PDA

View Full Version : Edison Square?

Kuzcotopia
06-16-2002, 09:29 AM
I heard from a cast member that they're gonna open a whole other street next to Main Street and it's gonna be about science and inventions of Thomas Edison.

I also heard about the adding of a whole other place behind where the Big Thunder Trail is and it's gonna be Discovery Bay, and it's gonna be where the new 20,000 Leagues under the sea ride is. Also Winnie the Pooh land is gonna be there.

And then, this is true, a cast member told me that there was gonna be a big waterslide that will take you to the third gate from Behind the matterhorn, and drop you off to Anahiem Disney Sea, which is going where Tiffy's is now.

When does all of this start construction? I already saw construction walls in Critter Country, is it starting now?

Oh, when does Buzz Lightyear open again?

;-)

Disney Nick
06-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Your lucky that smily face is there.... ;). I was about to go off on you like what's that liars name again.. OH YA.... tomorrowlandfan. Geez, so many people trying to pass off obviously false rumors...

disneylandishome
06-17-2002, 12:30 PM
I'm lost- is it true or false? NMoreles's post is confusing.

Rallymonkey23
06-17-2002, 12:44 PM
VERY, Very FALSE!!

Not Afraid
06-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the humorous cynicism! You did a very good job posting in the style of.......

hbquikcomjamesl
06-17-2002, 02:50 PM
Edison Square and Discovery Bay were two concepts that never made it off the drawing board for Anaheim. I believe the Discovery Bay concept (and if I remember right, WDW actually HAD a Discovery Bay at one time) was concurrent with a "Dumbo's Circus" concept, and both predated the Fantasyland rebuild. Had they been built, they would have gone into the area to the west of North Fantasyland, and both Dumbo and the Casey Jr. loading station would have been moved closer to the circus area. The rise of music videos as a fad, and the conversion of the Space Mountain Stage into the Magic Eye Theatre (with the resulting loss of a show/concert/dancing venue) doomed one to end up as Videopolis, and the rise of a general nostalgia for the Old West doomed the other to end up as Big Thunder Ranch.

If I remember right, "Edison Square" and "Liberty Street" were to go into what are now vital backstage areas, and they were part of what led to WDW-MK's Liberty Square.

RStar
06-17-2002, 03:58 PM
Whew, that would have been one Huge waterslide to get to that third gate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D WEEE!!!

Nigel2
06-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Will there be free towles to dry off the guests?:D

innerSpaceman
06-17-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
If I remember right, "Edison Square" and "Liberty Street" were to go into what are now vital backstage areas, and they were part of what led to WDW-MK's Liberty Square.
Actually, Edison Square was set to go in next to Main Street, on the Tomorrowland side, in the area where today's Lockers are. It's clearly indicated on many published maps of Disneyland from the 50's. As such, it looked like a shoe-in for an imminent addition. Alas, it never happened and Disney was wise enough (cynical enough?) to keep all other proposed additions off the official maps.

priyanka59
06-17-2002, 04:52 PM
No offense to you person, but you really need to catch up on these things, and I doubt a cast member would tell you that the NEW 20,000 leagues under the sea ride is going to be near Thunder Mountain Railroad. First of all think about these things:

1) the lands are themed so why would mermaids and mythical underwater creatures go with the wildwest?
2) there is interstate 5 behind disneyland if you have never been there, so there is no room left to build more, unless they knocked down the disneyland hotel and the disneyland pacific.
3)There has already been a 20,000 leagues ride and it has been closed. the 20,000 leagues was a replica of the submarine voyage except at WDW so why would they build the same thing again?
4)there is going to be an atlantis ride in the old submarine voyage pool, that is it.

OK!

HBTiggerFan
06-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by priyanka59
No offense to you person, but you really need to catch up on these things, and I doubt a cast member would tell you that the NEW 20,000 leagues under the sea ride is going to be near Thunder Mountain Railroad. First of all think about these things:

1) the lands are themed so why would mermaids and mythical underwater creatures go with the wildwest?
2) there is interstate 5 behind disneyland if you have never been there, so there is no room left to build more, unless they knocked down the disneyland hotel and the disneyland pacific.
3)There has already been a 20,000 leagues ride and it has been closed. the 20,000 leagues was a replica of the submarine voyage except at WDW so why would they build the same thing again?
4)there is going to be an atlantis ride in the old submarine voyage pool, that is it.

OK!

It was a Joke! :rolleyes:

Kuzcotopia
06-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by priyanka59

Okay first off, have you ever herd of SeaHorses? Get it? Underwater, Cow-mer-boys ride Sea Horses. Also, they have seaMonkeys as pets. That's just added for the kids.

Ah, but what's behind interstate 5?!!? The whole world, that's what. Lots of land, they could build it as far as they wanted, but they don't have to. It's an UNDERGROUND water slide, and all they need to do is bulldoze Tiffy's Restaurant to build the exit.

This one is better, it's like the DisneySea one, but at the end they shoot you to the moon, like the beginning of Paris Space Mountain.

Well, technically, they can make that pool anywhere they want by pumping out the water and putting it somewhere else. That water is what makes it a pool (without it, it's a hole, duh). So they just move the same water and it is the same pool, but in a different place. See?

Hey anyone know the date for soft opening on Star Tours Pod Race? They should be testing it any day now (saw sandbags strapped to the chairs last week!) COOL. Hope Jar-Jar is in it!!!1!

;-)

AVP
06-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Your lucky that smily face is there.... ;). I was about to go off on you like what's that liars name again.. OH YA.... tomorrowlandfan. Geez, so many people trying to pass off obviously false rumors...

OK, gang, there are a few people walking VERY CLOSE to a line here, and We The Moderators are Not Amused.

NMoreles, stop the name calling.

AVP

Not Afraid
06-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by AVP

We The Moderators are Not Amused.

And I am Not Afraid! Greetings!

(sorry, me bad person, must be serious) ;)

Sheila
06-17-2002, 09:51 PM
To interject a slight correction on Discovery Bay here:

Discovery Bay was a fantastic concept put together in approximately the early to mid-90's by Tony Baxter and the other fabulous Imagineers. It was to be based on Mysterious Island by Jules Verne and other wonderful ideas such as Geyser Mountain, a Chinatown, etc., etc. It was mind-blowing.

There was even a great little promotional video put together which I saw that featuring a Captain Nemo-like actor describing the land. The blueprints for Discovery Bay were, well, out of this world.

There was a buzz in the late '90s that Discovery Bay was rumored to go in where the Hunchback theatre and the old BBQ area is now plus it would take over the northern end of Tom Sawyer's Island.

I am drooling even now just thinking about it. With the way DL is being treated now, it's doubtful we'll ever see Discovery Bay as originally envisioned. Occasionally rumors surface that we still may see Geyser Mountain built, but I have not heard anything about even that for the last two years or so.

:sigh: Oh the "what ifs" that are going through my head. Instead of Discovery Bay, we get Paradise Pier. Bleahh.

Sheila

stinkerbell
06-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Holy Moly! Kuzcotopia's second post cracked me up like you wouldn't believe. My stomach hurts from laughing and my husband is looking at me funny now. That is good stuff. "The whole world, that's what!"

It was either really really funny or I'm really really tired. ;)

GREGOR
06-18-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Sheila
To interject a slight correction on Discovery Bay here:
Discovery Bay was a fantastic concept put together in approximately the early to mid-90's by Tony Baxter and the other fabulous Imagineers.

Actually, the concept was developed even earlier than that. I remember seeing an actual physical model of the new "land" in the early 80's in some gallery on Main Street. I only remember this because it was one of the times my grandmother had gone with us to DL and we were strolling through MS when we came upon it. She passed away in 1985.

It was located right where you mentioned. It's concept was the Golden Age of Discovery, hence Discovery Bay, and focused on the era of exploration and scientific discovery for what seemed like the 1800's.
I remember the model having Nemo's submarine (nuclear power), a hot-air balloon type ride (ala Around the World in Eighty Days), and the buildings around the Bay were styled after 1800-era San Fransisco-type buildings (SF was one of the busiest ports in the world not to mention the gold rush in the area at the time).

Sheila
06-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the additional info, Gregor! Always nice to hear more of the bits and pieces of the behind-the-scene stuff!

Sheila

coronamouseman
06-18-2002, 04:53 PM
I believe there is some other site where someone who calls herself the "Fabulous Disney Babe" or something like that has a huge posting on Discovery Bay, including the plans for some kind of hanging ride which was supposed to emulate flying in a dirigible (wasn't it called the Hyperion?) over the "Island at the Top of the World" from the Disney flop movie of the same name (starred the dreadful David Hartmann among others). I think there was also a boat ride planned which went into some kind of pool of dinosaurs but obviously USH has that concept reserved already .......

Wasn't Geyser Mt. just some rumor started by somebody who wanted to get Tower of Terror into DL and was desperately searching for a theme for it that would fit into the back corner of Frontierland? I think that fact that some Disney guy confirmed this for someone at the Orange County Register led to a story in their paper on this .........

Wouldn't that spot be better as simply a rock wall on the Frontierland side and Villian's Castle Roller Coaster housed in a castle seen in the distance from Fantasyland on the other side where the old Skyway Swiss Chalet is currently located?

LIMANDL4EVA
06-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
EXACTLY what i was gonna say, except i didnt see the smiley face until you pointed it out