ago in the spring. We try to go at least once a year (usually summer time) and we have not seen them in a long time.

mikotorocks714
05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Ha, ha thanks guys!

Ah, yes the Tina burritos ha, ha (who doesn't know those?) Well, if they're just like that but fried, I guess I'd still try them (my wife has fried Tina burritos before and then added cheese on top of them with yummy results.) Being of Mexican nationality I can easily tell what's not good LOL, but as I said, it looks great so I guess it won't hurt to try it. :)

I'm also sold on that turkey leg, so I'll try a fresh one too (good advice.) Good advice on the hot sauce idea too, yum!

Andrew
05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I do miss the tamale cart though. I have not seen that in several years. Does anyone know if those are more of a "seasonal" offering?
The tamale carts usually appear when the park is all Christmassed up.

Gone2Disneyland
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Ooh, with all the Christmas lights, I guess I never noticed tamale carts. Yum, gotta look out for those if they come back. Thanks!

mikotorocks714
05-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Wow, that makes sense because Mexican families usually only make tamales during the holidays (Christmas time, and New Year's Eve/Day.) That's cool that Disneyland does that too, although all the time would be great too. Mmm...

darph nader
05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
At first I thought you were asking abt the chimis from the odv carts. AVOID these at all costs. Being from the home of chimis,all I can say is those 'stink'. And I'm being polite.

mikotorocks714
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
At first I thought you were asking abt the chimis from the odv carts. AVOID these at all costs. Being from the home of chimis,all I can say is those 'stink'. And I'm being polite.

Yeah, those are the ones I'm talking about (the ones the cart that also sell turkey legs sell.)

rose7116
05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I actually enjoyed them, but I was super hungry when I ate them. They were in the cart right next to us during the fireworks and I had to eat one. My son and I both got one and we couldn't finish it. They were big enough for 2. It was a nice break from the sweet stuff we'd been eating. I have had better Chimis at local restaurants (Arizona), but it's a chimi off of a Disneyland Food Cart, so don't expect a gourmet meal. Chimi's are an American creation anyway, not authentic to deep fry a burrito. ;-)

mikotorocks714
05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I actually enjoyed them, but I was super hungry when I ate them. They were in the cart right next to us during the fireworks and I had to eat one. My son and I both got one and we couldn't finish it. They were big enough for 2. It was a nice break from the sweet stuff we'd been eating. I have had better Chimis at local restaurants (Arizona), but it's a chimi off of a Disneyland Food Cart, so don't expect a gourmet meal. Chimi's are an American creation anyway, not authentic to deep fry a burrito. ;-)

Well, according to wikipedia.com the history of the chimichanga is still under debate LOL. So who knows?

rose7116
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, according to wikipedia.com the history of the chimichanga is still under debate LOL. So who knows?

I vote that the Americans did it. Leave it to us to take anything edible and dunk it in a vat of hot oil. LOL! Still yummy.....

snappy
05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I finally tried my first one earlier this year. Same reason as you, they looked appealing. It wasn't bad for what it is, a fried mildly spicy burrito. I shouldna known, duh! :p I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up another one.

The turkey legs fill you up better, but I always watch out for when they bring a fresh batch of turkey legs before buying; I bought a dry turkey leg once and was disappointed.

When I worked the concession stand next to the Matterhorn I would always get people returning their turkey leg or chimi. Per my manager we would always accept the return with no questions asked. Not sure if that's the policy nowadays, but back in 2004 it was. Turkey legs were very salty to the taste. Hope that helps..Guest are always right!!

darph nader
05-11-2007, 05:15 PM

According to the History Channel,chimichangas were invented in Tucson by a cook (a white woman,if I remember correctly) b/c some customer was upset that his burrito was taking to long to cook. Kinda like the potato chip.
Now,if you a GOOD chimichanga come to Tucson,and go to a little place called Micha's (pronounced Meechas).

(and NO,I don't work for Micha's)

mikotorocks714
05-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey, well if us Americans can fry a Twinkie then I guess that's the answer, but have any of you tried Mexican buņelos? SO good! They're fried raw flour tortillas dipped in some sweet sauce made out of sugar cane (I think it is?) I forget the name of the sauce though. They should sell that along with the tamales at Disneyland LOL. Tastes just like churros, but different.

oshan70
05-14-2007, 12:11 PM
What's inside the chimichanga?

Franz
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
On our trip last December my 10-year old tried the Chimis while sitting in Frontierland watching the outdoor melodrama. He's not really a very adventurous eater, normally just orders grilled cheese sandwich and fries where-ever we go. But let me tell you he is HOOKED on those Chimi's now. I tried a bite. Can't say it was really my thing, but we had to go get one for the boy every day in the park after that first one.

Jenlan2001
05-14-2007, 05:27 PM
darph nader...
Micha's?...Isn't that where Clinton went when he came to our fair metropolis? In my opinion, a little over-rated . You really want the Mom and Pop places for the best. Go to Rosa's in Tucson!

And yes, they say chimis were invented in Tucson...at El Charro. One of the best resturants in town.

junglemom
05-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I miss real Mexican Food, IMHO La Parilla is Tucson's best mexican restaurant by far! There salsa verde is to die for!

Jenlan2001
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
OMG...La Parilla Suiza!! Their "hot cheese" appetizer is to die for! Been awhile since I've been there. Our school had our faculty party there a few years ago.

junglemom
05-14-2007, 06:41 PM
OMG...La Parilla Suiza!! Their "hot cheese" appetizer is to die for! Been awhile since I've been there. Our school had our faculty party there a few years ago.
My girlfriends and I call it cheese blob. "You in the mood for some cheese blob?" MMMMMMMMMMM hot buttery cheese!

h_lehmann
05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Go for the turkey leg...
At least they aren't a ripoff. And to everyone with any real worth of money in general, they are pretty popular......

I agree, the turkey legs are delicious and filling. My only question: what are they really made of? They sure don't taste like anything I've ever had at Thanksgiving. I'm guessing they're actually made from ham, but I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong; I love them, I just think that they're not from this planet.