PDA

View Full Version : CMs in costumes

lofosho
05-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Question..........so we all know that CMs wear different costumes in different lands, rides, etc. I've read that years ago, especially when Walt was there, that it was very important that CMs not go into other lands while in a different costume, keeping with the idea that each land is a "different world", and you're not supposed to see them from the others... What happened to this? On my last visit I was kindof saddened to see CMs in Adventureland costume walking through Tomorrowland, etc. It kindof ruined the magic! :( I also witnessed a young CM out of costume, and that was the weirdest. I guess he was leaving or going on break or something, but he was wearing his costume pants, etc, but apparently had taken off his shirt and was wearing just a wife beater. I was just shocked/surprised I guess, because normally they are pretty careful about stuff like that. Does anyone know why this is not a priority anymore? Similar Experiences?

Animalia
05-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I know what you mean. I always understood that if a guest can see you (the CM) then you are considered "on stage". It wouldn't do to see an actor in a theater walk out onto the stage during a production if it wasn't fitting for them to be there. I remember reading a story told by Dick Van Dyke - he was with Walt Disney in his apartment looking out the window when they saw a Jungle Cruise CM walking across Town Square on Main Street to the backstage entrance. Walt got on the phone right away and wanted to know why someone from the deepest, darkest parts of Africa was walking across a turn of the century small town street in America. I don't know if the policy has become more relaxed or not but these days I myself have seen CMs cross the hub from Tomorrowland to Frontierland or Adventureland. And Canoe Guides walking through New Orleans Square to get to and from backstage. I guess it's a shortest distance between two points thing. It does bother me a little that a CM was seen in only half his costume while on stage.

charpaul
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I THINK that it is no longer a priority for CM's to stay in their own lands. They even schedule people from different lands to be working crowd control for parades/fireworks. You will often see CM's from MANY different locations working on MainStreet for the parade or fireworks crowds.

This really started to happen several years ago when they changed the costume policy that allowed the CM to take their costume home at the end of their shift instead of always returning it to central costuming. This means that CM's can enter and go to their assigned land by almost any "gate" into the park.

lofosho
05-10-2007, 09:08 AM

This really started to happen several years ago when they changed the costume policy that allowed the CM to take their costume home at the end of their shift instead of always returning it to central costuming. This means that CM's can enter and go to their assigned land by almost any "gate" into the park.

That makes sense, because I've also seen CMs carrying their personal stuff (backpacks, bags, purses, on their cell phones) while in costume walking towards a gate.

Maybe some CMs on MP could shed some light on this?

Mr.Abominable
05-10-2007, 09:17 AM
This is also something I have thought about . Seems to be alot more of this happening than ever before. Even in downtown Disney I see a lot of CMs in costume. I have worked in hotels in Vegas where they managed this better than they are in Disneyland right now.

evrythngwmn
05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
It's pretty out of control. The cell phone thing is my biggest peeve. I blame a lot of it on the subpar level of people they're hiring these days. It carries over into problems in a LOT of areas.

adriennek
05-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I was under the impression that part of the reason for moving onstage in the wrong costumes also has to more limited access backstage. For example, with the Indiana Jones building, it's harder to get from one area backstage to another without cutting across onstage?

Adrienne

shna
05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
It's pretty out of control. The cell phone thing is my biggest peeve. I blame a lot of it on the subpar level of people they're hiring these days. It carries over into problems in a LOT of areas.

Is it possible that they're not members of a "subpar level of people," but that they are just following the current guidelines for behavior? Just because some long-time Disney enthusiasts fondly remember back to "the way it was" doesn't mean that the younger people being hired today know anything about the older ways. If they're not taught/trained to follow the procedures that used to be in place, why are people blaming them?

Yes -- I'm sure SOME CMs aren't "as good" as people you remember seeing in the past... and maybe some are truly awful. However, it seems wrong (to me, anyway) to speak ill of them without even knowing what they're supposed to be doing.

That said -- if a current CM confirms that people are breaking rules & doing things they shouldn't do under the current guidelines, speak ill of the rulebreakers all you want.

Wrldtrvlr
05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
CM's when onstage are to be in full costume including nametag.

CM's are allowed to carry personal items to/from their work locations and locker/costume locations.

CM's can carry food/drink items to break areas, but should not eat or drink while onstage (some outside locations do allow CM's to drink water only).

CM's should not be on cell phones while onstage. Emergencies like re-uniting parents and children excepted.

Wearing of costumes off property is allowed for short stops on your way home, but just hanging out partially dressed is not.:(

lofosho
05-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Is it possible that they're not members of a "subpar level of people," but that they are just following the current guidelines for behavior? Just because some long-time Disney enthusiasts fondly remember back to "the way it was" doesn't mean that the younger people being hired today know anything about the older ways. If they're not taught/trained to follow the procedures that used to be in place, why are people blaming them?

Yes -- I'm sure SOME CMs aren't "as good" as people you remember seeing in the past... and maybe some are truly awful. However, it seems wrong (to me, anyway) to speak ill of them without even knowing what they're supposed to be doing.

That said -- if a current CM confirms that people are breaking rules & doing things they shouldn't do under the current guidelines, speak ill of the rulebreakers all you want.

Are there different standards for hiring then there was in the past?

danyoung
05-17-2007, 04:58 AM
They even schedule people from different lands to be working crowd control for parades/fireworks.

Y'know, while I'm still not wild about the idea of a Tomorrowland crewmember walking through Frontierland, I do kinda like it when they all come together for a parade or fireworks event. They're kind of universal events in a sense, and it seems logical that all parts of DL would come together to work that event. Maybe I'm being apologistic, but it seems sorta cool to me.

Now, the show pants with the wifebeater shirt? Absolutely uncool!

PanFan
05-17-2007, 08:55 AM
As far as the parades and fireworks on Main Street go, yes, there are CM's from different lands who are scheduled to work there. However, they are not necessarily wearing their usual costume. The costume for a Main Street parade shift is Adventureland Attractions (think Indy). Those working the Hub wear Frontierland. And from SBC to the Matterhorn (just below Alice) is Tomorrowland Attractions (think Autopia, or as CM's like to call the outfit, Taco Bell). Above that is Fantasyland. I work in Fantasyland and have been scheduled for both Tomorrowland and Main Street parade shifts and have had to wear the appropriate costume to that area, not my FL one.

bloodnswash
05-17-2007, 09:38 AM
It also bums me to see cast members in their costumes out in the parking areas.

PanFan
05-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Sorry, not much we can do about that. The main lot for Fantasyland and Toontown CM's is just behind Mickey and Friends and the only way to get to it is by crossing through the Daisy level. That is, unless we want to go out the TDA entrance and walk down Ball Road, but I think that would be much worse than staying on property. I suppose we could bring our costumes and change at costuming, but I've been late before by trying to do that and Fantasyland costuming often isn't open as late as the park, so we'd have to go all the way to main costuming behind Main Street, then all the way back to the Ball lot (which is a 15 minute walk as it is from Fantasyland). We're not allowed to change in the bathrooms.

I know it's a little saddening to see CM's in various costumes at locations not necessarily complementary to what they're wearing, but I, for one, appreciate some of the little freedoms we're given regarding it. I'm glad I am allowed to walk on stage carrying my backpack or food to eat during my break. I'm glad I'm allowed to cross through the Hub and parts of Tomorrowland in my Fantasyland costume in order to get to the Inn Between so I don't have to eat at the Village Haus every day (I'm sure many of you can sympathize). Disneyland doesn't have the tunnel system that WDW has, so in all practicality you will see some CM's in costumes outside their themed area. It's not that we're trying to destroy any illusions and show for guests, but sometimes it's not practical (and often truly is impossible) to get from one place to another completely backstage.

And I agree--the CM missing his costume shirt was completely unacceptable while wearing costume pants.

hlbtimes2
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Is it possible that they're not members of a "subpar level of people," but that they are just following the current guidelines for behavior?.

Just a wild guess, since I didnt post the original comment. I think what she may have meant was, a subpar level person may not realize it is bad show to be on a cell phone or only partially costumed where guests can see you. Someone that is on par or above would likely realize it that it is bad show, and not do it even without being told. Sort of like some people know when its ok to use a cell phone in public and others are clueless and will talk to anyone about anything in any setting.

awdfan
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

I have to say I was really surprised to see this when I returned to the park last September after 15+ years. I know times change and I know things are different now, I just was really surprised that CM's no longer arrive at the park in their street clothes and change there as they once did. I also was surprised at how Disneyland chose to handle this. At another park, the employees went to/from work in their costumes but the park had them utilize a specific parking lot, away from and behind the park. The shuttle provided didn't go near the front entrance or anywhere guests would be, so unless you were in the back lot for whatever reason, you didn't see this. I was surprised to walk down Harbor and see various employees in costume going to & from work.

Amy