PDA

View Full Version : Changes at Ariels [character photos]

hlbtimes2
05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
We had lunch at Ariels yesterday. I must say, it was probably my only complaint about the entire trip (5 days in the park). We were told upon entering that Ariel would be leaving soon, so we would have a chance to meet her at the bottom of the steps. The her 4 friends would be around during our meal.

We got to the bottom of the step and there she was. My dd was so excited. It is her favorite princess and she has wanted to go to this meal for our last 2 trips. Anyway, we sent the kids up for autographs. They had their photographer take a picture. I asked if we could photo pass it, and was told no, they would print them and bring them to our table. DH tried to get a picture of just dd, with out little brother, with Ariel. We were rudely told "there isnt time for individual pictures" and rushed out. The woman that was rude pointed to the line on the steps and said there were people waiting.

My gripe is, they brought the pictures around to sell to us during the meal. They wanted $29. We were already spending $86 for the 4 of us to have lunch. We couldnt spend another $30 on photos. I'm a bit mad that it is a meal with Ariel, but you only have about 30 seconds with her as you walk in.
They have totally turned it into another way to get your money. and I really dont understand why they couldnt make it part of photopass- other then pure greed. I dont say that often, and dont typically have a huge problem with park prices. But this just struck me in a bad way.

When we have done meals at Minnies and Goofys they sure didnt limit our interaction or try to sell us expensive photo packages!

acpalmer
05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
When we have done meals at Minnies and Goofys they sure didnt limit our interaction or try to sell us expensive photo packages!

I've heard from a few different sources that they are now doing this at Goofy's, as well. I haven't heard one way or the other about the other character meals.

I agree with you, I don't like this set up.

houseofmouse
05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
So sad. :crying: My daughter and I were just there in March and Ariel came to our table and took pics with my daughter and chatted. I like it this way much better. We are going back for Ariels in June with some friends from here in Colorado, maybe they will get enough complaints they won't do this anymore.

mommy-san
05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
What's next? Pay admission for an audience with Cinderella at the Princess FF? Or Pay to do Jedi Training? How about bribes for your favorite teacup? I am more than willing to pay outrageous prices for mediocre food at the park because I know everything else was included in my admission ticket. I am quite insulted at the idea that you pay (ALOT) to do a character meal, and then are told you also have to pay for the memory? And get rushed along in the process?
When we went to Ariels for dinner, we just assumed that the princesses shifts would encompass at least some duration of our meal! They came out and left in stages- but not before every table had been properly greeted.

Call and complain. I would.

houseofmouse
05-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Okay so I called Disneyland talked with someone who said Ariels just changed two weeks ago. A long time ago where Ariel is now, she used to be the Mermaid on some rocks. You could do pics with her before going in. Then they stopped. Now for continueity (sp) reasons she is there again in her dress. Since it is her grotto they thought it right to have her there greeting you as you go in. I asked about taking pictures with your own camera and they said yes you should be able to do that. So I am not sure why the above poster was told no but could depend on the mood of the CMs there. She is said it is likely to stay that way and now they have 5 princess' walking around since Ariel is not but she did not say who the other is. Hope this helps. Bums me out but Ariel is not my dd's favorite Belle is.:)

chelebele
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
No way I'm paying that much for a picture. You can still take pictures with your own camera? correct? My just turned four year old and I have reservations on May 15, and she's really looking forward to it. Cinderella is her favorite. I hope they don't ruin this for her, it will probably be the only time we ever get to go, since we live so far away. Thanks for the heads up tho!

Michele

potterphreak
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
How weird!! We did Ariels dinner 3 times during the year of our APs and she just went to every table like every other Princess. TOO WEIRD!!! And no one took pictures for us. Hmm!!!

Malcon10t
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
I am surprised at the $30 for the pics. We usually do pics at Goofy's (we get pics of our pups with Pluto) and I don't think they are that much there, but we generally get a couple sheets, and we do get the AP discount. I think the $30 is for a package.

cactusgirl
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
HA! I posted almost the exact same thing in the review section for Ariel's Grotto. They did allow me to take ONE picture with my camera, but I wanted just a single 5x7 of my daughter and I, but I was told they DID not do photopass--it was the package or nothing. We had a little friend with us and I had to choose between having a picture of the 2 girls and Ariel, the three of us or my daughter and I. There was no line, but they were sticking to the "One pose per group." I guess it is because they print out the entire package for you to preview. Ugh!

ochibiyo
05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Yup, they changed it and I wasn't too pleased with the set up either! We knew we were going to pay a huge bill for lunch so we were rude at the picture taking area. We would usually NEVER do this, but it was are they CRAZY! I would never pay about $25 for a 5x7! When we had to wait for Ariel, they told us to wait on the staircase, I mean we were breaking some major fire rules here. We waited a LONG ten minutes, till finally it was our turn. So in line, even if the lady was pushing us to leave to our table, we just hung around and took pics. We had two in our party who had to take separate pictures with Ariel, so we did, with two different cameras. So go for it!

kennythepirate
05-05-2007, 07:14 AM
I would have asked for management in that situation. You should be free to snap some photos for yourself. With all the Character meals we've done at WDW we've always been accomodated with our requests for photos. Even at Cindy's Castle where they give you the photos as part of your package, they allowed us to use our camera too.

You're not paying for the food there, you're paying for time with the characters.

kc10family
05-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Maybe they are trying to see if the guest will pay for the pictures. If they find people are not happy with it, they might make it go away.

ChipmunkStar
05-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I'd just like to point out one thing befre everyone gets into a tizzy:

The OP was able to take pictures on their camera, but not INDIVIDUAL pictures. They were able to use their own camera. They were not able to ut the pictures on their Photopass, but their camera was still able to be used.

</interception>

Koala Gurl
05-05-2007, 10:05 AM
We were just there too and had this set up. It was an empty day though, and there wasn't a line at all. I got to take quite a few pictures.

The think I didn't like though, I would have bought pictures if it WAS photo pass. But I passed this time since I couldn't see all of the pictures they took (they only showed us one picture out of about 5 or 6 that the photographer took.

I wonder how much money they waste printing everything out??

BQ2
05-05-2007, 05:56 PM
It's the same @ Goofy's kitchen now. We were there on April 19th for DS 6 yo b-day. We just wanted a 5x7, they said $30 package or nothing. FYI: Package was one 5x7 with Pluto and a 5x7 of goofy, signed by goofy.

BTY: The character interaction was so bad we may NEVER go back. Goofy came by twice in 2 hours. That was it!! It was better 2 years ago, Lots of visitors, but last year was like this year. Very very dismal...:confused:

They did allow me to take ONE picture with my camera, but I wanted just a single 5x7 of my daughter and I, but I was told they DID not do photopass--it was the package or nothing. Ugh!

Koala Gurl
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Though, I guess the good thing is that they now have a full bar even if the Cove Bar isn't open. ;)

They have some blue martini-type drink that comes with a light up ice cube.

hlbtimes2
05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd just like to point out one thing befre everyone gets into a tizzy:

The OP was able to take pictures on their camera, but not INDIVIDUAL pictures. They were able to use their own camera. They were not able to ut the pictures on their Photopass, but their camera was still able to be used.

</interception>

Yes, we were able to take A PICTURE. We paid for FOUR people to eat there. I expect to have at least one picture of each of my two children. I dont think two pictures for a party of four was asking for much. We spent $86 on lunch. Lunch with Ariel, however we didnt all get to visit with Ariel. It wasnt what I thought I was paying for.:confused: And if I feel like getting in a tizzy over it I will, thank you very much.

ChipmunkStar
05-06-2007, 12:42 AM
hbl, I was referring to everyone else being in a tizzy because it seemed like they thought you meant that you weree unable to take ANY pictures on your camera at all. By all means, go on with it. I was simply clearing up the misconception that you were unable to get any shots at all of your own.

:)

renodlandlover
05-07-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm now starting to worry about the decisions to fork over major bucks (to us anyway) for Goofy's Kitchen. Last year, about 5 characters came by for pix and autographs, and the kids loved it. We have PS for Goofy's on a Tuesday during our trip....any other input about quality character time there or at Ariel's Grotto? My DD loves Belle!!!!!

hawaiimom
05-07-2007, 10:12 AM
That's a shame they decided to make these changes. We go to Ariel's every single trip. Like everyone else says, the food is ok but the character interaction is what you're there for. I love how my daughter's face lights up and she can't sit still when she sees one of the princesses coming. It's such a nice ritual for us to dress her in a princess costume for the lunch.

So will I stop going to the princess lunch? Probably, as her favorites are Ariel and Cinderella and we can get a nice visit with Ariel at her shell. We'll just have to cross our fingers and hope we run across Cinderella somewhere.

Is there a link where I can leave feedback about this?

MermaidHair
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
It seems to me that management has made the change with Ariel to get more $. Perhaps it is the restaurant's management, not the parks. I say this because they do not have Photopass access for these pictures. Seems to me, if the overall goal is to make $$ for the parks, they would go back to their old system of having Ariel go to each table and have a photopass photog follow her around and take pictures with everyone, individuals and groups. Clearly, in trying to add character photos, they broke a system that was working fine before.