PDA

View Full Version : Club 33 Original Lunch Buffet vs Current Lunch Buffet

wookieecantina
05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Hello,
For those who have experienced the past and current buffet at the club, I was curious to know your thoughts.
Personally, I greatly enjoyed the past buffet as the hot entrees were more varied and you were able to sample everything instead of ordering from a limited menu. It was quite enjoyable. Now however, the portions are smaller, the menu is limited, and I'm just not sure quality is being maintained. These are just my thoughts, I'd like to hear what others have to say.
Thanks!
http://www.disneylandclub33.com/buffet.htm

bloodnswash
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I've been to Club 33 twice......November 2005 and March 2006. It was pretty much the same both times. I'm a little confused on what you are saying, though. Because my visits were so close together I must not know about the old days. :) Did it used to be that it was all buffet (no menu) and that was your meal? And now it's more of a menu? Cuz they have the buffet where you can get the shrimp, cold cuts, etc. I will say that when I've ordered steak from the menu I've thought it to be kinda small and not very many potatoes to go with it. BUT, the two different types of steak that I had were excellent.

wookieecantina
05-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Hello,
Thanks. You're correct, the original buffet featured three to four hot entrees served via large steam pans along the buffet line. They were great! You could actually go back as many times as you would like, sample everything and they also had a wonderful pasta bar. At the pasta bar a hostess would prepare your pasta with a number of ingredients of your choice while you watched. I miss this tremendously. I agree with you, the portions are very small.
Thank you for input!:D
Almost forgot! Here are links to the original buffet
http://www.disneylandclub33.com/buffet.htm
Here are links to the current
http://www.disneylandclub33.com/New%20Lunch%20Buffet.htm

bloodnswash
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Dang, sounds like we missed out on some good stuff. :) And Pasta Bar??!! My two guys would have gone crazy over that!

wookieecantina
05-02-2007, 10:36 AM
They actually had penne pasta and our favorite, Mickey shaped pasta. Pretty funny to see grown men in line for Mickey Mouse pasta, but heck, it was great! I was right there amongst them, standing in line with my little plate. Felt like Oliver Twist!

bloodnswash
05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Really sounds like we missed out. I just told my 17 year old about the pasta bar (March of last year we celebrated his 16 birthday at Club 33). He was bummed, lol. When you go back maybe you can ask what happened to the "good old days" of the hot food buffet and pasta bar. I was actually a little disappointed on the dessert buffet. My two guys were fine with it all. I just must be too picky. :) Although, Club 33 has the best hot chocolate!!! I think it is the same hot chocolate that is served for the Fantasmic Balcony Buffet. YUM!!!

My son always quotes Oliver Twist, "Please sir, can I have some more?" LOL! Too much fun :p

wabby1
05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
We had lunch there in June of 2005, and it was excellent. We had the lunch buffet, along with a main course. So are you saying that its been changed since then?

wookieecantina
05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Hello,
I can't remember what year it was changed, but they removed the hot entrees and changed the ordering to a menu. This limited the guest to one specific entree. They still maintain the chilled crab, coldcuts, patte, and so on. I was very disapointed with the change. I loved their roasted pork and their fish was incredible. I asked why they switched and the stated it was at the request of certain members who wanted the entrees served instead of standing in line. That was their answer, but I tend to believe it was an effort to cut back. I also noticed the dessert bar was much smaller. Oh well. Perhaps in time, if enough guests complain, they'll switch back to the original version.

The Blue Parrot
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Having enjoyed both, I think it comes down to a quality, control and labor issue.

As mentioned, the previous version had a selection of entrees and side dishes that you could enjoy. These were kept warm in steam table trays - essentially, water warmed by canned fuel boils making steam that heats the bottom of the covered trays the food was served to guests from. It's not the best way to go as the foods tend to deteriorate as they sit. It also takes extra staff to man the food service location as well as keep the trays fresh from the kitchen.

Pasta had not been served over the last few years, except for special events such as Candlelight. It uses a series of very high amperage electric pan warmers to cook the pasta in what ever accompaniements are selected by the guests. I've been told that these expensive cooking units frequently over tax the electrical circuits and have a relatively short operating life. And they also required additional staff to man and replentish the pasta station.

Now the entrees can be prepared and plated as needed and brought directly to the table. It keeps the quality up and eliminates wasted food.

As much as I have enjoyed the pasta, I can't complain that it is gone. I have seen it offered as an entree choice on at least one visit for brunch.

Overall, the new concept does work well from my perspective as an occasional guest and a customer service (and sometimes food service) professional.

And no, don't ask... I can't get you in. Sorry.

wookieecantina
05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Good input to be sure. Thanks. I would still prefer the original buffet, as it's always quite upsetting to see cutbacks due to staffing or some financially fueled motive to increase profits. I tend to hold the club to a higher standard of service, quality, and uniqueness knowing they are catering to a more select audience who, while not afraid to spend a bit more per person, do expect their monies worth. For those who have not experienced the previous lunch, they'll no doubt be impressed and enjoy the current version.

Park Freak
05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I liked it the old way. By the time I eat the entree I'm pretty full, and then I can't fully appreciate the buffet.
But either way, I'll be there as often as I can!!

The Red Head
05-04-2007, 08:03 AM
I know this thread is about the buffet, but I like going for dinner better than lunch, so when I have a chance to go to the Club, I would usually go for dinner. That being said, I liked the old style buffet, but the only thing I really miss about it is the pasta. And I get my fix during the special occasions like Candlelight and private functions during the year. As far as the plated entrée, I don’t think they serve small portions; I am always very full after eating lunch there. I know some people feel that serving a plated meal is classier than buffet style. I don’t know where Opus1 is, because I am sure he will have more information on this than I do, but I recall hearing somewhere that lunch used to be a plated meal, and it changed to a buffet. So the fact that they have changed it to half buffet, half plated meal, is sort of going back to what it was originally.

wookieecantina
05-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Sounds like most of us prefer the original buffet. It's great to hear I'm not alone. Yes, the pasta was a really unique item, my daughter loved it and it was fun to watch it get cooked. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that perhaps the club will reconsider and bring back the old buffet. Let's hope the new manager has unique ideas that will enhance the club.

The Red Head
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Sounds like most of us prefer the original buffet. It's great to hear I'm not alone. Yes, the pasta was a really unique item, my daughter loved it and it was fun to watch it get cooked. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that perhaps the club will reconsider and bring back the old buffet. Let's hope the new manager has unique ideas that will enhance the club.

I did say I liked the old style buffet, and I missed the pasta, but I didn't mean to make it sound like I preferred the old buffet. I actually don't have a preference. Since I can get the pasta a couple of times a year, during special occasions, I think the new style lunch is just fine. I think the quality of food is good, and the portions are more than enough.

Pinkhoody
05-07-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm shocked to see tongs resting right on the food ala Fresh Choice or Sizzler... ew!

You'd think they'd know what they're doing.

Lani
05-10-2007, 01:41 PM
I will say that when I've ordered steak from the menu I've thought it to be kinda small and not very many potatoes to go with it.By its definition, serving portions at buffets SHOULD be small. You can always go back for more, as a general rule.

MrTomMorrow
05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Hmm... too bad about the change to a cold buffet...

KDR
05-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Hmm... too bad about the change to a cold buffet...

They didn't change to a cold buffet. There always was a cold section to the buffet. All they did was change the heated portion of the buffet to table service, leaving the cold section as a buffet.

wookieecantina
05-10-2007, 10:38 PM
It was very enjoyable to read everyone's reviews and opinions. Thanks for pitching in. As for my family, yes, we prefer the old buffet and since they changed we have thusly cut back substantially on visiting for lunch. Thankfully however, dinners are still wonderful and the night time setting makes the meal that much better. I do miss Simon however, he was a terrific assistant manager.

Tikiman
05-11-2007, 05:56 AM
I like the old buffet but I am sure the new changes are good as well.

Aloha

Steve

The Blue Parrot
05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
I added a column today on the web site that has some views of the old and new. Check it out if you have a chance.

www.theblueparrot.info

wookieecantina
05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
I added a column today on the web site that has some views of the old and new. Check it out if you have a chance.

www.theblueparrot.info

Nice addition to the site. Many times when guests visit the club, they're a little apprehensive about the shooting photos. It's nice to view yours. Good Job!