PDA

View Full Version : Picky, picky, picky!

Pages : [1] 2 3

jcruise86
05-09-2007, 09:28 PM
For Disneyland Freaks with APs who are a bit obsessive and perfectionist when it comes to Disneyland:
Here's a thread for you to list anything you noticed that annoyed you a little bit on your most recent visit.

Of course everything eventually breaks down and there are 50 right and wonderful things for every bad one. In fact, today I took my 22.5-month-old, and it turned out to be one of the best days OF MY LIFE.

Still (and again this thread is intended for minor, minor stuff):
1. Either some lights were out on Small World, or some of the scenes are VERY poorly lit. Examples, the animals in the African scene, and the four big birds when you enter the room that later features the hula dancers. And why is normal Small World so drab compared to the Christmas makeover? Anything BESIDES the facts that regular Small World has less to see, music some of us are tired of, and inferior lighting?

2. The closest gorilla on Jungle Cruise had cob webs on it! Bad show. They many have been created by an ambitious spider an hour before I went on, but given the wildly popular thread about the POTC crab, I'm not too embarrassed about asking for a follow up on something as gossamer as this! If you're up for the mission, consider your next Jungle Cruise cruise (in part) a gorilla cob web inspection, and report back to this thread.

3. On uncrowded days, I now prefer changing my daughter in the semi-private changing spaces in the men's rooms instead of in the Main Street baby center, with it's many beds. The men's rooms changing spaces have walls on three sides. My suggestion is that family-friendly Disneyland try to = the similar spaces in the family restroom at my local Nordstrum. (SP?) In short, get pads! ! ! Babies and toddlers deserve comfort. Bring my own? I'd prefer not to. I don't have to at the mall and I expect as much from Disneyland.

4. This is more an observation because I don't blame Disney. It seems like Disneyland is gradually removing those nice, large, thick, disposable changing paper towels that were in some of the restrooms--the one near Whitewater Snacks, for example. Maybe people were taking a few to go. These really were closer to paper TOWELS (at least large hand towels), than Bounty squares.

5. Get rid of the hand washing instructions in the restrooms. The "Dear Idiot" is no less insulting to guests just because it is implicit.

6. Bad DCA CM in Triton's Merry-Go-Round read warnings so unclearly that that they could not be understood.

Note: all of the above was inspired by my May 9, 2007 visit that was otherwise wonderful in every way!

jcruise86
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh yeah, one more minor Disneyland perfectionist gripe:

We left at the start of the 7 p.m. parade from the Small World area to beat the crowd out. CMs were inconsistent about maintaining a clear path for those wishing to exit.

There was a clog around the Storybook boat area and Main Street was a mess. Two Cms who were supposed to be keeping things moving on Main Street were socializing. My daughter and I got through pretty smoothly, but it was very frustrating for a woman we saw (and heard) who was trying to exit in her wheelchair.

I used to work on parade "guest control" during the parades, so I know when it's not being done well.

disneyperson
05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
On the other hand, we were there last weekend saw more examples of CMs going out of their ways to make the day special than ever before. I know that those kids were working long hours and not paid much, but no would have ever guessed. The CMs as a whole they were enthusiastic, helpful, funny ,and fun.

Thanks guys!

jcruise86
05-10-2007, 05:09 PM
On the other hand, we were there last weekend saw more examples of CMs going out of their ways to make the day special than ever before. I know that those kids were working long hours and not paid much, but no would have ever guessed. The CMs as a whole they were enthusiastic, helpful, funny ,and fun.

Thanks guys!
Disneyperson--where have you been? Liked your daughter's connection to Darth Maul! Yeah, I am surprised at how many wonderful CMs Disneyland attracts--like the Darth Maul actor. I just wanted a thread to report mostly tiny things like spider webs on the Jungle Cruise gorilla and dolls in the dark on Small World. A thread to report all the good things would be better, but so many things go right on each Disneyland trip that I would be writing 25 items after each visit. Also, dolls in the dark can be improved.

Bytebear
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
The only real pet peeve that I have is when I see unpainted railings. I hate seeing chipped paint. Sometimes it is so bad the rail might as well just be raw metal. I have the same issue with wooden boards missing from other rides, specifically the Matterhorn queue or the posts on Peter Pan. Or the "fake" bamboo where the plastic has worn off to the metal. Ugh...

jcruise86
05-16-2007, 10:03 PM
At the insistence of my (almost) 23-month-old daughter I went on Pooh five times today (Ahhhhhh!), and I noticed:
1. many cob webs on the pooh-aphernalia to the left, before where the cars enter the attraction
2. one of the light effects that is supposed so look like water from a giant pitcher (putting out a candle in the Heff. & Woozle room) was out, and
3. I noticed one bad employee on the attraction. She seemed to be too cool to work on the attraction, and later she was hanging over the attendance-taking machine after you exit the ride and moving her arms like she was freestyle swimming to make it seem like more people had been on the attraction. Weird.

None of these things got me down (again, this is the picky thread) and other than that it was once again (and I mean this) one of the best days of my life. On our 4th Pooh trip she (on my lap) turned, patted me on the chest and very lovingly said, "Daddy."

P.S. My wife has agreed that I can take my daughter 12 times a year. I don't take her every week, though I wouldn't mind 20 times a year!

jcruise86
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
To those who have been on the Jungle Cruise in the last week, does the front gorilla still have cobwebs on it?

Bytebear
05-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I noticed one bad employee on the attraction. She seemed to be too cool to work on the attraction, and later she was hanging over the attendance-taking machine after you exit the ride and moving her arms like she was freestyle swimming to make it seem like more people had been on the attraction. Weird.

I remember once riding Small World, and seeing a couple Cast Members walking aound one of the areas. Nothing ruins the magic of that ride more than seeing, what seemed like giants walking around the little animated dolls. I had visions of Godzilla stomping down all the buildings.

PanFan
05-17-2007, 01:37 PM
^We do try to avoid doing that as much as possible, but sometimes there is no other option. The main reason we go into IASW is to add or pull boats. Most of the path to the boat storage area is hidden, but some parts do pass through places where we can be seen by passing boats. Then we have to actually add or pull the boats from a platform right next to passing boats (adding them is between South America and the South Seas and pulling them is between Africa and South America). When I do it and I'm waiting for empty boats to pull, I sometimes will pretend like I'm a doll and pivot while waving and mouthing the words. There have been only two times when I have gone in the ride other than to pull or add boats or to evacuate. Once was because there was a bag of Doritos on the platform with the goats underneath the yodeler and I figured a few boats seeing me there would be better than continued complaints by those exiting the ride. The other time a girl dropped her shoe into the flume from the queue and we couldn't let her ride until it was found. So I promise if you see CM's in there, yes, it may not be the best show, but it is for a reason.

And I rode the Jungle Cruise last week, but was on the wrong side of the boat to see the gorilla clearly. From where I sat I didn't see any cobwebs, but I really didn't have that great of a view. I did try, though!

DianeM
05-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I believe that these signs are required by California law in any establishment that provides food. You'll have to take this up with somebody besides Disney management.

5. Get rid of the hand washing instructions in the restrooms. The "Dear Idiot" is no less insulting to guests just because it is implicit.

Chadsgal
05-18-2007, 09:17 AM
The last time I was there in 2005 the paint on the cars at Goofy's Gas in TT was all worn off. Anyone know if it is still that way?

jcruise86
05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
. . . .Of course everything eventually breaks down and there are 50 right and wonderful things for every bad one. . . Still (and again this thread is intended for minor, minor stuff):
1. Either some lights were out on Small World, or some of the scenes are VERY poorly lit. Examples, the animals in the African scene, and the four big birds when you enter the room that later features the hula dancers.
. . . . the above was inspired by my May 9, 2007 visit that was otherwise wonderful in every way!
May 23, 2007 visit update:
Small World: Hyenas still in the dark, but the four birds are now lit.

Pooh: both water pitchers are pouring again.

New picky observation: on Storybook Land I noticed that about half of the paint on the mini Toad Hall sign is worn off.

jcruise86
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
P.S. Sorry that so far I've dominated this thread, but--hey--it keeps me from annoying people (as much) on other threads. :)
One more observation: when we used to make our summer trip to WDW in the early, mid, and late 1970s I always noticed how primitive the audio-animatronic lip movements were. Well today I saw the "state of the art" Jack Sparrow at the end of POTC, and--over 30 years later--those imagineers have made embarrassingly little progress. Why is it so difficult for them to get this perfect! Can't they have (or bring in) one person to work on lips till they get this right? :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
None of these things got me down (again, this is the picky thread) and other than that it was once again (and I mean this) one of the best days of my life. On our 4th Pooh trip she (on my lap) turned, patted me on the chest and very lovingly said, "Daddy."

P.S. My wife has agreed that I can take my daughter 12 times a year. I don't take her every week, though I wouldn't mind 20 times a year!

Love this! Can you talk to my DH. He would rather we take the kids once every 12 years!

jcruise86
05-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Love this! Can you talk to my DH. He would rather we take the kids once every 12 years!
By far the most helpful thread for me was when (circa Oct. of 2006) my wife and I were debating how often I could take our daughter. MANY bright Mouseplaneteers eloquently shared their passion for Disneyland and convinced my professor wife of the value of our trips there.
Here it is: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=61365&highlight=educational

Koala Gurl
05-24-2007, 08:37 AM
May 23, 2007 visit update:
Small World: Hyenas still in the dark, but the four birds are now lit.

I was there on the 21st, and thought that area looked darker than normal.

I believe that these signs are required by California law in any establishment that provides food. You'll have to take this up with somebody besides Disney management.

I think jcruise was referring to the silly instructions that are sponsored by some company. They aren't the signs you see in restaurant bathrooms.

OK, my nit picky thing...full trashcans (full enough that the door is open an you can see the trash.) I saw a few (usually very hard to find) on the 21st. I guess working at another theme park usually makes me notice this stuff.

jcruise86
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Here's a picky complaint about a type of guest--they angry photo artist at work.

A parent was standing on one side of the Adventureland entrance (under the Adventureland sign) with her family on the other. It was crowded and every two seconds she scowled dramatically sighed that guests were entering and exiting Adventureland.

She apparently wanted everyone to stop for 20 seconds or so for her to take her picture. I received a stern frown and an angry, sarcastic "That's OK!" from her, but it didn't bring me down the slightest bit because
1. I didn't see her before (unintentional "mistake"),
2. she had a digital camera (no film lost) and
3. it is unrealistic to expect tourists in a happy or tired Disney daze to constantly make sure that every area is free from serious photographers.

I think that even the most considerate guest who visits Disneyland regularly will accidently walk into a photo at least once, just as the most sensitive animal rights activist will probably accidently step in an insect or two during a long hike through the woods.

pisces
05-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Lots of Christmas and New Years stuff, with me.

The timing of when they decide to put up certain decorations, and take 'em down ie...the Snowglobe etc..

The Big Christmas tree on Main Street was too thin. This year, the presents underneath the tree were not unwrapped on the exact day of Christmas. Goofy/Santa belongs at the flagpole with sleds. The candy canes, what little there were--- weren't big enough. They don't wrap enough lights around each tree at the hub.

Sleeping Beauty Castle, this year, was inadequate for New Years Eve...they didn't even have a countdown clock, and didn't flash anything on the side of it, after midnight. Only a measly two characters came out on the ledge.....with like...a dozen "ambassadors" who nobody was familiar with.

And many many others, which don't come to mind offhand....but are always simmering under the surface....

Misc: The missing candles at night at French Quarter.

jcruise86
05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Here's a picky complaint about a type of guest--they angry photo artist at work. . .
"THE" (not "they"). . .and I expect perfection from Disney! :rolleyes:

neverlander
05-26-2007, 03:10 PM
GCH? BYOTP!
Okay, I'm sure the rest of the resort does not supply with Charmin Ultra, but it would be great if the Grand would provide a little softness for the bucks! It's rough enough for me to bring my own!:geek:

jcruise86
05-26-2007, 04:17 PM
GCH? BYOTP!
Okay, I'm sure the rest of the resort does not supply with Charmin Ultra, but it would be great if the Grand would provide a little softness for the bucks! It's rough enough for me to bring my own!:geek:
They decided against extra-soft TP as part of the "roughin' it in the wilderness" motif. If fact, at first they just provided leaves, but GCH guests were embarrassed that CMs were able to identify them by their scent.

Koala Gurl
05-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Ok, another thing (and I am sure there are many who would disagree...but oh well, it is MY peeve...)

Stroller accommodations on the tram. The line for the tram spaces that accomodate strollers is so long! (usually because one party of 10 with one stroller will take up the entire section...another rant!)

I realize that these were intended primarily for wheelchairs, and it is a nice bonus that strollers can use them. But I usually end up walking. I guess it really isn't a peeve as much as a funny little thing.

A more "real" peeve...that the parking structure has 2 (slow) elevators for all of the stroller / wheelchair guests.

OK, now I am on a roll!

Why aren't there any "family" restrooms? I often go with just my 2 kids (2 and 8 months.) I would love to be able to take us all into the restroom (since my beast of a stroller is pretty tight in the small restrooms.) I have often skipped going mainly due to this annoyance.

jcruise86
05-26-2007, 08:04 PM
. . . Stroller accommodations on the tram.
[1.] The line for the tram spaces that accomodate strollers is so long! . . .I usually end up walking. I guess it really isn't a peeve as much as a funny little thing.

[2.] A more "real" peeve...that the parking structure has 2 (slow) elevators for all of the stroller / wheelchair guests.

[3.] Why aren't there any "family" restrooms? I often go with just my 2 kids (2 and 8 months.) I would love to be able to take us all into the restroom (since my beast of a stroller is pretty tight in the small restrooms.) I have often skipped going mainly due to this annoyance.

Koala Girl,

I took the liberty of numbering your post, and then signing you up for both a time share and my religion. :~D

1. We usually walk too, which is energizing and empowering. But on Wednesday my toddler wanted to take the tram, and was able to stand in one place for a few seconds while I tossed in (into one of the normal rows) our three bags, then her, then myself and the folded stroller. The tram CM said, "That's the way to do it!" We took up the whole row and I took about 30 seconds longer than most other rows to load, but it was worth it for my daughter.

2. Good call on the parking structure elevators! I've never waited that long, but Disney should have built another elevator.

3. There IS a family restroom in DCA and one in Disneyland, and they're listed on the free guide/map for families with toddlers. In Disneyland it's near the Mexican restaurant, and in DCA it's near the jumping fountain playground area near the Flicks Fair. But I would like the parks to have about 25 more of these! And, again, I'd like every changing counter to be padded. While I'm at it, I would like to have about 200 full-time employees bringing all adults complimentary drinks like in Vegas, but I digress.

Koala Gurl
05-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Ooh, that would be perfect w/ the free drinks. ;) My new happiest thing...they now have the full bar in Ariel's Grotto. Now, that is officially the Happiest Dining on Earth...my 2 yo DD is entertained, I get a sit down meal and an adult beverage, and the price can't be beat when you compare what you actually get at the meal (appetizer, entree, dessert AND free refills on soda.)

For #1...I really don't mind the walk (heck, we walk all day long, what is another 10 minutes); but my DD always wants to ride the tram (but not wait for it.) My stroller is too big to be folded easily (especially if I am by myself). Soon, DD will be old enough, perhaps I can bring a single and a rider board or something.

#3...There ARE family restrooms??? That is great! Do you know exactly where?

Tinkermommy
05-26-2007, 09:06 PM
They decided against extra-soft TP as part of the "roughin' it in the wilderness" motif. If fact, at first they just provided leaves, but GCH guests were embarrassed that CMs were able to identify them by their scent.

That was FUNNY!!! :p