PDA

View Full Version : Good Neighbor Hotels

jacandjan
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I recently noticed that the Anaheim Del Sol is now a Good Neighbor Hotel.

What I would like to know is, what does it take to be put on disney's Good Neighbor Hotel list ? Does this mean that the Del Sol has possibly been upgraded ? Are there certian advantages to booking with a Good Neighbor Hotel over a hotel that is not on their list ?

Thanks

disneyhound
05-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I think it allows the hotel to be listed on Disney's website, and booked through Disney's vacation plans. Don't know if it ever refers to quality, since the Good Neighbor Hotels run the gambit of quality (stars) from economy to superior. But, I could be wrong... :rolleyes:

cirquelover
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Are there certian advantages to booking with a Good Neighbor Hotel over a hotel that is not on their list ?

Thanks

Other than you can get a package deal through Disney. The only benefit I know of is that you can buy park tickets at the front desk of those hotels.

I always price my package through Disney and then try it on my own to see which is the beter deal for me.

Malcon10t
05-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I *believe* they pay for the right to be listed as a GNH. And they have to "give" a certain number of rooms to WDTC to sell. Has nothing to do with quality.

mkraemer
05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I heard recently that the Del Sol is now a sister property to the Desert Inn and Suites, which is next door.

The Del Sol has changed hands several times in the last decade or so...

erica84
05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I recently noticed that the Anaheim Del Sol is now a Good Neighbor Hotel.

What I would like to know is, what does it take to be put on disney's Good Neighbor Hotel list ? Does this mean that the Del Sol has possibly been upgraded ? Are there certian advantages to booking with a Good Neighbor Hotel over a hotel that is not on their list ?

Thanks

I was told that the Good Neighbor hotels are owned by Disney in some way (not sure if that's true or not). I guess it just gives a "seal of approval" that the hotel/motel is upstanding. I believe the only advantage is that you can book these hotels through the Walt Disney Travel Company. I haven't heard very many good things about the Del Sol so I'm hoping that by making them a Good Neighbor hotel they'll spruce it up a bit! :)

Malcon10t
05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I was told that the Good Neighbor hotels are owned by Disney in some way (not sure if that's true or not). I guess it just gives a "seal of approval" that the hotel/motel is upstanding. I believe the only advantage is that you can book these hotels through the Walt Disney Travel Company. I haven't heard very many good things about the Del Sol so I'm hoping that by making them a Good Neighbor hotel they'll spruce it up a bit! :)
Actually, Disney does not own the Hilton, the Hyatt, Howard Johnsons, or Marriot, so we know this is not true. The hotel must agree to set aside rooms at a discounted price to WDTC. If the above was true, the Jolly Roger would be in much better condition.....

sjcivilady
05-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a hard time believing they would make that hotel a good neighbor hotel - it definitely needs some sprucing up. Anyone stay there in the past couple months? I was just there last December and I would consider it a 1*. I would only stay there on a quick trip, with really good rates, when I really wanted to be directly across from the park. I also stayed at the Desert Inn a few months earlier, and it was definitely a step up, so maybe they'll be upgrading the Del Sol.

mkraemer
05-11-2007, 06:52 AM
I have a hard time believing they would make that hotel a good neighbor hotel - it definitely needs some sprucing up. Anyone stay there in the past couple months? I was just there last December and I would consider it a 1*. I would only stay there on a quick trip, with really good rates, when I really wanted to be directly across from the park. I also stayed at the Desert Inn a few months earlier, and it was definitely a step up, so maybe they'll be upgrading the Del Sol.

Interesting. I haven't stayed at (what is now) the Del Sol for quite a few years. It was basic and adequate at the time (and available, which counted for a lot right then!). It has changed hands, and a year or so ago, there was a shift in ownership to the Del Sol and there was a makeover. Prices were astronomical for rooms. I would have thought that it was a very spiffy makeover from what they were charging. Now, it seems that the company that owns the Desert Inn has got the Del Sol too, and the prices are more in line with the Desert Inn (which, itself, has had several upgrades over the past 10 years).

Heavens...I must go there too much to know all these kinds of details...

jacandjan
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Thank you all for your replies !

We have already booked a trip with our Grandkids through Getaway Today and are staying at the Del Sol. The reviews in the review section of this website made it sound basic but most seemed to be happy with it. I hope there has been a general sprucing up since it was sold.

Since Good Neighbor Hotels can sell tickets does that mean that we can exchange our Getaway Today Vouchers at the hotel or do we have to go to will call ??

Thanks Again

jaydoe
05-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Did the Del Sol used to be a Days Inn like 10 or so years ago?? I remember staying at a Days Inn right behind Denny's and the only one there is the Del Sol?????

emmah
05-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Since Good Neighbor Hotels can sell tickets does that mean that we can exchange our Getaway Today Vouchers at the hotel or do we have to go to will call ??

when I was there in January, I swapped my getaway voucher at the ticket window when i arrived, not at Will Call. I think any window will do, but I believe it has to be at the park (or a DLR hotel if you are staying there), not at a good neighbour hotel desk.

minniemom
05-15-2007, 09:08 AM
when I was there in January, I swapped my getaway voucher at the ticket window when i arrived, not at Will Call. I think any window will do, but I believe it has to be at the park (or a DLR hotel if you are staying there), not at a good neighbour hotel desk.

Yes, this is true. Getaway vouchers have to be redeemed at the ticket windows at the park, not at your hotel. We have found that if we get into town the night before we are set to enter the park, this is the best time to trade the vouchers. The lines are shorter at night than they are in the morning. Plus it is fun to visit DTD!!!