PDA

View Full Version : DCA- A Joke?

Pages : [1] 2

tommorwlandfan
06-16-2002, 07:09 PM
I went to Disney's California Adventure today and this is what I found:

A Million People

California Scream'n, Disney's Animation, Superstar Limo, Millionaire Play It all closed hours before closing.

Complete lack of CM's

Another dissapointing visit

Before a third theme park is built, get DCA RIGHT.

MonorailMan
06-16-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by tommorwlandfan

While I agree with this, I'm sick of the DCA hate threads.

In fact you may say I hate DCA hate threads. :)

mousey_girl
06-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

While I agree with this, I'm sick of the DCA hate threads.

In fact you may say I hate DCA hate threads. :)

Amen.

Disney Nick
06-16-2002, 07:32 PM
I went to Disney's California Adventure today and this is what I found:

A Million People
This is bad for Disney how? After the supposed lagging attendance, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

California Scream'n, Disney's Animation, Superstar Limo, Millionaire Play It all closed hours before closing.
Disney's Animation is often closed before closing time, there just isn't the demand that late. Millionaire is a show, and the show times always end 2 hours or so before the park ends, nothing new here. Again not the demand for it. It'd be like saying that the Buzz show at Disneyland was closed before the rest of the park.. HOW DARE THEY ! ;). Supserstar Limo is down for an indefinite period of time and it's listed on the rides under rehab right now, so another non-suprise. The only real complaint you have is California Scream'n, but it was probably a technical problem, so you can't fault Disney too much for this one.

Complete lack of CM's
You didn't provide too many specifics, so I can't really comment on it.

Another dissapointing visit
Sorry you were disappointed, but people still enjoy this place, including me.

They aren't even planning the third theme park yet, it's still in environmental-impact phase, and at the earliest would be ready in 10 years. So it seems like they are trying to do exactly what you propose :D.

Iceman
06-16-2002, 08:03 PM
Well at least in this DCA-bashing thread the basher admits there were lots of people in the park! That's a step in the right direction!

Darkbeer
06-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Having a "million people" in DCA is BAD for Disney, they are breaking LOTS of fire codes, and could be closed down by the city:rolleyes:

merlinjones
06-16-2002, 08:22 PM
>> DCA- A Joke? <<

yes.

>> While I agree with this, I'm sick of the DCA hate threads. <<

So go to ADD instead, where they won't tolerate open discussion.

MonorailMan
06-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
So go to ADD instead, where they won't tolerate open discussion.

I'm just trying to say, confine all DCA bashing to one single thread. :)

Disneyfreak
06-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Its very sad because most of those new guests wont be going back there ever again because of the bad experience. In the end once many people go there, years later their wont be anyone in DCA. If they can get tot build, and Rock n Roll Roller Coaster Built they will be doing better at pleasing the guests.

Ace
06-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Joke: Eisner gets tens of millions of dollars (not last year, but before that...) and we get..... Tommorowland '98?

cstephens
06-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Complete lack of CM's

I don't believe you one bit.

Uncle Dick
06-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Complete lack of CM's
I also find this hard to believe considering that I was in DCA today and saw numerous CMs. In fact, I was one of them. :eek: Specifics would be nice (such as "Only one window was open at Award Wieners" or "There weren't enough crowd control CMs during the parades").

Darkbeer
06-17-2002, 12:57 AM
But, did you see the million guests????????:rolleyes:

justagrrl
06-17-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Its very sad because most of those new guests wont be going back there ever again because of the bad experience.

Wow - pretty nifty that you can speak for most of the new guests.

Strange enough, the people I've talked to about DCA (that aren't from this board) all seem to have really had a good time and will be going back.

It must be a different set of new guests.

...and once again... it's really easy not to go if you don't like it. I don't like basketball. - I don't buy tickets to basketball games...I don't watch it on TV. I don't go and then complain about how much it sucked. I don't watch it and complain that basketball sucks. Of course not - I don't go...and I don't watch.

Last time I checked it's a free country.

If you really want to make a statement, quit your bitchin' and put your money where you mouth is by not going. That'll really show 'em. :rolleyes: ;) :D

lilblckrncloud
06-17-2002, 08:35 AM
My husband's friend from out of town was visiting with his family (wife and three kids, ages 10, 7 and 6) last week and was spending 3 days at the resort. It was the first time the wife and kids had ever been there, and I was amazed to discover that they actually preferred DCA! They said they found Disneyland to be "boring, dumb, and way too crowded" and they all agreed that the rides were not worth the wait. I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that, but I found it very interesting!

tommorwlandfan
06-17-2002, 08:50 AM
I DON'T HATE DCA, I JUST HATE RIDES CLOSED EARLY, NO FASTPASS SYSTEM WORKING, AND TOO MANY PEOPLE. WHO DOES? I ACTUALLY LIKE DCA, WHEN STUFF IS OPEN.

Techie7
06-17-2002, 11:07 AM
I DON'T HATE DCA, I JUST HATE RIDES CLOSED EARLY, NO FASTPASS SYSTEM WORKING, AND TOO MANY PEOPLE. WHO DOES? I ACTUALLY LIKE DCA, WHEN STUFF IS OPEN.

Please don't type in all CAPS. I agree that DCA has a lot of nice things. When you visited the park was the entire FastPass system down? I have never been to the park when none of the machines have worked. In fact I have never seen any ride in which all of the machines are non functioning. While they may have given out the full amount of tickets for the day they rarely all run out of FastPasses at DCA. Please clarify if ALL of the FastPasses were not working or if you were unable to get a FastPass.

As for attractions not staying open make sure to check the signs in the entrance plaza which will list rides that will not be opening for the entire day (Superstar Limo). Other shows are just that and will have specified times. Consult a Guidemap or ask a castmember for times and plan to get to those areas when they are available. As with any theme park attractions can break down from time to time.

WDWalways
06-17-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Its very sad because most of those new guests wont be going back there ever again because of the bad experience. In the end once many people go there, years later their wont be anyone in DCA. If they can get tot build, and Rock n Roll Roller Coaster Built they will be doing better at pleasing the guests.

Why do you assume new guests will not be going back again and say that it's because of the bad experience they've had??? You have no idea what kind of experience guests have there and I certainly do not think people leave DCA thinking/saying "I will never go there again!!"

TheMur
06-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Just got back from a visit with my two kids (11 & 14.) They love DCA! Here are their "must dos" which means multiple rides if possible:
California Screamin'
Soaring
Mulholland Madness
GRR
Animation exhibit
Golden Dreams

With park hopping we just consider DCA as "part of" Disneyland.

My biggest gripes-
Still not enough (but as a "land" at Disneyland it's ok)
NO SHADE -

AT 11 and 14 my kids are trying to maximize "thrills." That's ok with me.

Just went on a graduation event to Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara
Expensive $45 ticket 10 and older
Marginally interesting rides (even on the thrill side)
Not even fun to just sit and hang out.

I would still drive 5 hours to Anaheim to go to DLR rather than spend a day at the Nor Cal "theme parks"

The Mur

merlinjones
06-17-2002, 02:44 PM
11 and 14 year olds liked California Dreams????

malin
06-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Its funny I asked a few months a go in a thread what the problem is with DCA.And everyone who replyed did not have a bad word against the park.I understand its been attacked for its lack of theming.Well from photos I have seen of the Grissley Peak area I think the theming looks great.I understand its got a few carnaval rides.I can name quite a few other parks with carnaval rides.From what I have heard the shows are very entertaining especially Blast.So whats the problem with DCA.I want to know?Because I can't work it out.

stan4d_steph
06-17-2002, 04:10 PM
DCA has its good and bad points. On my first visit there last year, on a one-day reduced-price admission (before I got my AP) my first impression was that it is a bit schizophrenic. Coming from the perspective of someone who had been to WDW more than DL up to that point, it seemed like the designers had taken various parts from the 4 WDW parks and stuck them together and the end result wasn't particularly effective. You have a Hollywood area reminiscent of Disney-MGM Studios, Bountiful Valley Farm, which is a bit like Epcot in its educational bent, and then the thrill rides. I also thought that Paradise Pier was hideously out of place. I do not normally associate midway games with Disney, more like the county fair or some generic amusement park. I expect more from a Disney ride: themed queues, a back story, something more than just the standard fare. To me it is the difference between the Maliboomer and the Tower of Terror. On the surface, they give a similar experience: freefall, albeit the Maliboomer shoots you up. However, there is nothing more to the Maliboomer. No themed queue, no little nuances that give something the Disney touch. ToT at Disney MGM on the other hand is one of the best rides I have ever seen. Great themed queue, intriguing backstory, bellhops that camp it up... I could go on and on about this ride. Heck, I did a presentation on it as an exercise for a public speaking class one time!

However, I did find enough that interested me to buy the 2-park pass when it was still a separate option. I have found things that interest me, and the food options there are much better than those at DL, in my opinion. However, it would be nice if they opened some of the options that intrigue me. I never got to eat at the Farmers Market or Maliburrito. I don't really understand why these are never open. I guess due to lower attendance numbers in the park.

There are some areas that are well themed. I really enjoy the area around GRR. I like the animation building and Soarin' is great, even with the giant dust balls that can occasionally appear. Currently, there aren't enough attractions to spread out the crowds on busy days, so the lines can get very long at the popular rides (GRR, CA Screamin', Soarin').

I think the reason some people are disappointed with DCA is because it could have been so much more from the start. Designs and ideas for different versions of the second park were scrapped due to budgetary reasons and instead of the best Imagineering had to offer, we got the average, and some would say less than average. The park also is limited in ideas due to it's theme: California. New Disney movies and products that don't fit with the theme seem forced. We're getting the Lilo and Stitch Ohana Luau, which sounds like fun, but it's happening in DCA! Last I checked, Hawaii was a different state from CA. There are probably expansion possibilities that I haven't thought of, but it seems to me that when you narrow your vision so much, it makes it more difficult to allow artists to be free in their imagining of new ideas.

That's my opinion on DCA. I enjoy it, but wish it could be more.

stinkerbell
06-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Off topic, but I have to say this~~ that was a beautiful post, Steph, reminiscent of the type of posts that I miss on MP! :)

We liked DCA for various reasons~~

1. Friendly CM's
2. Thrill rides for my seven year old thrill seeker.
3. It was clean.
4. Short lines. (Nice for us, not so nice for Disney)
5. Electrical Parade.
6. Paradise Pier was beautiful at night, esp. at sunset.
7. Animation Building.
8. Muppets.
9. It was new.
10. It was different.
11. Grizzly River Run, Soarin, Screamin, Mulholland......

The reasons we didn't~~

1. My four year old was hot and bored at Paradise Pier.

I, too, like to look at DCA as a "land" and as that, I really liked it. As a separate theme park, it seems incomplete somehow. I've posted this in various earlier DCA threads in more detail, but this is the gyst of it....... ;)

Iceman
06-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Yes, Steph, I too appreciated your honest and balanced opinion!

A couple of comments, though. Disney actually has had carnival games at WDW for over a decade. Both Pleasure Island and the Boardwalk have these at night, and the Animal Kingdom also just added a carny area. I'm not saying it's right or I agree with it, but midway games are not new to Disney at DCA.

And you mentioned that one difference between Maliboomer and ToT is that Maliboomer shoots you up. Actually, ToT does too, and it also makes you fall faster than a free-fall by projecting the elevator downward. A minor point, yes--and I am in NO WAY trying to disparage ToT, one of my favorite rides anywhere ever.

WDWalways
06-18-2002, 06:30 AM
... that more than one person said they look as DCA as just a new "land" to DL -- that I do not agree with. If I spent an entire day in just one land at DL or any of the Magic Kingdoms it would take 3 or 4 days to do the whole park!!

Also, saying Midway games is something you find at generic theme parks is also inaccurate -- like Iceman said WDW has had them and just added more to AK -- Six Flags parks have them -- Universal Hollywood and Florida have them -- and plenty of people do enjoy them so what's the problem?? Disney has arcades in almost every resort as well as some of their parks and no one has a problem with this and it's the same concept.

Once again, when I hear the reasons people aren't thrilled with DCA it's never a reason that I think is justified -- mostly people are grasping at straws to bash DCA IMO.