PDA

View Full Version : Restful vacation at Disneyland?

SeansMom
05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I am by no means a DL newby, but I don't think I'd ever come close to calling our trips to visit Mickey as restful. We are strongly considering a vacation the end of this month, rather a last minute deal where providence has come together to make it possible. However, I know what we all need, more than anything, is rest.

So...how do you make a DL vacation restful? Is it really even possible? I'm having a hard time envisioning NOT getting to the park early for fewer crowds/more fastpasses, etc. On the other hand...I could sure use some Disney Magic right about now.

Ideas???????????????

DisneylandForever
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
When I think of restful at DL, I think of sleeping in and not riding many rides. If you got up as late as you wanted, maybe laid by the pool a bit, went into the Park (grabbing a FP straight away) and had a nice meal, hit every shop you wanted to, went to the Tiki Room, rode the Mark Twain, watched some shorts in the Main Street Cinema, visited the Disney Gallery, rode whatever ride you got a FP for, people-watched, etc., that to me sounds pretty "relaxing". I have done that myself before. One time I went to the Park (while my cousin napped) with some paper and a pen and sat in front of the castle and wrote/drew for hours. It was pretty relaxing! Just being there is a stress-reliever for me.

adriennek
05-09-2007, 02:58 PM
So...how do you make a DL vacation restful? Is it really even possible? I'm having a hard time envisioning NOT getting to the park early for fewer crowds/more fastpasses, etc. On the other hand...I could sure use some Disney Magic right about now.

Ideas???????????????

I absolutely think you can but you have to have your mind SET for it before you go.

For example - get up, get the park early for fewer crowds and more fastpasses. Then leave at lunchtime for a few hours.

Go back to your hotel and take a nap.

Stop at one of the bars at the resort - even if you're not a drinker! Go to Hearthstone Lounge and order a soda or a mocktail or juice or coffee or tea or something and just relax in the lounge. Even if you're not staying on property you can take a break in the GCH lobby or lounges.

Take a book with you in your backpack - or else some knitting or whatever you do to relax - and read while you relax in a lobby or lounge.

Choose a property with a relaxing pool or jacuzzi you could utilize during that break. Or instead of leaving in the afternoon, don't stay out all night and soak in the jacuzzi in the evenings.

Instead of trying to do EVERYTHING, make a list of things you MUST do and prioritize it. Figure how many days you'll be at the resort and schedule a few things off your list for each day. Do the CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT things on the first day to reduce your anxiety that you won't be able to do it ALL.

What drives you more crazy - standing in long lines for food or having to stick to a schedule? Which would relax you more - to just eat when you're hungry wherever you happen to be? Or to have priority seatings and reservations made so that when it's time to eat, you know you won't have to wait long or have to make a decision about where?

Those are some off the top of my head thoughts.

Adrienne

Disney_Nut
05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
It's definitely possible to have a restful trip. Going in the off-season is part of it. I take breaks throughout the day. Grab a snack and people-watch. Avoid congested areas like FL, AL and NOS when F! is finished. Even when standing in line, instead of focusing on how long the line is, I'll check out all the details that surround me. Looking for hidden Mickeys, and just taking it all in.

adriennek
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Here's another thought:

Split. Up.

If someone has to do a ride that you can't stand, or that isn't on your MUST DO list, send them without you!

My very favorite ride is Soarin'. It has a single rider line. It's much easier and more serene for me to get in that line alone, actually. I've had some of my most peaceful times at DLR when I've been alone. :eek:

Adrienne

Burnt Toast
05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
There's a reason why I used to say to Guests when they used to tell me about how stressed and busy their vacation was...

"Well, welcome to Disneyland... where you need a vacation AFTER the vacation!"

That usually got a few laughs.

Bytebear
05-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Walk, do not run. Better yet, stroll. Go around the park in a general circle or meander rather than hopping from land to land in a rush to get from one attraction to another. Use fastpasses but don't be a slave to the machines. Don't expect to do everything in one day. Rest before you get tired, eat before you get hungry.

simnia
05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I've had "restful trips" to both DL and WDW. For me the difference is I'm not trying to get in every ride or to "get my money's worth". I have only about 3 rides in mind I really want to see, those are easily achievable, there is no hour-by-hour plan for the day, and the rest of the time after those 3 rides I consider free time to stroll around, take pictures, and maybe catch a few more rides if their lines are down or if the urge really strikes. Of course it helps if you have a 3-day pass or so, so that you know you'll have plenty of time for other rides later.

HTanner
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I went to DL with one of my best friends right before my wedding. Boy, did I need a stress reliever. Before we got there, we went shopping at Target. LOL!

Anyhow, we talked about our "must-see" rides - I think we had 3 or 4 we really wanted to go on. So, we made it a point of trying to get on those rides. Other than that, we just wandered around - we went shopping, had a nice lunch, talked, sat when we were tired, drank when we were thirsty - and when it got hot and crowded, we went back to her place and had a popsicle and nap.

It was a lot of fun. DL does NOT have to be hectic - just set a slower pace and know you can always come back. You will NEVER do EVERYTHING - so slow it down and just enjoy the moments you DO get to have.

neverlander
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
As far as your time away from the park, I would suggest a room with a balcony and a view, if possible. Bring the small items you are accustomed to at home. (My Starbuck's and dh's Bran Buds help start the day with a sense of familiarity.) And order room service.
I find it very relaxing sitting on our balcony above CA's entrance at the GCH. I absorb the magic while my family rests. We also enjoy ordering room service and eating out on the patio.
Around the resort, explore! We go very seldom, but I always wish I had enough time to check out the resort grounds and all the cool shops.
I understand you don't want to overplan, but having priority seating arrangements made ahead of time can alleviate some of the stress of deciding where to eat and waiting for seating.
Enjoy!

Leofoenget
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I go out of my way to plan a trip when it;'s very quiet. I agree, going in the middle of July with the heat and crowds does not even come close to restfull, but going off season can be. It all depends on what you want to give up to avoid the crowds

DisneyDustin22
05-09-2007, 05:53 PM
For me, just being there in general is relaxing. :)

mistofviolets
05-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Don't worry about doing everything, or "getting your money's worth".

I'd plan to go early...at opening when it is calm and relatively quiet. Then go back to the hotel for a leisurely afternoon...and go back in the afternoon for atmosphere; not to fight the crowds. :)

Malcon10t
05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
When we go, we generally do a semi restful trip. We do longer periods so we don't feel we need to get it all done. We sleep in, head to the park when we feel like it, ride what we feel like, enjoy just being in the park, and take things slow. Some day the kids do "power rides", somedays we just do the Mark Twain, JC a few times, and my daughter will kick back in NOS with a book and I people watch.

lofosho
05-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I agree with Adrienne. The best way to relax is to stay i n a DL hotel. Wake up early and go get in all of the big rides in the morning when the lines are short, then go back to the hotel and sleep/swim in the afternoons when the park is crowded and hot, and then go back to DL in the evenings when it cools down, and stay until after the fireworks. Repeat as necessary. :D

adriennek
05-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree with Adrienne. The best way to relax is to stay i n a DL hotel.

Actually, that second part we disagree on ;)

I think that the DL Hotels are overpriced for what they offer. For me, the price of the hotel would keep me from relaxing. :eek: ;)

But I think there are some great alternatives available - Hojos (has good pools and nice rooms - many with balconies or patios,) Marriott - not inexpensive, not as close as Hojos but I like this hotel if you can get a deal rate. And there are some decent motels on Harbor and some other pretty good hotels in the area - The hotels up Harbor near Chapman are getting lots of positive feedback here. You'd probably need to use the shuttle service but the hotels sound nice.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
05-10-2007, 09:38 AM

I think that the DL Hotels are overpriced for what they offer. For me, the price of the hotel would keep me from relaxing. :eek: ;)

But I think there are some great alternatives available - Hojos (has good pools and nice rooms - many with balconies or patios,) Marriott - not inexpensive, not as close as Hojos but I like this hotel if you can get a deal rate. And there are some decent motels on Harbor and some other pretty good hotels in the area - The hotels up Harbor near Chapman are getting lots of positive feedback here. You'd probably need to use the shuttle service but the hotels sound nice.

Adrienne
For us, the Residence Inn on Clementine. Close enough to go at a moments notice, big enough to relax and enjoy. It was probably my favorite location yet. They serve a HOT breakfast (which we brought all the stuff back to our room and remodeled for us) and its just comfortable.

annabelsgmom
05-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree any hotel that is part of the Shuttle service is great, as long as they have good resturants.
When we go to DL we start our mornings at the River Belle Cafe for Breakfast its pretty much the same price as Dennys, mark Twain is my favorite we then hit Big Thunder, visit the cows and then just wander. We have 2 things that are a requirement, Buzz lightyear ride, I love sending the photos to my family and ToT multi time if I can get away with it. Pin Trading of Course and searching for hidden Mickeys. This is probley oid had to other but the last one we found was out side the entrance to CA on ground behind the letters made up of broken glass tiles. I love being an AP that we can come and go as we please, go back to our hotel for naps, swims, or dinner. We have even broken up our day to go to a movie in Downtown Disney on the Monarail. I Love DL and I hope one day to get to go to DW..

lofosho
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Adrienne

Oops! I was referring to the naps in the afternoon!;)

Clotho
05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
My last trip with hubby was our first concsiously-planned "relaxing DL vacation". And it was a great success! We took a 4 night trip and made it all about strolling, taking in details, resting, sleeping in, people-watching, and photography. Now, this is harder for us than others. We only get down there every 2 or 3 years. For people who can go all the time, finding relaxation time is a lot easier, IMO. Taking a couple hours to read books in the park is well and good...if you get to come back in 6 months.

So as someone who is less frequent a visitor, I can attest it can be done. We knew our "must dos", and we never waited in too long a line for them. We would just stroll past to check wait times, and keep going if it was longer than 20 minutes (we went in off-season, September, which helps).

We grabbed the trivia quests from the VMK booth, and strolled arouned doing those for a while--we love trivia, and it was such a fun way to explore the parks on no major agenda. 'Hey, we're in Adventureland. Let's gra that trivia card ad see what we can finish!'

One day was all photography day, and we took our cameras and snapped pix, taking in all we saw. We got some fun pics of kids hamming up pictures with their parents, couples sharing quiet moments on a bench, and of course classic scenes.

We slept in every day, stayed up late and hung out in our hotel room watching HBO movies...it was fabulous.

avalosn
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Just chill and take your time. Sometimes I go and get don't get on ANY rides at all...other times I go and get on a lot of stuff. But when I stay there with my fam, we always just kick back and do whatever. We go to the park and if it's crowded, no big deal, we just take our time and do what we can. When we stay in the summer, we also don't really go to the park in the daytime because it gets so hot and it just makes it all the more exhausting. We may get up and go in the morning and then go to the pool by 11am or we just hang out at the pool until it's time to get cleaned up for dinner. Oh yea, and we chill at the Lost Bar until it closes, talking and stuff. Just take it slow and don't rush an agenda, let the moments happen.:D

SeansMom
05-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks to all the wonderful responses!

Can you believe this...as much as I LOVE Disneyland, we're just going to take a few quite days at the beach.

I will, however, incorporate some of these ideas into our next trip. For some reason, we never really take a slow day or two, and I think we'd come back much more relaxed if we did.