PDA

View Full Version : Knives at Disneyland

smanrick51
05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I was just searching through the posts and I was trying to find what Disneyland's policy is on carry pockets knives at the Park. I could not find any clear policy on it and I was wondering if anybody here might have the answer.

I often carry a pocket knife while at the park for the convenience it brings when opening packages and things of that nature. I started bringing my smaller knife when a friend was turned away from a security checkpoint and told to put his knife in the car. Was his knife too large, or was he not supposed to have it at all?

Besides, I just purchased a beautiful Swiss Army knife/money clip that I would hate to leave at home...

simnia
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't know the answer, but if your friend's knife was so large that they could actually see it, then it must've really been large! I carry a pocket knife with about a 3-4" blade at all times and I go through the security checkpoints 2-4 times a week, and they don't check for or say anything about knives. They seem to be only interested in opening bags/parcels/backpacks. In Washington, D.C., however, I was turned away from a couple places because of my pocket knife, but that's because you have to empty your pockets and go through metal scans of various sorts, whereupon they can see exactly what's in your pockets. Fortunately, Disneyland is not that crazy... yet.

Andrew
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
There are no metal detectors. If the Cast Members working the "security" checkpoint see a knife, they will turn you away. If they see a belt pack that might contain a knife, they will make you open it.

I always carry a Leatherman combination tool.

cookie7762
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
My boyfriend always carries his small utility knoife in his pocket, even at disneyland. However, I carry a purse and one time was told to throw away my rock star energy drink because it "could be alcoholic". I guess the overall concencus here is keeep it in your pocket, not in a bag or pouch and you should be fine.

potzbie
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
The irony.

There is a knife shop in "America's oldest theme park," Knott's Berry Farm.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Jim Bowie, I hardly knew ye!"
:crying:

simnia
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I was just thinking of that, too. I once bought a throwing knife in that Knott's knife store, and they just wrapped it up in paper and told me not to take it out of the package while I was in the park, which I didn't. Today's customers may not be as mature, however.

mistofviolets
05-07-2007, 04:23 PM
The irony.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LOL...I remember going there with my cousin and little brother. She and I were lazily watching him from a bench when she shrieks "He's got a knife!" and takes off. It took awhile before I figured who she was referring to. (and it wasn't a problem...I'm not sure he actually bought one...just scared her by looking.)

piratewench
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I've read numerous accounts now of folks who keep a knife in their pocket with no problem. That's what I plan to do in a month! :D

Andrew
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Just so it's clear: MousePlanet, Inc, does not support or recommend bringing prohibited items into Disneyland.

SoCalSteven
05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
As people have already stated, they don't check pockets, but they do notice pocket clips. Stupid policy really.

All I know is that if the lights go out I've got a flashlight, and if something terrible were to happen anywhere (not just DLR) I have a tool to help me, and potentially others, out of a sticky situation.

vegaspixie
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
This scenario reminds my of when we brought our son to Disneyland for his 13th birthday last December. I ordered one of the birthday gift baskets from Vacation Planning as a surprise left in our room at Paradise Pier. One of the items in the basket was a Pirates of the Carribean wallet with a chain that attaches to the belt loop. So my son loves the wallet, puts all of his stuff in it and we stroll down to Disneyland; and security stops my son at the checkpoint and tells him he CANNOT bring the wallet into the park unless he removes the chain. HUH? It's a Disneyland wallet!?!

bloodnswash
05-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Saw a girl at the check point yesterday that was not allowed in because of the saying on her shirt. I thought it was unfair because I've seen plenty of guys wearing "bad" things in the park (or their tattoos showing full frontal nudity).

Katlovett
05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
While I acknowledge the general utility of knives (and particularly the Leathermen combination tool - I keep one in my car's glovebox), I am unclear why people should expect to need their pocketknife at Disneyland under emergency circumstances that would prevent them from going back out to their car for it. I understand why you might need a kleenex instantly or a flashlight for evac from dark rides in case of emergency. A pocketknife, I do not understand why you might need it instantly.

Katprint

SoCalSteven
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
While I acknowledge the general utility of knives (and particularly the Leathermen combination tool - I keep one in my car's glovebox), I am unclear why people should expect to need their pocketknife at Disneyland under emergency circumstances that would prevent them from going back out to their car for it. I understand why you might need a kleenex instantly or a flashlight for evac from dark rides in case of emergency. A pocketknife, I do not understand why you might need it instantly.

Katprint

Think of all the seatbelts you are in on the rides. They are all controlled by the ride's system. What if the power goes out? Sure, there is a manual override, but that means a CM has to help you out. If there were a disaster, you might not have the time to wait for a CM to help you out.

Also, when I'm at Disneyland, or any other large place, whatever is left in the car might as well be left at home. It just takes way too long to get back to the car, especially if you need it in a pinch!

Of course, there are plenty of much less life threatening situations where a knife is handy, such as when the darn bag of candy just won't open! LOL!

simnia
05-08-2007, 02:32 PM
A pocketknife, I do not understand why you might need it instantly.

You can be sure I wouldn't be carrying extra weight in my pocket every day if it weren't useful! Year after year I run into endless situations where I need my knife: to open envelopes, to cut plastic tags off of clothes, to cut off a piece of tape from a bare roll, to evenly cut off receipt tape from a cash register, to cut open bags of peanuts, to cut open a freshly picked fruit, to cut off an ingrown toenail, to remove a splinter, to open a food/drink can whose tab broke off, to pry a wafer battery out of its slot, to shave away dirt from a corroded battery connection... and there is also a screwdriver on my pocket knife that is always as useful almost as often. That's the thing about a knife: you *don't* know in advance where and how you're going to need it, you just know that you will.

Andrew
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
That's the thing about a knife: you *don't* know in advance where and how you're going to need it, you just know that you will.
What he said. There isn't a day goes by that I don't appreciate the Leatherman on my belt for one reason or another, and that includes days at Disneyland.

mistofviolets
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I understand why you might need a kleenex instantly or a flashlight for evac from dark rides in case of emergency. A pocketknife, I do not understand why you might need it instantly.

I didn't used to understand either...and while I'm more a folding scissors type of girl, I've seen knives come in handy. Like at the walkathon; when a kid twisted their lapcard tightly around their neck...not serious; but we wanted that thing off *quickly*. Or the kid whose shoelace got stuck in the escalator. It didn't automatically turn off. But a quick moving bystander cut him lose. (Imagine if it had been a sweatshirt string...) Long hair tangled in jewelry (especially bracelets, or anklets, don't ask), trimming off tags from freshly purchased sunglasses or shoes or other wear, an unravelling blouse or sweater...there are good, non essential but definately sanity saving reasons to keep a small knife on hand. :D

capst
05-09-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm an officer of the law, so let me start out by saying I don't condone breakking the rules. I leave my gun at home when I'm at Disneyland as required. I don't like to, but I comply.

The security searches are very limited. One time I took my fanny pack and forget that I left a 2 inch pocket knife in it. They found it and it couldn't go in. I now carry it in my pocket and it will never be found unless they upgrade to airport style screening.

Since there are a dozen places I could be carrying a gun on my person that don't get searched, I would have to assume that there are a few bad guys in Disneyland on any given day carrying one. I just hope that they aren't bad guys who know me.

ladodgerjon
05-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Knotts isn't the only place that sells knives inside the gates of a theme park...

Disneyland has an extensive inventory of knives and swords inside one of its Fantasyland shops (located just inside the Castle's entrance-- it *might* be called the "Castle Heraldry Shoppe"). They also sell family crests on shirts, caps, etc., as well as miniature sculptures of knights-in-armor.

I bought a fairly impressive claymore sword there about a year ago. I wasn't allowed to carry it out of the shop -- or even pick it up at the exit gate -- but, rather, was told they would SHIP it to my home address (partially because of what they have stocked at the DLR location, and also because of security concerns).

I believe that this store is operated not by Disney, but by an outside firm.

darph nader
05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I always carry a knife with me,for work, in my pocket though. The chain on the wallet is new to me though,I mean what the heck?? I've had a chain-wallet for the past 10yrs,no problems,too weird.

h_lehmann
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
.....The chain on the wallet is new to me though,I mean what the heck?? I've had a chain-wallet for the past 10yrs,no problems,too weird.

I imagine that Disney probably has a list of what is and isn't allowed to be brought into the park. Unfortunately, these lists aren't created with a whole lot of thought. Almost anything could be used as a weapon, incite panic, or may cause someone in the park to go into allergic shock, but since they can't ban every single item known to man, they narrow it down to those that fit the stereotype of dangerous. The discussion probably went something like this:

Lawyer 1: "Wallet chains? Let's see, I once saw a Marlon Brando movie where he carried one of those wallets, and he was in a motorcycle gang, and we all know how those motorcycle gangs are. We better ban wallet chains."

Lawyer 2: "Great idea, but what about shoe laces? They can also be used to strangle someone just as easily as a wallet chain! Maybe we should only allow flip-flops and shoes with velcro closures to enter the park."

Lawyer 1: "Don't be silly. I can't imagine that anyone would actually strangle someone with a shoe lace; that only happens in the movies. Besides, that would inconvenience more than a small minority of the guests. Shoe laces are hereby deemed to safe. "

oregonn8v
05-14-2007, 06:18 AM
I carry a Leatherman Wave everywhere I go. Work, church, my daughters' school, family outings, etc. It has become another appendage for me and when I do forget it and I reach for it I end up spending the next ten minutes turniong around in circle trying to figure out what else will work.

For people who do not carry a pocket knife or multi-tool, it is hard to imagine why you would need one at Disneyland (and this may be the case), but when you are used to having one with you all the time, when something does come up, you never have to look very far because your Leatherman/Gerber/Swiss Army is always there.

I have, and will continue to take mine into Disneyland. I always carry it in a belt holster, but when I am going into Disneyland in the morning, I ususally have a sweatshirt on that covers it. I have never hidden it...I don't even think about it most of the time...so maybe I have just been lucky up to this point...hope my luck holds out.

Eric