PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland at Christmas

CNDKanga
05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Just came up with this hairbrained idea to do Christmas (December 22nd-December 26th) at Disneyland. I have 3 children (7,5,3) and a husband and we go every year (or almost every year) and in May 2008 we are heading to Walt Disney World for two weeks. Does it make sense to do Christmas at Disneyland, it's supposed to be the busiest time of the year (usually we go in May so it is relatively quiet). What do kids think about a vacation rather then presents (of course santa will visit but that's it). Any suggestions, personal experiences?

Malcon10t
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Just came up with this hairbrained idea to do Christmas (December 22nd-December 26th) at Disneyland. I have 3 children (7,5,3) and a husband and we go every year (or almost every year) and in May 2008 we are heading to Walt Disney World for two weeks. Does it make sense to do Christmas at Disneyland, it's supposed to be the busiest time of the year (usually we go in May so it is relatively quiet). What do kids think about a vacation rather then presents (of course santa will visit but that's it). Any suggestions, personal experiences?We've been doing it for a few years now. My kids enjoy it (but they are teens/young adults.) Santa still comes. I will see if I can link a picture of our Christmas Eve at Disneyland (later today.)

BTW - It is packed, but it is so much fun. We will be there Dec 22-Jan 3.

wabby1
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
The last time I was at the park (June 2005), I was standing near the Walt statue on Main Street to view the fireworks, and I was visiting with a couple from Glendale who were annual passholders. They told me they visited the park at least every month. And I hit them with the question, "When is the absolute best time to visit Disneyland?" And they both answered almost in unison, 'Christmas!" Well, here we are going again in June of this year, and although I'm excited as all get out about going, I still have the desire to go at Christmas above all other times. It could be that only my wife and I will take that in one year, as our visit this year will include our extended immediate family....which is cool.....we're going to have a GREAT time.....but I want to visit the park during the holidays because I've been told by so many people that it really is a magical, wonderful experience.

Good luck!

yellowrosedtxn
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
We're going for the first time this year for Christmas. We'll be there from the 19th - 26th. It will be me (41 at that time), my dad (61), kid 1 (16), kid 2 (12) and kid 3 (11). I have heard it is busy, but I am so excited about it. We will be going to WDW for the first time (really the kids second, but they were LITTLE) next summer.

jaymesmom617
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
We went last Christmas and it was great!! Our actual DL dates were Dec 21, 22, and 25. On the days before Christmas the morning crowds were light and lines short. Crowded but, not unbearable. The evenings were pretty busy but, we just used out fastpasses and watched the fireworks/Fantasmic. So, we didn't mind the crowds.

We wanted to be in DL on Christmas day b/c we thought that it would magical and it was but, very crowded. We spent a big chunk of the day in DCA b/c the crowds there were not bad at all. We did go back over to DL in the evening but, only stayed for a little bit did a little shopping and rode only rides we had gotten FPs for and ate dinner there. We left pretty early b/c we were driving to San Diego.

Your dates sound good... before Christmas is much better. The crowds are too much for me and my kids-- DS5, DD3, and DS2. :)

VWCat
05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
I'd love to go at christmas!:)

mikotorocks714
05-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Just came up with this hairbrained idea to do Christmas (December 22nd-December 26th) at Disneyland. I have 3 children (7,5,3) and a husband and we go every year (or almost every year) and in May 2008 we are heading to Walt Disney World for two weeks. Does it make sense to do Christmas at Disneyland, it's supposed to be the busiest time of the year (usually we go in May so it is relatively quiet). What do kids think about a vacation rather then presents (of course santa will visit but that's it). Any suggestions, personal experiences?

Well, are you talking about Anaheim Disneyland or WDW?

CNDKanga
05-10-2007, 06:25 PM
We are thinking about Disneyland Anaheim for Christmas but we are definately going to WDW in Florida in May 2008. We have been to Disneyland countless times but never to WDW.

julbright
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
we did DL in December and WDW on Christmas the following year. Early-id december was so much nicer becuz it was all decorated and you got to enjoy the spirit of the holidays without the crowds. I will never do WDW ON Christmas again - it was magical but it wasn't worth the hassle with the kids (mine were 8 & 5 at the time). I don't know if DL is just as crowded as WDW but... I think a lot of things are more expensive ON Christmas week as opposed to early december. Yours are still young enough to take out of school for a few days without putting them so far behind....so maybe mid-December would be a nicer option. Santa still came for us also but very small - Santa usually brings only 3 presents each to our house (cuz that's what Jesus got - 3 gifts from wisemen) and the rest are from us. That year - it was only Santa.... kids were OK with that but they did notice there was less opening... and the magic of Christmas morning at home was lost.... hope this helps - I am glad I did it once cuz it is really magical and beautiful.... but I don't like to go when it's crowded.... plus you are doing WDW for 2 weeks not long after that... I dunno.... what would be your reason for going on Christmas (atmosphere, something different, spending the money there instead of on a bunch more toys they don't really need.... etc?)

Malcon10t
05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
CHristmas at Disneyland was great, and Santa still comes

LittleArtist
05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I went last Christmas, it was very busy, but I think being able to experience the park with the entire Christmas theme is fun, the fireworks and snow in the evening was really cool. Also since it seems your kids have been on several rides many times, it wouldn't hurt to miss a few due to long lines...well that was my attitude.

As for a kid enjoying it as a present of somesort, my parents treated my brother and I (we were young) to a trip to Disneyland during the Xmas time, they pretended that Santa bought us tickets b/c we had been such good children...we went after the big day but it was still really memorable.

I'd recommend it. :)

californiagirlx7
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Disneyland is amazing on Christmas, last year we were there from December 22-26. Christmas was pretty busy, but it was way busier the next day.

bloodnswash
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
If you don't mind huge crowds, DL at Xmas is a great thing. The park has such a wonderful feel. The decorations are so much fun to see. If you can, it's a really nice thing to experience at least once :)

GrumpyUTboi
05-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Having 4 children and all 4 being around the same age 2 years ago, there is NO WAY that I would ever subject myself of my young family to such a horrible experience as that ever again. My 2 oldest got to wait in line 1.5 hours for Splash Mountain and 2 hours for Indy, meanwhile I got to wait 60 min just go on the Winnie the Pooh ride. After 3 hours of un magical moments we decided to leave. The crowds were so horrendous that as we tried to maneuver the 2 strollers in single file, people would walk in front of us, wouldn't let us thru and finally any body that cut me off got a stroller in the back of their legs.

I wasted a lot of money for a frustrating and horrible time. There was nothing magical about the trip and we would never in a lifetime ever experience that again.

If you go, be forewarned, with small children it is not fun.

ArtGuy
05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
We flew out Christmas Eve from Boston, MA and stayed 'til New Year's Day. We had a blast. And I wore shorts EVERY Day because December in California is like April in Beantown. It was busy, yes. But it was just so much fun seeing all the decorations, people getting into the holiday spirit, and everyone we met and talked to just having a little extra bit of goodwill toward other park visitors!!

I recommend it highly at least once.

http://artguy.zenfolio.com/p957703579/?photo=869370525

http://artguy.zenfolio.com/p957703579/?photo=262340099

http://artguy.zenfolio.com/p957703579/?photo=4231707

danyoung
05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, are you talking about Anaheim Disneyland or WDW?

Disneyland is in Anaheim, while Walt Disney World is in Florida. I think the OP was pretty clear. Plus this is the DisneyLAND forum, so there wasn't much confusion. . .

Malcon10t
05-11-2007, 10:06 AM
We flew out Christmas Eve from Boston, MA and stayed 'til New Year's Day. We had a blast. And I wore shorts EVERY Day because December in California is like April in Beantown. It was busy, yes. But it was just so much fun seeing all the decorations, people getting into the holiday spirit, and everyone we met and talked to just having a little extra bit of goodwill toward other park visitors!!

I recommend it highly at least once.I do too. I know some posters here have had totally opposite experiences, but we have always had so much fun at Christmas time at DL. Yes, there are lines, but they are about the same as during any other peak time. We visit every year at Christmas (from at least Christmas Eve to Jan2nd.) We have never had a negative experience.

DizneyMommy
05-11-2007, 10:57 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE Xmas at Disneyland! We cannot get enough of it, and usually go at least once a week from decorations up to decorations down. You will not be dissappointed!

Just bring your patience, and know that along with the incredible atmosphere comes a heavier crowd. Plan to do things you don't normally do like maybe ride the double decker bus or the railroad around a couple of times, or just stroll around to see the decorations in every nook and cranny of the park. And don't miss the parade, that is the best part! I have that song in my head all year long! Make sure you grab a peppermint mocha at the bakery - I can't leave without one!

pisces
05-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Christmas time -vs- The exact day of....

I'd been wanting to spend the exact day of the 25th for years. That and Christmas Eve proper.

I finally did it last year.

Would I do it again? Not in the near future.

I really wasn't prepared for the crowds on Christmas Eve....but like someone above said, the weather (Christmas Eve 2006) was absolutely balmy and not even so much as a jacket required that evening. It was on a Sunday, so there were naturally just plain weekend crowds. In any case I was very surprised at how many people there were this past Christmas Eve.....and many of them quite angry about the Park closing early....given such great weather (the last few Christmas Eves prior, apparently had yucky weather)

...So much so that the GCH had to pass out flyers (and leave a recording on guest phones) about how sorry they were about the inconvenience of closing early. ????? It had been on the calendar for months.

What I'm trying to say is....you had massive crowds, this past Christmas Eve, who were quite irate at the early closure....and so it dampened the cheery spirit---just a little. (I'm serious....at 9:00 pm, Christmas Eve there were people booing at the impending closure----not very Christmas-y IMHO)

So that was a bit of a downer----again, I guess nobody expected the great weather.

The 23rd....a Saturday night, was also a bit more crowded then you might expect for the day before Christmas Eve.

I think if you go into it, with realistic expectations, knowing that little things might go wrong, and don't expect everything to be perfect (which is what we'd all like on a Christmas vacation)...you'll be fine.

That being said: There are some wonderful things about spending Christmas Eve, and Day in the Park, namely this:

http://artguy.zenfolio.com/p957703579/?photo=h33D18A9D#869370525

That about says it all. There is nothing like a Christmas Eve ride on Small World....and I mean nothing...even if you've ridden it several times before---a nightime Christmas Eve ride on Small World is like nothing else!

That, and waking up Christmas morning (early entry last year) being the first in the Park, with the musical loop turned up, and gaping at the snow globe...(I've got pictures of that)....and the first on Peter Pan....Christmas Morning---I'll never forget that!

pisces
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
From my photos---Christmas 2006 at Disneyland:

http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120764121-M-LB
--(The hotel room)

Down below: This was Christmas morning early early early before anyone was really in the park yet, and yes...the weather was that great, with absolutely no wind in sight ---the heavy winds started in a couple of days later---....but for that particular moment, that morning was beautiful:
http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#121166948-M-LB

....and, of course, (below) the point at which the serenity of Christmas becomes the chaos of New Years ....
http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120769501-M-LB

... that picture was taken at about 5:00 pm New Years Eve.

All in all it's a very exciting time at the Park....that Christmas-into-New Years week.