PDA

View Full Version : We won a trip!

Pages : [1] 2

MelissaR
05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
My daughter's school had a raffle at one of their fundraisers last week. Tickets were $20 :eek: but the prize was a trip to Disneyland :D . I bought two tickets and... WE WON!!! It is a trip worth $1750, and we can stay wherever we want so we are thinking the GCH for four nights. We would have to pay an extra $300, but this is probably the only time we will be able to stay there (especially since we are going this July on a very expensive trip with my daughters dance studio). My question is... is it worth the extra money to stay there or should we go with the DLH which would be free? Also we are thinking of going the week after Thanksgiving which I have heard is slow (at least for the holiday season). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Vegitabeta
05-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Sorry I can't answer your question, but congrats! You lucky things:p

stan4d_steph
05-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Will you spend much time in the room? If not, then I would go for the DLH option. You can always go and lounge in the GCH lobby and eat in the restaurants there, but go back to your room at DLH when it's time to sleep.

If you think you will be spending more time in the room or close by, I would go with the extra expense of GCH. The rooms have balconies that are nice for lounging.

vicbella2
05-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Congratulation!!! I'd personally spend the extra $300 to stay at GCH for 4 nights if it's not going to put a strain on you financially . It's my favorite hotel among the 3.DLR hotels. We love the activiies geared towards kids like sorytelling by the hearth and the grand quest. We also really enjoy turn down service. We feel like we're being pampered at GCH. We've never been to DL around the holidays so I can't help you if the week after Thanksgiving is a good time.

rmarino74
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
The Grand Californian is my favorite, so my opinion may be biased.

Since we stayed at the GCH for the grand opening for Downtown Disney, we have stayed there EVERY time we go to Disneyland. Nothing compares to the GCH. You are right in the middle of the resort and the ease of access is fantastic.

I could go on and on, so for a mere $300 bucks...GO FOR IT!

Boo's Mommy
05-04-2007, 08:38 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I'd definitely stay at the Grand! That's our only choice of hotel, especially if it's only $300!! Though we've never stayed during the holidays, I read that it is soooooooo extra wonderful at the Grand during that time!

neverlander
05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
In my opinion, the GCH is well worth the $75/night you'd be paying.
Congratulations!

Leap for Joy
05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
I would take advantage of this opportunity to stay at the GCH! Like you said, when are you going to get a chance like this again?

with_5
05-04-2007, 08:59 AM
I say go for the Grand! Have a great trip.

avalosn
05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Okay, well I have stayed at all three hotels multiple times, so here is my thought. First, it depends where you are staying when you go in July. Are you staying at the Disneyland Hotel? If so, you may want to experience the Grand in Nov. if you have the extra $$$$.

But, if you are trying to save $$$$, the Disneyland Hotel is nice, clean and well-kept. I like it because I feel like it has DL history to it, more so than the other two. I also like the bar and the pool at the DLH better than the Grand.

The Grand is cool because it's "the Grand" and you get to tell everyone you stayed there, but the hype can actually be more than the hotel. The two pluses about the Grand are location (very close to DL and DCA) and if you go during the holidays, they have pretty decorations.

Be prepared though, it can feel like a maze in there after a long day at Disneyland and you are trying to find your room.

Just don't stay at the Paradise Pier unless you absolutely have to, it sucks!

biolabetty
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
You can't even stay 1 night at the GCH for $300 unless you have some amazing rate, I'd go for the Grand.

GORGON
05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Pay the $300.00 no question. I went for 10 days after Thanksgiving. It was great and not crowded. I remember eventually complaining to my kids that we had to wait 15 min. for a ride. The weekends .....that's a different matter. Go during the weekdays

bloodnswash
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I've stayed at all 3 resort hotels (two times each). I would definitely spend the extra $300 for the Grand. My favorite is the Grand, then Paradise Pier, and then the Disneyland Hotel. You wont regret it :) Congrats and have fun!!!

kc10family
05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
How Fabulous!

seanutbutter
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I can't recommend the GCH enough. I've stayed there the last two times I visited the DLR and found it to be more than I expected. It's worth the money, though I shouldn't be talking (I didn't pay for the hotel; my parents did).

Anyway, I say you should go for it. It'll make your trip that much better. And congratulations on winning the trip, too!

jaymesmom617
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
this is probably the only time we will be able to stay there

I would do it, especially if you think that it would be the only chance you would get to stay there. $300 for a once in a lifetime.... I would do it!

Congrats!! I hope you have a great trip!!!

BraMax
05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Congrats that is sooooo great. I've never stayed at the GCH but I have been the week after Thanksgiving and it was really slow when we were there at least during the week. I think the longest we waited for a ride was like 15 minutes.

jenpace
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
WOW!! Congratulations, you must be so excited!!

If it were me, I would spend the extra $300.00 to upgrade to the GCH in a heartbeat!

Either way, you're going to have a blast :)

Jen

TiggerRPh
05-04-2007, 07:59 PM
First of all....Congratulations!!!!

I personally think it's worth paying $300 to stay there...it's really the only DL hotel that's Disney themed. I'm not saying that the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel aren't good...they are. The GCH is fabulous and very well done.

Bumbershoot
05-04-2007, 09:05 PM
How awesome. Congratulations on winning this trip. I never win anything!!

misdisney
05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Congrats, Thats very cool that you won this trip. I've never stayed at the GCH but have stayed at the DH a few times and we love it. The Neverland Pool is my daughters fav. and I love jumping into bed at night and turning out the lights and looking at the pixie dust border around the room. (it glows in the dark) No matter what you chose your Going to Disneyland. We like to go the 2nd week in Nov. and the park is slow, the decor. at the park is amazing and whatever you do don't miss the fireworks they make it SNOW down mainstreet, you'll love it..
Have a great trip!

Clotho
05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
I have to chime in and say DO GCH! If for nothing else, so I can live vicariously through you! You can't get $300 per NIGHT let alone $300 per trip any other time! DO IT!

Vegitabeta
05-05-2007, 04:18 AM
I have to chime in and say DO GCH! If for nothing else, so I can live vicariously through you! You can't get $300 per NIGHT let alone $300 per trip any other time! DO IT!
Lol, I think you're gonna have to go to the GCH or Clotho will hunt you down and put you out of your misery!:eek:

kennythepirate
05-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Congrats!

Clotho
05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Lol, I think you're gonna have to go to the GCH or Clotho will hunt you down and put you out of your misery!:eek:

LOL! You mean MY misery! It's all about me, after all!:fez: